Funnyplaying FPGBC - FPGA Gameboy Color

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can confirm it IS in stereo on the FPGBC

Sweet, thanks. Part of me wants to hold off until they release the other form factors, I do have plenty of modded GBCs already, but the other part goes "why the fuck not?"

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Sweet, thanks. Part of me wants to hold off until they release the other form factors, I do have plenty of modded GBCs already, but the other part goes "why the fuck not?"

They are notoriously slow to do ANYTHING, just FYI

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh, I'm well aware. They also have a tendency for their first releases to have some crippling flaw.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Update: Having used this for several hours now, I've noticed a few quirks.

Compatibility is spot on for GBC...the OG GB portion of the core seems to have a few holes, at least with the FW I am using (1.02)

I've ran into a healthy handful of original GB carts that don't work unless I play them on the GBC core. I personally hate the way GBC colorized GB games, so this annoys me.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If it supports changing the palettes like a real GBC you might try the solid black and white palette, it looks nice on the original hardware.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
A handful of the GBC palettes look really excellent, I was also going to suggest that.

I keep getting to the checkout page and losing heart on this. It's hard to justify with like 16 other GBCs lying around... 😭

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Seems to be how it goes, haha. Shruggies and tuggies.

Maybe I'll gather up all my Game Boys and get a picture. I kinda don't want to 😬

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I think my modded GB collection is in the 30s now. It's stupid tbh. I may make a sale post to clear some out.

hahah thank god, you guys are making me feel better

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
If it supports changing the palettes like a real GBC you might try the solid black and white palette, it looks nice on the original hardware.
Yeah, doing this now and very pleased. I withdraw my earlier complaint.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Update. Played quite a few hours on this thing.

The sound output is far superior to a standard GBC. The speaker is great. I've noticed a couple games that don't like the DMG core but work on the GBC one. Weird.

Also, the battery lasts forever.

Sidenote: I buy these acrylic "tea organizers" off Amazon and they are perfect for holding GB carts.

View attachment 71283
I play my GB a lot while chilling at night in my den, watching a hockey game or whatever. But I've always kept the games in an old lunchbox buried in a closet, so I rarely dig through the collection. Saw yr system here, liked it and looked into it. Decided to get something similar, and it's worked out great. It's compact and convenient, fits nicely on the table next to my chair. Thanks for the tip, homie.

Spoiler:

20240202-072826.jpg

20240201-225207.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like it. I got some 3d printed trays from Amazon that look and work fantastic, except that my cats keep knocking them off into the floor when they get the zoomies.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I play my GB a lot while chilling at night in my den, watching a hockey game or whatever. But I've always kept the games in an old lunchbox buried in a closet, so I rarely dig through the collection. Saw yr system here, liked it and looked into it. Decided to get something similar, and it's worked out great. It's compact and convenient, fits nicely on the table next to my chair. Thanks for the tip, homie.

Spoiler:

20240202-072826.jpg

20240201-225207.jpg

Hell yeah! Once I figured out "tea organizers" were perfect - tons of options opened up.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
New FW 1.04 (I think?) fixes some compatibility with the DMG core. The OSD menu though has now switched to some GODAWFUL illegible font though.

The games I had problems with all work fine now. Going through my carts testing, so far everything 100%

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
It arrived! I've been messing around with it for a while now, so I'll share my thoughts about it. First off, you have to buy everything from Funnyplaying individually, they sell all the parts separate, so be prepared to assemble everything. Not a big deal, and no soldering surprisingly, Idk, maybe 15 minutes or so. Some tiny little connectors and such, so a little tricky, but no big deal.

For the silicon pads, I ordered both the "original color" and "black," because the select and start buttons are a slightly lighter shade than the all black ones, and I thought the black pads behind the dpad and A-B buttons would look better than the light blue original color since I used a see-through shell. But as it turned out, the black button pads were of a lesser quality than the original color. The original color pads feel identical to OEM Nintendo buttons when pressing the buttons, but with the black pads, that click wasn't there, they felt mushy. Perhaps this was just a QC thing and my black pad was just a dud, Idk, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Now for the unit itself, every game I've tried, many GB and GBC carts, have all worked flawlessly. And my Everdrive X5 had no issues, and worked just as it does with a standard GB or GBC. The screen looks great, and there are different display modes to set it up to your liking.

A couple of negatives I've discovered are the speed and the sound. For the speed of the system, there is a bar in the settings that you can adjust up and down, but it is impossible to get it dialed in exactly equal to original hardware. You're looking at probably 97% speed or 103% speed between the 2 closest settings. When researching this online, I saw it mentioned here and there, so I'm not alone. I can tell you that the Super Gameboy adapter on the snes does the same thing, speeds up games a tiny bit from the original GB. Idk, most people don't notice this kind of thing, but I'm sensitive to it for some reason.

And that brings me to my second gripe, sound quality. I bring this up because with headphones, the difference between a real GB and GBC vs the FP unit is pretty noticeable. The original hardware just sounds much better. Fuller overall, and better separation in the sound effects, particularly with the games that have stereo effects. And when I was going back in forth with the audio between units, I could really hear the speed difference in the soundtracks.

Now that said, this unit is being updated regularly. The firmware that came stock with mine is 1.06. I haven't done the research to see what they've addressed so far, but they seem to be giving this thing a lot of attention. So hopefully they'll address the speed issue, and get it closer to stock at some point, but like I said, even Nintendo had that problem with their Super Gameboy back in the day. And honestly, gameplay-wise, you won't notice a difference. I've just always had very sensitive ears, which is how I noticed it in the first place. And if you're not using proper headphones, the tinny little speaker included with this thing is probably better than the tinny little speaker included with the original GB and GBC. So yeah. Haha

So, the most important thing at the end of the day is that the games all play perfectly. The screen looks great, and there are different display settings to dial in the look to your liking. And the buttons all feel excellent, just like original hardware (at least when I used the "original color" silicon pads). So for the $85 shipped or whatever the exact cost was, this thing is a bargain.

20240306_224240.jpg

20240306_224207.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Hell yeah dude - I hear you on the headphone quality, but as you said, if you are just using the speaker it's a superior experience to stock IMO. The speed thing I get - but I gotta be honest, switching back and forth with real hardware, I am very hard pressed to notice if at all.

For some reason I didn't have or install the battery springs to hold in place the battery, so I just used some double sided tape. :buttduck:

All in all though, especially for the price...badass little piece of kit.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
FW update out today - adds a couple display modes

@prof

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Just got around to assembling and updating it yesterday... Oh well, at least the update process is painless