$22k for a FAKE Big Tournament Golf

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The sealing sticker inside the case is a huge giveaway as SNK had stopped using those on homecarts by 1996. My money is on this being a NCI repro.

This was actually being auctioned for a charity, and it's possible that the sellers did not know enough about fakes to have known any better.

Either way, if I was the buyer I'd be pissed because that thing won't even contain genuine MVS ROM chips.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
The sealing sticker inside the case is a huge giveaway as SNK had stopped using those on homecarts by 1996. My money is on this being a NCI repro.
I noticed that as well. I recall there was some overlap with the sealing stickers on snap cases back then. It wasn't talked about much on the forum but I did find some banter here.

Regardless, 22K is a healthy roll of the dice without a plane ticket.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Yeah, afaik only a few clamshell games ever had the sealing sticker and they were basically leftovers from the soft cases SNK stuck on until they ran out. So you might have some of the same game with and without.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I noticed that as well. I recall there was some overlap with the sealing stickers on snap cases back then. It wasn't talked about much on the forum but I did find some banter here.

Regardless, 22K is a healthy roll of the dice without a plane ticket.

So, to the best of my knowledge, and experience, the rectangular clear and white sticker was used by SNK on, if not all, of the soft case games up until those cases were dropped in 1995 with the release of Fatal Fury 3. A few snap-lock games over 1995 continued to use the soft case seal, but by the end of the year SNK had moved to using a small black circular sticker with the neo-geo logo on it.

Now, that's not to say that SNK may have continued to randomly apply whatever left over stock of clear sealing stickers they had - especially as they were inconsistent as fuck with just about everything - but my general rule of thumb is by 1996 the practice had ended.

I think by 1998 they just stopped using sealing stickers period.

If anyone here knows different it would either be @Shito or @massimiliano .

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
but by the end of the year SNK had moved to using a small black circular sticker with the neo-geo logo on it.

Is this the same sticker they used on SS5S to indicate fixed? I've never seen one on a snaplock case.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Is this the same sticker they used on SS5S to indicate fixed? I've never seen one on a snaplock case.
Yes, very similar. I've seen them on KoF '95, Waku Waku 7, Metal Slug 2, AoF 3, and I'm pretty sure SSIV as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I was playing NTM on an original homecart a few days ago. It had major sunfade but cost less than 1/100th of this.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
So, to the best of my knowledge, and experience, the rectangular clear and white sticker was used by SNK on, if not all, most of the soft case games up until those cases were dropped in 1995 with the release of Fatal Fury 3. A few snap-lock games over 1995 continued to use the soft case seal, but by the end of the year SNK had moved to using a small black circular sticker with the neo-geo logo on it.

Now, that's not to say that SNK may have continued to randomly apply whatever left over stock of clear sealing stickers they had - especially as they were inconsistent as fuck with just about everything - but my general rule of thumb is by 1996 the practice had ended.

If anyone here knows different it would either by @Shito or @massimiliano .

Basically I agree with your knowledge, according to my own experience and researches. :-)

Just a minor difference though, I think SNK finally stopped using the "original" sealing transparent NEO·GEO carts sticker someway in 1996, despite having used it quite randomly ever since the release of the "new style snaplock cases" in 1995, for which that sticker was not designed for to begin with, hence most likely having been slapped on new style carts just as some sort of leftover stock. I've seen quite some bran-new NOS 1996 JPN NEO•GEO games "sealed" with that for sure, up to KOF96 at least, but again, quite randomly.

SNK use of the tiny, round-shaped colourful NEO·GEO stickers seems also totally random to me, if not even "whimsical". Never ever been able even to figure out if that was actually created and intended as the proper "new seal" for the "new style" cases. Appears on 1996, 1996 and 1997 carts. Than no more. Than – ahah – re-appears to mark the "officially reprogrammed" copies of SSZsp.

I swear SNK production lines where almost like an artisan's workshop. Hence part of the unique fascination with their not-so-mass-marketed products, huh?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

Was pointed out the insert is a repro.

Nowadays, even if you have bought aes games in the past from japan or from shops in japan, you could discover to own a fake as in the past the market was flooded with fake home carts and first suckers were jap shops.

Just an observation, but why not post this before the auction ended? Apparently there was some alleged FB group banter about it, but why not post here BEFORE the auction ended?

I'd also like to better understand the aforementioned repro insert. With lack of high-res pics, I/we would like to better understand how this was determined. For example, if the insert were allegedly mis-cut or trimmed, I'm not seeing that when comparing to other copies of BTG including the one sold on YAJ in October. So, do tell.

Cutting to the chase, were you a bidder?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Just an observation, but why not post this before the auction ended? Apparently there was some alleged FB group banter about it, but why not post here BEFORE the auction ended?

I'd also like to better understand the aforementioned repro insert. With lack of high-res pics, I/we would like to better understand how this was determined. For example, if the insert were allegedly mis-cut or trimmed, I'm not seeing that when comparing to other copies of BTG including the one sold on YAJ in October. So, do tell.

I guess repros will now start selling for teh $$$$$$$$

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member

On a FB group there is a comparison between inserts and the one auctioned is cut short of some mms.

I have no interest in home carts.

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
This auction has just confirmed my thoughts on the Neo Geo scene: People know the price of everything and the value of nothing. A dumb world.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Guys…the sort of crooks and landed gentry who pay $22,000 for video games don’t care to learn that they are fake. They won’t even check their copy. They want to either hide money or launder it. They want it to be worth $22,000+ forever. They want all copies to be worth $22,000+ forever. You’d think such a scam on the wealthy would be followed up by a professional hit but…Tonk, Dion, ChrisR all still live. Obviously the marquis and princes and dons and bitcoin crooks don’t care. Not even the Pope cared.

Most of these fucks don’t even understand what “fake” is.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
My KOF98 and 99 copies, both have sealing stickers. It's maybe from an Hong Kong division tho. They look very alike the one from the KOF98 wooden box set.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I swear SNK production lines where almost like an artisan's workshop.
Same with their graphic design. Every insert, a special unique snowflake. Almost nothing (logo, meg count, company names, game names) was consistent from game to game on the insert.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Interesting info from both Tarma and Shito, I learned a little something. :cheers:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
My KOF98 and 99 copies, both have sealing stickers. It's maybe from an Hong Kong division tho. They look very alike the one from the KOF98 wooden box set.
I have seen a KoF '98 with the small round NG logo sticker, but not the old style one. As I say, the big issue we all have is that SNK were so bloody inconsistent.

Still, I standby the conclusion that BTG is a boot, I've not really studied the insert, I don't have the time or inclination.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I have seen a KoF '98 with the small round NG logo sticker, but not the old style one. As I say, the big issue we all have is that SNK were so bloody inconsistent.

Still, I standby the conclusion that BTG is a boot, I've not really studied the insert, I don't have the time or inclination.
Here they are:
IMG-20230419-WA0002.jpg