MISTer FPGA?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
TR Fight Stick has revealed that its next project relates to the popular MiSTer FPGA retro gaming platform.

octopus-arcade-stick-maker-is-tackling-mister-fpga-next-with-the-tr-quantum-1.900x.jpg

Indiegogo campaign

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Isn’t it simulation? Like the matrix we are all in.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah sorry thats ugly as shit.

I like their Dreamcast one, but I dont $200 like it.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Interesting:

Matt said:
The FPGA alone is super expensive when not subsidized, so how are they selling for only $99?
Taki Udon said:
This seems to be the running narrative. Altera gave a very attractive price for this chip. Orders of magnitude lower than what people think it is worth based on part suppliers selling in small batches.

Taki Udon said:
I agree. Their price still being so high is why this clone now exists. Needing to spend almost $300 to get into FPGA gaming is a hard pill to swallow and probably limited the growth of the community in recent years.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To be fair, a DE10 wasn't much more than $100 before the videogame nerds started buying them en masse. I'd buy that he can get the Cyclone V chips at a more reasonable rate somehow, that's what's in some of the Analogue systems that sell for $200 total.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Mine was similarly priced at like $125 or something the first time. Second time I bought one to put into my cab it was something like 150 or 170 that was purchased from a dude on A-P.

But yeah. retroheads kinda screwed the pooch on cost.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The price has gone too far up, and no one can explain why you need one anymore, since the promise of accuracy seems to have gone out the window. Not to mention new 'successor' devices on the horizon. For a casual user like me who only powers it up now and then, it's all just too much goobing to keep up with.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It's literally running an update script when you want to

Far less goobing around than real hardware

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, the last time I ran update scripts on my NES and Saturn, that was rough. :rolleyes:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, update all is easy. I use mine infrequently enough I usually end up running it any time I plan to use it. Unless I'm playing something new updating isn't necessary anyway.

It's fine. The price has just gone up too much. I have a Mistercade I've barely touched too, and I could probably use a separate DE-10 Nano for it. It's a lot of effort to move the one configured for the TV to the Mistercade.