14WKC World Kendo Championships

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I had the honor of working on this event, where Brazil got us the third place.

Any other kenshi here?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Is there a website with pictures/results?

I used to practice with my university team and now I'm helping coach at a junior high school I work at. Kendo is a fun sport/martial art.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Awesome. That must have been amazing in Brazil.

Didn't the USA men's team take second with the Japanese team taking third a few years ago? That was amazing to watch and really upset some of the people I work with. I'm looking at the forums with people debating the fairness of 'rough kendo'. It's funny when people want Kendo to be a nice sport and not stick fighting.

Looks like some anti-doping stuff happened too. Imagine Kendo players doing performance enhancing drugs! I guess it's a possibility at that level.

What team were you cheering for? Did you know anyone that competed? I used to know a woman on the USA women's team. She competed back in 2001 or so.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Awesome. That must have been amazing in Brazil.

Didn't the USA men's team take second with the Japanese team taking third a few years ago? That was amazing to watch and really upset some of the people I work with. I'm looking at the forums with people debating the fairness of 'rough kendo'. It's funny when people want Kendo to be a nice sport and not stick fighting.

Looks like some anti-doping stuff happened too. Imagine Kendo players doing performance enhancing drugs! I guess it's a possibility at that level.

What team were you cheering for? Did you know anyone that competed? I used to know a woman on the USA women's team. She competed back in 2001 or so.

Well, personally, I didn't liked the kendo showed by USA and Korea. Just too competitive and agressive. When you see the matches, it becomes clear: they attack a lot, but just 2 or 3 attacks of the japanese are enough to decide the match.

One problem that was somewhat common was people with shinais outside the weight parameters, but everybody ws able to get replacements in time, so it didn't prejudiced anybody.

I was cheering for Brazil, of course, since I'm brazilian ;)

But I was cheering for Italy, NZ and Canada, also.

I didn't know anybody from the brazilian team, but I was able to know the sensei from the italiam team, and a girl from the NZ team, that later I discovered she is the national champion there :eek: