OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Those Old Scientists was pure joy from beginning to end. One of the episodes of Trek ever, and easily the best comedic episode ever made.

The tonal whiplash of episode 8 was not expected, but it was one hell of an episode too.

And yeah, the musical was lame. My wife loved it though. It's one of those where if you don't love musicals (I don't), you're not going to like it.

Does the continued inclusion of Kirk mean we’re eventually getting a TOS reboot?
Makes you wonder, but we're years away from it if it does happen.

As cool as Paul Stanley is in the role, he's too damn old to be playing young Kirk and he's going to be post TOS age by the time it happens.

There's also been the Very Short Treks, two of which are out now on Youtube. I think they're hilarious, but they've gotten a good number of Trek fans' pissed off because they're so deliberately offensive. Gene Roddenberry would most definitely not approve.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I figure now with the introduction of Scotty they must be working towards a TOS reboot, but maybe not. As you said it’d be years off. I can see SNW doing 5-7 seasons.

Otherwise I wish they’d stop putting in TOS characters for no reason. Are we going to meet McCoy next? Sulu? We have Spock already and the rest of the cast is strong enough that we don’t need to have legacy characters shoehorned in.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If we get Sulu and McCoy, I'd be fine with that. Get rid of "Ortegas***" and La'Ann. Worthless characters.

***Ortegas is a fucking stupid surname. The actual name is just Ortega. Singular. That's like calling someone Smiths, or Joneses.

She's also a shit character. La'Ann is just... trash.

Uhura tho... day-yam. She cute aye eff.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I disagree, I like Ortegas and La'an, especially La'an. They've done a great job developing her character in season 2 and IMO she's one of the best parts of the show now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ortegas has yet to get great character development. The Rigel VII episode was okay for that but it was more general “my job is important and I have worth” than anything too deep.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Poor M’Benga. “I am the Butcher of J’gal” - that shit was haunting. Really feel like he is the most underrated character. His performance, particularly in that episode, has been stellar.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Under the Cloak of War (Episode 8) I think was the best episode this season, not counting Those Old Scientists.

Been thinking about that episode for a few days now. Definite Deep Space Nine vibes but also imo a better exploration of the issues of the horrors of war (at least as far as I recall.)

With a possible Gorn conflict I hope we get to see more of M’Benga on those type of issues.

Season 3 needs to not have a time travel episode and also not have a “Spock is transformed” episode.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Offhand anyone know if a company is producing reproductions of the SNW crew shirts? Would love to get a blue one and dress up as science officer for Halloween :emb:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Poor M’Benga. “I am the Butcher of J’gal” - that shit was haunting. Really feel like he is the most underrated character. His performance, particularly in that episode, has been stellar.
That was a great episode overall

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just read Strange New Worlds season 3 isn’t coming until 2025.

I’m fucking gutted.

Oh well I guess we get more Lower Decks this year?

I’m a dumbass and will be watching Diacovery’s final season.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I just read Strange New Worlds season 3 isn’t coming until 2025.

I’m fucking gutted.

Oh well I guess we get more Lower Decks this year?

I’m a dumbass and will be watching Diacovery’s final season.
Ugh. I gave up on Discovery, in the what - 3rd season? The one where the glowy-headed dude's planet blew up.

I just couldn't anymore. The only good thing Discovery did was give us SNW and Saru.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Ugh. I gave up on Discovery, in the what - 3rd season? The one where the glowy-headed dude's planet blew up.

I just couldn't anymore. The only good thing Discovery did was give us SNW and Saru.
Picard and The Orville are the only really good "Star Trek" TV shows in recent years, IMO. Although, SNW is better than Discovery.
The first Star Trek reboot movie was good, but it was also quite a departure from how Star Trek used to be made.
The animated movie reunion of Babylon 5 (The Road Home) was alright, but didn't match the original TV series.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Picard and The Orville are the only really good "Star Trek" TV shows in recent years, IMO. Although, SNW is better than Discovery.
The animated movie reunion of Babylon 5 (The Road Home) was alright, but didn't match the original TV series.

Havent seen B5's animated movie yet. Honestly didnt even know it was out. But I agree. Too bad Orville only has two seasons.

Yeah you read that right. Two.

Picard was ok and decent for the first 2 seasons. But season 3 was actually pretty great. Also, Lower Decks is probably the best one after SNW.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

You watched Halo for me, I’ll watch Disocvery for you.

It’s only fair.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Paramount + is probably dead before the 3rd SNW season. I watched the 4th season of Discovery. My life is full of regrets.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Paramount + is probably dead before the 3rd SNW season. I watched the 4th season of Discovery. My life is full of regrets.
I clocked out when the fat kid with its preferred pronouns appeared in the third and they all went "yay, that is so great and you're so cool".

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
First Ep of Season 5: Boring.

It’s set up as an action thing but it just doesn’t work for me.

The reveal of what they’re “looking for” feel like dumb pandering, but hey at least they reference earlier trek so I’m OK with that I suppose.

Saru remains the best character and wasted on this show.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
As far as Star Trek goes, I'm just waiting for the followups to Picard (which could be Star Trek Legacy, or a Picard movie w/ Patrick Stewart), and more seasons of The Orville (which is a parody of Star Trek- it was done that way for copyright reasons).

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
As far as Star Trek goes, I'm just waiting for the followups to Picard (which could be Star Trek Legacy, or a Picard movie w/ Patrick Stewart), and more seasons of The Orville (which is a parody of Star Trek- it was done that way for copyright reasons).

Joe, you dumb fucking ape.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Did you see Patrick Stewart in the last series of Picard? They'd be more likely to get a spin off movie out of Jimmy Doohan.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Legacy is pretty much dead.