Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There were fight scenes that looked like they were filmed completely with green screen bit by bit, stitched together and then they dropped the guys into an environment. It's a genuinely baffling movie in every regard.

Wakawaliwood would’ve made a better RH redux.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's real bad. I knew it wasn't going to be good but I figured it would at least be some cheesy fun, but nope.

I was really surprised by how cheap it looked. Like things that didn't need to be CG seemingly were for some reason. You can get away with that shit with a lot of night shots or shadow, not the Florida Keys in the middle of they. I don't know if it was a money saving thing of what but it did not work.

Also I'm pretty sure there were a couple shots where you can see Connor McGreggor's roid induced backne underneath the makeup.
It’s a cheap quality movie made for tv …. No one should have to paid money to see it . I didn’t, I just stream it .

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
It’s a cheap quality movie made for tv …. No one should have to paid money to see it . I didn’t, I just stream it .

It's crazy that $85 million is considered a small budget nowadays. Even still, it seemed like they rushed production and relied on a bad script with mostly D-tier actors.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's crazy that $85 million is considered a small budget nowadays. Even still, it seemed like they rushed production and relied on a bad script with mostly D-tier actors.
85 million is not a small budget at all.

The top 10 US films released so far this year by box office returns, with their budgets
Dune: Part Two - 190 million
Kung Fu Panda 4 - 85 million
Bob Marley: One Love - 70 million
Mean Girls reboot - 36 million
The Beekeeper - 40 million
Argylle - 200 million
Ghostbusters 5 - 100 million
Madame Web - 80 million
Night Swim - 15 million
Imaginary - 12 million

Aside from some insane movie executive spending 200 million on Argylle (which didn't even make 96 million worldwide), the only two movies on that list with a higher budget were the extremely effects-heavy franchise sequels, Dune and Ghostbusters.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The director was pissed that it wasn't given a theatrical release.

Also, TIL that MGM was bought by Amazon. Sad.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Doomsday - ummmmmm, wtf happened to Neil Marshall? Dude made three stone-cold classics (i.e. not the one with Fassbender) and then barely blipped afterwards. Somehow this gets better every time I watch it. Related a bit, Mitra also flashed in the pan. Movie itself is still so damn fun though.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
If Dune 2 was 2.25 times better than Road House, the budget was worth it. I look forward to subsequent box office updates as more blockbusters are released throughout the year.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
2001 A Space Odyssey.

Ive heard many people mention and seen it referenced many times over the years but I never got around to watching it until tonight.

Holy shit, what a boring movie! Very pretty too look at but very slow paced and tedious to sit through. At least I can say I’ve watched it but honestly I don’t see what is so amazing. Maybe it was ground breaking for it‘s time?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Not a movie but this gets a huge recommendation.

RoboDoc- This is a 4 part 5+ hour documentary on the making of RoboCop. It's extremely well done, it's entertaining, funny and hugely insightful. Great interviews with all kinds of people, everyone from the cast to the set dressers. It goes into a massive amount of detail on virtually every aspect of film and it's never boring or repetitive. It's one of those things that really gives you a renewed appreciation for the movie even if you've seen it a million times.

It's on Prime and there are no commercials even if you didn't upgrade your subscription.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dune 2 should be able to reach 700-725M worldwide, compared to 406M for the first film (including the IMAX re-release from this year). Dune Messiah is a sure thing, it's just a matter of whether Villeneuve wants to do it next or if he wants to make one or two other movies before that.

Godzilla x Kong is also looking at probably a 100-200M increase over the previous movie in the series despite being made on a much smaller budget.

So that's probably the best measuring stick for just how much the day one HBO releases impacted the box office for those movies.

