161-in-1 Game Breakdown

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Is the thickness of the boards an issue too? Or is it just the width as you are measuring here the problem? Can this ruin MVS systems for prolonged use? I need to get one of those measuring calipers. gonna hit up Harbour Freight.

I measured the thickness of the multicart PCB and compared it to a legit SNK MVS cart and the difference was never more than .005 of an inch, so personally I wouldnt worry, but thats just my opinion.

This is where I would worry, check out these pics.

View attachment 9549

View attachment 9550

The picture on the bottom, the one that reads 6.1075 inches is AFTER I filed it down, it was extremely difficult to insert and remove my 161-1 multi cart before this, I had to use a couple of t-shirts to hold down the 2-slot PCB because it was flexing so much, its fine now.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Is the thickness of the boards an issue too? Or is it just the width as you are measuring here the problem? Can this ruin MVS systems for prolonged use? I need to get one of those measuring calipers. gonna hit up Harbour Freight.

Thickness is fine, its the width thats the issue. Now real need to get the measuring calipers, just do some filing try the cart and file some more if the fit is still too tight.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
ahh ok - seems like it will be hard to try and perfectly file two boards. Did you keep that little bottom piece on there to keep them steady?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
ahh ok - seems like it will be hard to try and perfectly file two boards. Did you keep that little bottom piece on there to keep them steady?

They dont have to be perfect, if you look at the first and last pin on the boards you can see with the naked eye if one board is longer (there will me more material on that side), just file it down until your multicart is easy to insert and remove.

Heres a video of my 161-1 after I filed it down, I just uploaded it so it might not be available right away.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
^ who really just has Atomiswave carts laying around on the ground?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

The way I did it is I unscrewed the cart, took the two boards out and basically done them one at a time. Its reasonably easy to get them both the same width by alligning them together every so often to see if they are the same size.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I picked this up with my first ever Neo (an Omega), thinking it would be a good alternative to having to hunt for high-priced legit carts.

Noob mistake, to be sure.

Aside from the fact it doesn't fit right in my Omega, (not just the cartridge slot on the shell, but the slot on the mobo too), for some reason, I can't get back in to the menu by holding down start for 5 seconds like you should be able to.

Aside from all that tho, it just doesn't feel right somehow. Maybe it's the knowledge that it's just a pirate cart, likely from inferior parts, or that it has a reputation for glitching.

At this point I don't even like putting in my Omega. I pretty much just use it as a tool to check out which games I really like and want to look for a legit MVS cart for.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Aside from the fact it doesn't fit right in my Omega, (not just the cartridge slot on the shell, but the slot on the mobo too), for some reason, I can't get back in to the menu by holding down start for 5 seconds like you should be able to.

Start + Select buddy ;)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think what red impact meant was that you can hit Star + Select on the OMEGA to enter the UniBios menu and do a soft-reboot. No need to leave the sofa.

I pretty much just use it as a tool to check out which games I really like and want to look for a legit MVS cart for.
And that's pretty much the only thing it's good for.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I think what red impact meant was that you can hit Star + Select on the OMEGA to enter the UniBios menu and do a soft-reboot. No need to leave the sofa.

And that's pretty much the only thing it's good for.

Yeah I have a unibios also, doing a soft reboot will only get you back to the game you had previously selected.

you have to power off and on again to get back to the game select menu.

xsq

oh, alright then, guess Mr. Mort will get some workout or play the same game FOREVER.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
oh, alright then, guess Mr. Mort will get some workout or play the same game FOREVER.

well, since the omegas are 1 slots you would have to turn them off and on to change games if you were playing legit carts anyways.

that probably didn't make him feel any better LOL

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Yeah I have a unibios also, doing a soft reboot will only get you back to the game you had previously selected.

QFT. Not a big deal, like someone said, I'd have to get up off my ass to switch legit carts on my Omega anyways, it's just one more reason I don't really care for the 161-in-1 too much.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
QFT. Not a big deal, like someone said, I'd have to get up off my ass to switch legit carts on my Omega anyways, it's just one more reason I don't really care for the 161-in-1 too much.

Methinks the Morty doth protest too much.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I know I used to be able to soft reset my 161 in 1 using the command, but with Unibios it doesn't work anymore. Is that is what is causing the built in reset to no longer work?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

As for the fitting problems, the solution has been posted in this thread so no real need to moan about that any more.
Not sure why holding 1P Start for 5 seconds doesn't get you back to the game select screen - that the way its suppose to work and from my recollection I don't remeber people posting any problems in that regard. I can confirm that resetting with the Unibios will just reset the game that has currently been loaded in memory.

xsq

I know I used to be able to soft reset my 161 in 1 using the command, but with Unibios it doesn't work anymore. Is that is what is causing the built in reset to no longer work?
Hm, it works with my 1slots+Unibios. I only run them in MVS mode though.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I had heard before that the 161's soft reset didn't work right when unibios was set to AES mode, but I just tested it and found that on my MV1C with unibios 3.1, holding start will take me back to the menu in both MVS and AES modes.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I had heard before that the 161's soft reset didn't work right when unibios was set to AES mode, but I just tested it and found that on my MV1C with unibios 3.1, holding start will take me back to the menu in both MVS and AES modes.

Was with or without a memory card inserted?

Yes, that's how my omega does it .

Suspect that is related with the hard dip switches set to free play mode.
If it was all set to "off" like in coin box arcade
the return to menu would work?

On my Omega the crap 161 in 1 cart built quality has actually split one of cart slots, .......easy too insert now.
Cart also causes wrapping to the casing making the dust cover slots sticky. Real carts are smooth fit, and never hard contacted the cover edges.

tcfkae

n00b
Metal Slug 6 on my 161-1 is bugged (e.g. dodgy splash screen (copyright warning bleeds over title); incorrect naming at start of each stage (e.g. stage 1 says 4); beat the bosses with a couple of hits (even though set difficulty to 4 in Unibios.)

Is there an actual Metal Slug 6 MVS cartridge? Dont think I've ever seen one for sale.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 6 on my 161-1 is bugged (e.g. dodgy splash screen (copyright warning bleeds over title); incorrect naming at start of each stage (e.g. stage 1 says 4); beat the bosses with a couple of hits (even though set difficulty to 4 in Unibios.)

Is there an actual Metal Slug 6 MVS cartridge? Dont think I've ever seen one for sale.

It's just a bootleg version of slug 3. The real metal slug 6 is only for atomiswave.

Also I have no issues going back to the select screen on my two slot with unibios. Works in both aes and MVS modes. No memory card loaded though and I don't have one to test with.