3D model for a class project

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
This is the first model Ive finished so far for a small animation that I have for one of my finals this term. Its not fancy but it took me a while to get all the curves right. Its better than the other models Ive done.

test.jpg

Next I have to model out the bowling ball and the scene itself (which is going to take me a while).

aria

Former Moderator
I'm no expert in this stuff, but looks pretty good. I'm thinking the Big Lebowski dream sequence when I look at it and how it's shadowed.

"Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! What condition my condition was in!"

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
test2.jpg

Heres the pin with a simple bump I found so it would look a little more realistic and with the bowling ball I just made.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
:kekeke:

C'mon Nes you can do better.

PS. don't go all texture crazy like so many kids do when they start 3DSM/Viz.

I made an exploding clown for one of my projects. The teacher really liked my liver I lovingly rendered.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
Well they seems good modeleded, but the render is some dirty, i think that you are using max, dont you?, 3d max have one of the worst native render algorithm try to render it on another software like lightwave or mental ray, your work is good but, not all is about the model, the final render is influencied by other things too, like the illumination, the texturing, and the ambientation, maybe you can try to render it on lightwave with global illumination, and raytracing in all, the result will be other, with same models, i hope that you have success. :glee:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I forget what my first model looked like. I think I had a cube that I sub-divided and pulled vertices out on to make some shitty looking face, then mesh-smoothed it to death. Anyone know if MAX has a built in global illumination renderer now? I had to use Brazil when I last touched the program.

Yeah, I think the bowling pin needs less bump map, and maybe adjust the specularity to make it shiny...same for the ball. Add a couple more lights.

Gowcaizer

Armored Scrum Object
Well this is a tree light render, 2 area lights (one used as a principal light and the other as a fill), and a back light, if you see, the result is other with a worst models (i did them fast, sorry), the trick is in the surface, the parameters are luminosity 5%, diffuse 80%, specularity 85%, glossiness 45%, reflection20% and they have no bump; the floor have luminosity0, diff100, spec40, gloss40, reflection15, i hope this help you, your models are not bad they just need more work in render, my first model was a try of a horse, but i never get that it seems like one, the render was made in lightwave 7.5
bowlingtest1.jpg

Sundance

Sho's Rival
That Bowling ball reminds me of the the Sphere in Phantasm. The reflection is uncanny. I think the size of the pin is too small for the ball though. Its a cool pick none-the-less.
Gowcaizer said:

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Gowcaizer said:
Well this is a tree light render, 2 area lights (one used as a principal light and the other as a fill), and a back light, if you see, the result is other with a worst models (i did them fast, sorry), the trick is in the surface, the parameters are luminosity 5%, diffuse 80%, specularity 85%, glossiness 45%, reflection20% and they have no bump; the floor have luminosity0, diff100, spec40, gloss40, reflection15, i hope this help you, your models are not bad they just need more work in render, my first model was a try of a horse, but i never get that it seems like one, the render was made in lightwave 7.5
bowlingtest1.jpg

Yeah Nesagwa's bump map is a little too bumpy! However, the image we see here is too glossy for the real world. Are we striving for realism or a shiny fantasy? The truth lies somewhere between the two.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
makes me wanna post some of my old models

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I was trying to go for a more real world look, but I also couldnt figure out how to make them reflect without having that 3D computer graphics shine.

I just did a quick render in Max, not sure if we have LightWave or another renderer.

These models are going to be for a short animation though, so Im more worried about getting them to move correctly than the textures and stuff at this point.

I havent had a texturing class yet either, so I was just trying to pretty it up for the time being.

Last edited:

rodolfocm

Another Striker
The real ball wouldn't reflect that much and the pin WOULDN'T reflect.
Google some images.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
rodolfocm said:
The real ball wouldn't reflect that much and the pin WOULDN'T reflect.
Google some images.

A well used pin wouldnt reflect much at all.

Neither would a worn out ball.

New is a different story.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Nesagwa said:
A well used pin wouldnt reflect much at all.

Neither would a worn out ball.

New is a different story.
Still the ball and the pin are looking "metalic", and I never saw those in metalic color.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
rodolfocm said:
Still the ball and the pin are looking "metalic", and I never saw those in metalic color.

Oh youre talking about his models.

I thought we were just talking about bowling balls in general.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
43396_PRETTY%20BOWLING%20BALL.JPG

See? They most reflect light and not the enviroment.

Same for the pin:
PinTypes01.jpg

Note that the reflect light is a small point, not as big as in your 3D.

The second one you made looks more real.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Mines the one that isnt reflective at all, not the metallic ones BTW.

I need to get mine to reflect things that are really close to it very faintly.

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
This is the first model Ive finished so far for a small animation that I have for one of my finals this term. Its not fancy but it took me a while to get all the curves right. Its better than the other models Ive done.

test.jpg

Next I have to model out the bowling ball and the scene itself (which is going to take me a while).

It DOES look like the Big Lebowski dream sequence!

Haha. I want to see the dude floating by on his rug!

Looks good though. 3dsmax? or?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Yeah 3D max 7.

Today I did a glass bottle for another project.

I was suprised at how easy it was to hollow out the shape after I lathed it. Just a quick extrude and then a chamfer. Simple dimple.

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Yeah 3D max 7.

Today I did a glass bottle for another project.

I was suprised at how easy it was to hollow out the shape after I lathed it. Just a quick extrude and then a chamfer. Simple dimple.

Wow. 3dsmax 7? Wtf. I'm dating myself here, but I took 1 yr of 3D in college, and we learned on 3dsmax on 2.5.

Are you planning to do 3d full time? Or just a class or 2?

I initially wanted to do 3d, but its sooo tedius and time consuming, after the class was over I haven't touched it.

An observation, for some reason people who do 3d do it full time and that's all they do. Its rare to find a designer who does 3d and design work. Im not sure why this is, but it holds true for the most part...

As for me, I need the instant gratification of web development. :D

I still remember waiting overnight for rendering in the Rendering Farm on campus (like 12 machines hooked up specifically for rendering), sleeping in the lab and ordering pizza to the lab as well. Are the render times any better for the animations?

Heh. Does it still use a dongle for verification?

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Were supposed to have a "Render Drive" set up this term that uses any of the computers not in use to render faster.

Ive seen people render shit for over a day though, and thats just for stills.

I have to take a lot of 3D classes since Im majoring in Game Design. Its sort of a given. Its ok, I like it for what its worth. I like writing and just doing design work too, so any of them are fine by me.

Lets see, we have to take 3D Modeling 1, 2, 3. Scene Development was a 3D Animatic class. Intro to 3D Animation. Low Polygon Modeling. Probably a few more.

The fun part is going to be making this stuff into games next year :emb: