18 Sealed STADIUM EVENTS and HUNDREDS more RARE NES Flooding Market :)

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think this shows (especially the NA thread) how many guys are in it for the money. I'm not sure this will effect loose collecting much, but this could hurt sealed collecting a bit. Good wake up call that there could be tons of this stuff out there somewhere brand new. I think it is great, hope some it actually ends up on eBay.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Non disclosure agreement?

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
If anything this is good but its only a temporary thing. It will help deinflate some of the moronic prices that cart games have gotten up to. But once horders buy these all up the prices will spike up to stupid again.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The best threads are on Nintendoage (where they are raging about their items being devalued) and reddit.

your%2Btears%2Bare%2Bdelicious.jpg

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've got no sympathy for people who buy games as investments and get upset when it turns out to not be the sure thing they expected. That's the risk with any investment. Also, LOL at sealed collecting.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
All of my future sales will include non disclosure agreements. I am excite.

The best is the goofs who quickly abbreviate as if they do this all the time. (uppity British accent) "Aherm, I routinely ask my buyers to sign NDA's. It's par for the course, sir."

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
That guy is amazing. patthenespunk did a video about this, and it was quite hilarious. They were all for the idea of devaluation of him being like 'oh hey, you wanna use games as investments, suck a dick' type mindset. Shit's awesome.

I love mofo's who can just destroy the value of games as investments by having collateral damage waiting in wait in the back room.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It may or may not turn out to be true, but regardless, I can say that this has happened several times in the past with Atari 2600 games. So it is absolutely always a possibility and something we easily forget can happen at any time.

EDIT: After reading up on this, I'd be worried about the "reverse con" as a possibility here as well. Create the illusion that the market value is about to collapse in order to lower current asking prices & subsequently obtain games that were previously unobtainable. Who knows.

Last edited:

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
EDIT: After reading up on this, I'd be worried about the "reverse con" as a possibility here as well. Create the illusion that the market value is about to collapse in order to lower current asking prices & subsequently obtain games that were previously unobtainable. Who knows.

I was thinking along the same lines.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Still don't understand the sealed garbage game mentality.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I do not think the price will lower. What would happen if tomorrow somebody found 18 NOS copies of AES MS1 and decided to sell them? most likely he would ask for them the current ridiculous price or more, so everything would be the same...I think I am missing something here...

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I would be weirded out if I was asked to sign a NDA for buying a video game.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Well, the video game grading services are about to make some more bank.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The De Beers of NES games. I wish this would happen with Neo-Geo carts, too. Unfortunately, they were already on release too niche & costly. Still, this is sure one of the funniest things to happen within the present "retro" scene.

Lols ad lib ;).

Too much emotions........... and it obvious your vocabulary is limited.

Edit: BTW, this could end like the Damien Hirst debacle. After realizing the obvious, i.e. that his work is crap, an atitrust of gallery-owners had to buy all of his latest pieces to extremely high prices just to hold the price status quo of those ones, which were already in their possession. Damien liked it, so NES collectors... unite!

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Interesting video, obviously I have heard about Stadium events but all the other games they were mentioning have no clue about but is funny. Dont think I would be able to sign a NDA though and have to keep my mouth shut forever

EDIT: Out of interest say such a person didnt honour the agreement, what would happen then ?

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I do not think the price will lower. What would happen if tomorrow somebody found 18 NOS copies of AES MS1 and decided to sell them? most likely he would ask for them the current ridiculous price or more, so everything would be the same...I think I am missing something here...

Yeah, I agree a few more sealed copies of these isn't going to make a huge difference in the current market. Sealed collecting is pretty niche so if anything it may hurt to market on that stuff but I'm not sure if it will trickle down to loose prices. I just think it is great because it is a slap in the face to all these resellers and elitist collectors who have no real passion for the hobby.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Pat the NES Punk was talking about this a couple weeks ago. Apparently, it stemmed from a horrible ebay seller, Rarebucky, who has been selling sealed games for years. Atwood decided to liquidate a bunch of stuff to "give back to the community."

I have several issues with this:

1. NDA. I get that the guy is selling stuff below market value but, what does that even mean? I mean, what's a "good deal" below market value on a game, when sealed, goes for over $30k? $25k? $20k? Who knows. All I know is, whenever someone has a sale here, it is general practice to have the prices listed so there's a reference point for future sales. With NDA...not happening.

2. "Giving back." First of all, not buying it...not one bit. If he wanted to give back to the community, he'd have sold the games years ago when prices were more sane. He waited until now because of how high prices have got. If you take everything he has, give it an average of $1k per item, he stands to make over $2 million. Bear in mind here, some items are much more than $1k each and some are low 3-figure items. This was an investment to make money, pure and simple.

3. Sealed games. Despite any sort of NDA, we know exactly what's going to happen: everything sold will, more than likely, be sent to VGA to be graded and sold by those same people he "gave back" to at a later date...they're just willing to wait longer than he is. They other problem is, you know these games will never be played...ever. I'm not sure who wins here. If he really wanted to piss off Rarebucky, he'd have made an hour long video of him breaking the seal on every game. That dude would have a heart attack.

Jon

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Well, there will be a trickle down affect for sure. Collectors who currently have C.I.B. and want sealed will upgrade. Then those items trickle down to those who currently have loose carts but want C.I.B. and then those carts trickle down to those who collect loose carts. Prices will drop slightly during the purge, but then will most likely level off and then remain steady again as they are now.

At the end of the day, most of us all have to assume that wether it's this or some future event or just the general passing of time, something will eventually affect this collectors hobby just as postage stamps, comic books, & baseball cards were. This can't last forever either way, right?

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Our very own rarebucky is part of the guys getting heated of this news over at nintendo age.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Our very own rarebucky is part of the guys getting heated of this news over at nintendo age.

He hasn't posted here in years, though. Read through his last few posts...hilarious.

Jon

PS: He was trying to sell sealed games here for ebay prices. :keke:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Well, there will be a trickle down affect for sure. Collectors who currently have C.I.B. and want sealed will upgrade. Then those items trickle down to those who currently have loose carts but want C.I.B. and then those carts trickle down to those who collect loose carts. Prices will drop slightly during the purge, but then will most likely level off and then remain steady again as they are now.

At the end of the day, most of us all have to assume that wether it's this or some future event or just the general passing of time, something will eventually affect this collectors hobby just as postage stamps, comic books, & baseball cards were. This can't last forever either way, right?

I don't know how these people were selected but, I'm assuming the people he sold to didn't have even a loose cart to begin with. If that's the case, your scenario wouldn't work.

Jon

sparksterz

Camel Slug
idk...I never understood the obsession with Stadium Events. Yes, it was a flub that wasn't supposed to exist in the wild, but it's not even fundamentally different. While the game was unique for the system for using the power pad, it wasn't that interesting of a piece to demand the price it's gone for. I think those complaining about devaluing need to check their priorities in life...