Meanwhile, Ghostbusters 5 absolutely cratered in its second week. At this rate it's going to bomb harder than Girlbusters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dune 2 should be able to reach 700-725M worldwide, compared to 406M for the first film (including the IMAX re-release from this year).
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're also assuming a third Dune movie from Villenueve would be Messiah. Which is not necessarily the case, considering the way he ended the second movie. Maybe he'll try to gloss over Messiah in the first 15 minutes -- since, if anything, that novel is even more internal than the first book, and he's shown he has no ability to do that to the point he doesn't even attempt it -- and go straight into Children.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're also assuming a third Dune movie from Villenueve would be Messiah. Which is not necessarily the case, considering the way he ended the second movie. Maybe he'll try to gloss over Messiah in the first 15 minutes -- since, if anything, that novel is even more internal than the first book, and he's shown he has no ability to do that to the point he doesn't even attempt it -- and go straight into Children.
Just because they shouldn't make it doesn't mean they won't.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dune pt 2
It is 5x better than the first, but that's not a tough accomplishment. The combat isn't rated G anymore, which helps the immersion tremendously. I know it was the same people, but it amazed me how much they f'd up part1 compared to part2.

Zendaya is unremarkable despite their best efforts. The relationship is just forced which is odd for a 2.5 hour movie. Walken as the emperor was also a waste. Seemed like he was dementia not demented... The rest of the supporting cast killed it.

My thoughts on Chalamet are conflicted. He played the role well, but he still looks like a 15 year old boy. I'm fairly certain he cant grow facial hair even if he wanted to.

The movie actually goes into the Lore this time around instead of just assuming everyone read the books. Meanwhile, in Dune pt1, what's a Mentat? Fuck you, that's what it is.... They brought back lots of narration to actually get the audience up to speed with the politics and plots.

It had a fairly weak ending and stumbled to close. There's some light setup for another film, but I don't think DV has hinted at returning. If anything, they'll make a Zendaya spin off that no one will care about, which will tank all chances of getting Dune pt3 -Messiah. I'd put money on that.

There's lots to enjoy with this movie ; however, I still prefer David Lynch's Dune. I guess I'm glad Dune is still relevant either way.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Iron Claw

Having been into wrestling a fair bit in my life, I knew this story already, but man is this just a continuous kick in the dick.

The film overall really worked for me even if I went into it a little biased against Efron, whom (who?) I do not really like as an actor. But Zach won me over big time since he definitely took the role seriously (LOTS of roids) and gave an honestly heartfelt performance. Everyone else in it was great, but Zach and the dad stood out the most to me as the best performances.

The core of the film is focused on Kevin's side and having his life constantly be bombarded by just the worst shit and trying to remain sane, which he doesn't always do. It's a very vulnerable series of moments about men at their physical apex that seem invincible, but at the end of the day are still just living creatures that hurt and suffer like every other person. It tackles a lot of issues with toxic masculinity in the form of their dad trying to live vicariously through his children and coming off as a rather heartless and detached figure in the process.

I really don't have any glaring critiques of it outside of the actor who played Ric Flair, since I thought he was way off on getting Ric down. But maybe that isn't even his fault since Ric is a very unique person with his own brand of charisma that is near impossible to replicate.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They went super, super easy on Fritz. He was 10X the shitbag the movie portrayed him to be in real life.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Yeah, The Lapsed Fan podcast did a big thing on him and the family and it is very clear from even an outside perspective that he treated his kids like sub-human whores.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah, The Lapsed Fan podcast did a big thing on him and the family and it is very clear from even an outside perspective that he treated his kids like sub-human whores.
When five out of your six children die before you do because of suicide, drugs, or preventable accidents you've truly failed on the most basic level as a parent.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Fuck those shitty movies like Dune Part 2, this is the real shit right here. I've never bought something so fast. It's 14 potential shitty reviews from me to appear in this thread soon... I'm mostly looking forward to Cameroon Connection and Enter Three Dragons. There's even a movie with Richard Harrison in it which makes me hope for scans of the shitty HK and Filipino movies he was in, that dude deserves a boxset of his own.

By the way, I like how the home video market is so unquestionably abandoned that these releases are viable and not even copyright trolls get wind of it. Even in the trailer for the boxset you hear improperly licensed music from those movies (including the same Isaac Hayes song getting ripped again in "Three Dragons", just like in Dynamo).