10 Awesomely Awful Video Game Ads

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just read this over at Retrojunk and thought I'd share. I remember several of the ads, like the Power Glove, colored Gameboy Pocket tongues, Fabio on Iron Sword, and the infamous hot wife/gf who can't get her husband/bf to stop playing NeoGeo Cyberlip, but several of them were completely new to me, like the British Gameboy Pocket ad with the woman strapped to the bed and the Turbo Duo comic book attacks on Sega CD.

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/5125/10-awesomely-awful-video-game-ads

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
This fucking thing should have never been created.
32x.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This dog should've never been born.

tumblr_nhm7dlO1z81snhn1io1_500.jpg

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I have that neo add hanging on my wall. My buddy has that gameboy one with the girl tied up. Good ol' days of subliminal advertising.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This fucking thing should have never been created.
View attachment 38383

It made sense on paper. It was just overpriced and under-engineered.
Take your existing user base of millions of genesis owners, and offer a major hardware update.

They forgot the terrible Earthbound ads. "This game stinks..." Good job on that one....

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I just read this over at Retrojunk and thought I'd share. I remember several of the ads, like the Power Glove, colored Gameboy Pocket tongues, Fabio on Iron Sword, and the infamous hot wife/gf who can't get her husband/bf to stop playing NeoGeo Cyberlip, but several of them were completely new to me, like the British Gameboy Pocket ad with the woman strapped to the bed and the Turbo Duo comic book attacks on Sega CD.

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/5125/10-awesomely-awful-video-game-ads
I thought it was more shocking.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Just wow... If that kinda shit was printed today so many SJWs would be all over this... lol

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I knew most of these ads from reading mags back in the day. Well, some were quite awful back then as well but I didn't care. Different times, different tastes, different ideas of tongue-in-cheek, you know.

At least we had ads with girls tied to a bed back in the day when PC was just a computer, not a silly language regime. Imagine doing that sort of thing today... all vegan-PC-think-of-the-children hell would break loose.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Does anybody else remember the woman that wrote into EGM, complaining about the number of scantily clad women in their ads and the games that they covered, and that she re-named the magazine Evil Gross Magazine? That was hilarious. It might have been someone else, but I'm pretty sure she said she went through her son's EGM and colored clothes onto the women with a sharpie marker too! Poor kid.

I also remember that there was some stink over this PSX Deathtrap Dungeon ad:

deathtrap.jpg