161 Boot Embracing

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Yes - not really news as many people already knew connecting 3.3v logic to 5v logic is not a good idea for the reasons they did outline in their article. What they did do though is review a lot of the everdrives - I was surprised that some of the everdrives do the same thing but use resistors on bus lines too. The MVS multicarts could die due to the clamping problem, or kill your MVS at some point, but tbh I don't buy into the level of risk that has been suggested in that article. It's very likely a real risk but its hard to quantify how it may or may not kill a system earlier than if it was only used with original carts. The bigger problem with those multicarts in my mind is the quality of many of the games are crap, and the build quality is crap. The Neo SD is the way forward. The one positive I would say is these cheap multicarts are a good way to get into the scene - to work out which games you want to buy etc. I've bought tonnes of games that I already had on the 161 in 1, either to fix a sound or graphical issue, or just because that's a game I want an original for.
Many of the games are bad dumps too aren't they? I recall Garou being such an early beta that the background in Terry's stage doesn't even sync with the music.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, this morbid guy is obviously after some attention whoring and already had to edit his article. Most people use 110V converters on their 100V japanese consoles, feeding them additional 10Vs for years now. So what? Technically speaking, emulation will never be the same as the "original". So what again?

The extra voltage is filtered at the AC to DC step. The extra voltage doesn't make it to the components in the console.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I *think* the point people make about using stuff like 100V consoles on 110V mains, is that that extra 10V puts an extra strain on the AC to DC converter which may do some damage in the (very) long run.

This may be true but I yet have to see someone who ended up with a fried console for something like that.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Why original? To collect and preserve.

Why bootleg multicart? Convienence and price.

I have my mvs running all neo geo games via mame. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Still have my neo board and games, and won't get rid of it.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Lulz video game preservation.

True dat.

As long as the data is on the net and there are decent pics, they're preserved.

Own a game you'll play and forget preservation.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
LMAO

Holy shit.

What the fuck are you preserving? You make video games sound like something you can (like vegetables) to use in the winter.

I have plenty of games down cellar to get my family through those long winters.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I have my mvs running all neo geo games via mame. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

What do you mean you have your MVS running games via MAME? Do you mean you have a Neo Geo cabinet with a MAME setup inside? To each their own, but that's pretty much the worst thing there is. If there's anything I really dislike when it comes to arcades, is people stuffing PCs and Retro Pies inside of their cabinets, and making YouTube videos showing how they can play Super Mario Bros on their sit-down Naomi. There's literally no point in having a cabinet if you want to emulate everything. Multis I can and do understand. It's original code running on original guts. But I can't stomach the Hyperspin setups with lit-up buttons, running SNES games.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed feels like butchery doing that to a legit system. Might as well just get a shitty multicade off craigslist if you want an 'arcade' that does everything and leave the limited supply of old stuff to those who care to use it.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
What do you mean you have your MVS running games via MAME? Do you mean you have a Neo Geo cabinet with a MAME setup inside? To each their own, but that's pretty much the worst thing there is. If there's anything I really dislike when it comes to arcades, is people stuffing PCs and Retro Pies inside of their cabinets, and making YouTube videos showing how they can play Super Mario Bros on their sit-down Naomi. There's literally no point in having a cabinet if you want to emulate everything. Multis I can and do understand. It's original code running on original guts. But I can't stomach the Hyperspin setups with lit-up buttons, running SNES games.

I do have a Neo Geo cabinet with a MAME setup inside. But slow your role there puppy. It doesn’t emulate everything. It is emulating only the neo geo collection (147 games, no boots). I am not running HyperShit, nor do not have lit up buttons. I actually designed a front end layout specifically for the MVS. Here’s a video for you.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Agreed feels like butchery doing that to a legit system. Might as well just get a shitty multicade off craigslist if you want an 'arcade' that does everything and leave the limited supply of old stuff to those who care to use it.

I still have the original hardware and everything is completely and easily reversible. Nothing is butchered. And no, I don’t want a shitty multicade.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I do have a Neo Geo cabinet with a MAME setup inside. But slow your role there puppy. It doesn’t emulate everything. It is emulating only the neo geo collection (147 games, no boots).
Oh he's not emulating boots. That's legit.

PS. Learn how to use multiquote, ya dumb fagit.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I still have the original hardware and everything is completely and easily reversible. Nothing is butchered. And no, I don’t want a shitty multicade.

I know that, but you know what you basically do have a multicade, a NeoGeo multicade as it's faux hardware running a lot of ROMs, even if they aren't boots. So while it could be restored, it's still butchered. Same could be applied to someone who buys a custom car some random dude made where you have a muscle car body and frame, and then a 4 cylinder pos engine inside the body. May look like the real deal, still running crap under the hood even if the engine could get popped back in.

Better off using an unibios+neosd if all you want is a neogeo with it all.

Last edited:

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
I know that, but you know what you basically do have a multicade, a NeoGeo multicade as it's faux hardware running a lot of ROMs, even if they aren't boots. So while it could be restored, it's still butchered. Same could be applied to someone who buys a custom car some random dude made where you have a muscle car body and frame, and then a 4 cylinder pos engine inside the body. May look like the real deal, still running crap under the hood even if the engine could get popped back in.

Better off using an unibios+neosd if all you want is a neogeo with it all.

I don't see how it's any different than neosd or 161 multicart. Everything I did can be reversed in like ten minutes. Lol

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I don't see how it's any different than neosd or 161 multicart. Everything I did can be reversed in like ten minutes. Lol

Don't worry about tanooki - he talks out of his ass so much its just literal verbal diarrhea.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,

Like I said, putting a MAME PC or a Raspberry inside an actual arcade machine is the worst thing, if you ask me. It's your business how you play your games. However, anyone in their right mind must admit there's a difference between emulating games via MAME and playing them on the real hardware. Original cartridges aside, at least people driving the flash device business forward must agree with this statement.

