ngtrailcl8.jpg

Than this happens...

ngtrail2lq6.jpg

Damnation!

ngtrail3vg4.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Ah Oregon Trail. The game where nobody ever makes it!

Why not just change the name of the game to "let's go fucking die somewhere"?

aria

Former Moderator
I just played the game for the first time, got to Oregon without much trouble and scored a low score of 26XX.

Was this game supposed to be hard? All I did was select a Boston Banker, leave in April, bought some supplies (and kept buying food) and everything worked out. Fun, but I failed to see the difficulty.

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
I just played the game for the first time, got to Oregon without much trouble and scored a low score of 26XX.

Was this game supposed to be hard? All I did was select a Boston Banker, leave in April, bought some supplies (and kept buying food) and everything worked out. Fun, but I failed to see the difficulty.

I chose the Illinois farmer and left in April too.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We had an Apple IIe in home room when I was in sixth grade and me or someone else would finish it every morning. It's easy enough as a banker. If you choose the others you need to spend less on food and stop to hunt more.

Yep, I was one of the cool kids.

Scuz39

User title.,

You get a lot less money if you chose either of the non banker professions. Farmer is the hardest (It triples your score at the end, I scored a bit over 4k)

aria

Former Moderator
You get a lot less money if you chose either of the non banker professions. Farmer is the hardest (It triples your score at the end, I scored a bit over 4k)

Replayed the game with the farmer, still didn't have a terrible game, scored 5XXX --the problem was I tried riding the Snake River and didn't figure out the controls until I hit the side of the river and lost a passenger. Otherwise it would've been much higher. Again: left in April, all I did was spend much more time hunting buffalo and bears. No real problems.

aria

Former Moderator
Speaking of games like this, has anyone played M.U.L.E.? I wanted to get it for my C64 back in the day, but never got around to it.

You remember those days? When EA games came in packages that were like vinyl LPs? I loved EA games from that era.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Speaking of games like this, has anyone played M.U.L.E.? I wanted to get it for my C64 back in the day, but never got around to it.
Have it for the NES with the Four Score. Pretty fun for 4 players to just dork around.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Bumping this ancient thread because I just watched this documentary about the game's creation by the Gaming Historian.

Also, while we're on the subject, I bought a bunch of these Oregon Trail handheld games as Christmas gifts for friends and family a few years back. Not sure if they're still making it, but if so, I highly recommend it to fans of the game.
handheld-oregon-trail-game-3.jpg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Oregon Chemtrails

You died of cancer

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
As far as edutainment went, mecc did a pretty good job. Island of Dr quandary, that's another good one.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I installed Doom on my school computer in the 5th grade. Got caught playing. Had to install it on every computer as punishment.
Even our teacher realized it's much better than the edutainment games. :D

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I installed Doom on my school computer in the 5th grade. Got caught playing. Had to install it on every computer as punishment.
Even our teacher realized it's much better than the edutainment games. :D
How is that a punishment?