Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I think it looks great.

I'm not entirely sold on the new aesthetic SNK is going with on their visuals, but this had a lot of little touches that made it look a bit "comic booky" and I really dug it.

Also looks fast as hell and definitely a bit different than their latest KOF offerings.

The speed and fluidity caught my eye also. It’s in stark contrast to the lumbering of SFV and 6. I don’t know how to quite put it in words, but I know it when I see it…really apparent in the character jump/land animations.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I'll withhold my judgement on the characters, animation, and art style as the game is clearly in an early state. I like the direction they are taking, though, and in a few months I think it will look better. At least I hope - Hotaru looks rough.

The gameplay systems look interesting, but I'm more interested in how they are used - which we'll find out more later. High level play in Garou required the use of mid-combo feints (fake specials) to open up more damage options, but looks like SNK added some new elements to open up the game a bit more and should be more accessible to a wider audience.

As @BlackaneseNiNjA said, I've been playing the same FF games for over 30 years now. Even if I don't stick with it, glad the Wolves are still kickin.

Personal gripe - I would have loved to see a new Real Bout style game instead. 😤

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
Gameplay wise it looks solid.

Would have loved a real 2D Garou...

and why is everybody speakig English?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Basically what I was expecting this to be. They went with a cell-shaded look.

There's a weird sound effect like a bell whenever a certain type of combo hit lands. I hope they drop that sound because I can imagine it getting really annoying.

What happened to the old topic about this game?

Last edited:

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
1)Rick S.
2) Preecha needs a name change + contact lenses
1. My gut feeling is he'll end up as a "Season 1 DLC" offering along with Alfred & possibly Sokaku
2. Preecha is a popular boy's name throughout Thailand.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Gameplay wise it looks solid.

Would have loved a real 2D Garou...

and why is everybody speakig English?
There are two vocal tracks and two versions of the trailer for each language. Like Alec said, probably a Options menu toggle for preference.

I mean, at least it's not Tekken 8 where everyone standing in the same room speaks their native language and everyone else magically understands - including King, who only speaks in growls. 🤷‍♂️

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I think it looks great.

I'm not entirely sold on the new aesthetic SNK is going with on their visuals, but this had a lot of little touches that made it look a bit "comic booky" and I really dug it.

Also looks fast as hell and definitely a bit different than their latest KOF offerings.

I agree, it looks interesting/good enough that I'm here posting about it. Been a long time coming, so I'll hold any complaints until I've played it first. I'm just excited that this is on the schedule.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I agree, it looks interesting/good enough that I'm here posting about it. Been a long time coming, so I'll hold any complaints until I've played it first. I'm just excited that this is on the schedule.
What up, q?! Good to see you, mang. Hope all is well, and we can play this some once it drops.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
At least I'm sure there will be a very easy toggle in the options to turn the English voices off.

Looking at that tweet from Michael Schneider, I don’t think this is the first kof in-game english dub :scratch:. I’m pretty sure I recall KOF: Maximum Impact having an english dub upon initial release on ps2 in the west…

Edit:
Yep, here’s english voiced Terry for better or worse (ending dialog at marker 18:02)

Last edited:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
What up, q?! Good to see you, mang. Hope all is well, and we can play this some once it drops.

Same brother, great to see you too! I'm down, I'll probably be checking in here as info on this drops. I still play MOTW pretty regularly, so I'm pretty excited to see this happening.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Looking at that tweet from Michael Schneider, I don’t think this is the first kof in-game english dub :scratch:. I’m pretty sure I recall KOF: Maximum Impact having an english dub upon initial release on ps2 in the west…

Edit:
Yep, here’s english voiced Terry for better or worse (ending dialog at marker 18:02)
You are correct. Sadly, there wasn't an option for Japanese voices in the first MI release - which prompted a quick return to Gamestop and me ordering the import when it came out. I think they rectified this in the subsequent MI releases, though.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
You are correct. Sadly, there wasn't an option for Japanese voices in the first MI release - which prompted a quick return to Gamestop and me ordering the import when it came out. I think they rectified this in the subsequent MI releases, though.
Yeah I think the later/Maniax KOF:MI release on xbox was the only western release that had the japanese voices. The fatal fury hat and bonus making of dvd inclusion with the original ps2 release was neat at the time tho lol

Since an english dub is being produced for this entry, I would have loved to see Mark Hildreth reprise the role of Terry Bogard, but that’s more nostalgic wish fulfillment on my end. If Cal Dodd can reprise his role as Wolverine in 2024, then anything is possible lol

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I remember Street Fighter IV had options to set the language per character. But what I really want is an option to just set everyone's voice to f-ing normal, and not see a bunch of videos posted from scrubs playing the game with cartoony anime dub voices.

Fenugreek

n00b
In general it seems promising, really interested to see more. The new character looks like shit, but everything else seems pretty if you look past the shaky cam and some of the visual noise that's only here for trailer purposes. Insane it'll be over just 25 years since the last Fatal Fury by the time we get this.