You can't say MAME isn't any different than NeoSD or Chinese multicarts and mean it. Multicarts alone, even though they run on the real hardware, have some issues with certain games. Even the NeoSD has issues of its own, but unlike multicarts, these issues can, and hopefully will be fixed.

I get it, though. Emulation is cheap. Switching to NeoSD is an investment you're not willing to make. Multicarts are cheap, but don't offer all of the games. While I can appreciate the look of that game select menu, which mimics the multi-slot cards, it's definitely not something I would go with because of the reasons mentioned above.

You're a lucky owner of an original cabinet. I feel that running emulators is a waste, especially now, when real hardware multigame solutions are easily accessible. How you feel about it is another matter and we don't need to prove anything to each other.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Kind of like how bone cancer spreads everywhere what started at taking advantage of Nintendo collectardism started to spread like wildfire. When the NES started to nauseate people then went to SNES, then it did, from there it kind of jumped the host like some Resident Evil like t-cell virus and fucked over other stuff and not just the host -- TG16/PCE, Sega system by system and so on and once most consoles got retarded and people still more so dismissing handhelds are non-game bite sized bs went to the next best thing to fuck up, arcade and pinball stuff. Anything gaming based with enough age and memories around it, shit hit the fan. I recall years back people shunning Nintendo kits too and also repros(fake name for warez there) and then greatly growing more gone fine with their warez and kits. Shit spreads like a disease so it's not surprise people here over time got more chill with it other than the hardcore.

Out of all the Collectards , it's the Nintendo Collectards that are the worst, especially Zelda collectards. Auctioned off a Brand New Sealed Zelda Skyward Sword on the Bay and one collectard had the nerve to ask me this, this is a direct copy and paste.

Hi, I have some questions.

1. Are you the original owner (first purchaser) of this Zelda game? Do you recall which store you purchased it from?

2. Are there any visible signs of shelf wear or blemishes like tears on the cellophane plastic wrap, scratches, or surface indentations/creases on the gold foil cover art on the Wii game case? Please check by holding the game case at an angle under some light to see the reflections on the front and back side.

3. Is this item from a pet (dog/cat/bird) free home/place?

4. Is this item from a smoke free home/place?

Thanks,

This is a common readily available game on Amazon. Not even Chu is this picky.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Out of all the Collectards , it's the Nintendo Collectards that are the worst, especially Zelda collectards. Auctioned off a Brand New Sealed Zelda Skyward Sword on the Bay and one collectard had the nerve to ask me this, this is a direct copy and paste.

1. Are you the original owner (first purchaser) of this Zelda game? Do you recall which store you purchased it from?

2. Are there any visible signs of shelf wear or blemishes like tears on the cellophane plastic wrap, scratches, or surface indentations/creases on the gold foil cover art on the Wii game case? Please check by holding the game case at an angle under some light to see the reflections on the front and back side.

Thanks,

That individual needs a firm fuck you response.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Thanks,

I would've told them that I own a lizard, but the lizard was never allowed in the same room as the game. What a massive homosexual virgin that guy is.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,

LOL! How is this even relevant? It's not a used car. It's a brand new SEALED game! Next thing you know they'll ask for a receipt, graded and sealed in acrylic by the Receipt Authority.

I can see how someone with severe allergies can ask about pets, or a non-smoker can ask if you were blazing that MJ 24/7 near the item in question, but what does it matter where you bought it?

P.S. - My first X360 RRoD'ed. Back then I didn't know M$ was sending random refurbs they had on hand as replacements, instead of actually fixing and sending back original consoles. My console was otherwise flawless, and I don't smoke. I got a scratched up piece of garbage that must have doubled as an ashtray. I seriously could not have it out once it heated up. It was stinking up the place. I have somehow managed to return it in exchange for one in a better condition. Still not anywhere near the condition mine was in.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea Man, video game collecting has really took a turn for the worst.

I would buy games with the intentions of playing them but when I realized after all these years that it's never going to happen I decided to sell. Plus it's much more convenient to play a game off a hd or Everdrive if I ever do get a chance ;).

These collectors will also play their games off a hd and Everdrive and never touch the physical copies. They will probably take it one step further and get their games graded and put in one of those snazzy acrylic cases.

They all bitch and complain about digital only and why no physical release. Physical release for what? Your never going to open and play that shit. That shit is just going to sit on the shelf forever and your going to continue on playing the digital version.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I would buy games with the intentions of playing them but when I realized after all these years that it's never going to happen I decided to sell.

I've been thinking about selling off some of my stuff for years. I usually manage to gather sizable collections of good titles for each console, some of them I finish, some of them I don't. The only games I regularly go back to are the arcade titles, simply because they are such great bite-sized experiences and don't require that time investment. I rarely feel compelled to play anything which can't be beat during one weekend. There are some exceptions, like the Yakuza titles. I did spend quite a lot of time with Kiwami, and I played the shit out of Ishin, with about 80 hours on the clock, but that's about it in the recent months. Aside from those ever present arcade gaming sessions before I go to bed.

I own a couple of flash devices, not because I don't want to touch my games, but because I can't be bothered digging through the mountains of boxes whenever I feel like playing game X, Y or Z.

As for Neo, my collection is almost exclusively MVS, and the majority of the cartridges came from eastern-European arcades, which went out of business in the '90s. They look like they went through hell, but they still work. Stuff those inside some acrylic cases.