StoneAgeGamer and Terraonion Pre-Orders for NeoSD Pro AES/MVS

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
You would be screwed if you bought it directly from Terraonion.

Yup :-/ ironically on my other NeoSD only the RAM slot works, the flash slots have all kinds of problems. Thankfully I don't actually use the NeoSD that much.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
hmm hopefully this is a small batch that is dealing with this. As I know a current wave of NSDP's will hit ebay soon for resale, the ones that do work might just shoot up in value. I wonder if this is happening to the MVS batch too.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm sending the NeoSD back and they are going to repair it, which they said will take 3 or more weeks. I'm ok with that, it's better than not getting one at all.
Repair it? SAG just has a workshop where they're taking these devices apart and working on them? I suppose they would be the experts in all things flash carts, but they're probably sending it back to TO I guess.

Yup :-/ ironically on my other NeoSD only the RAM slot works, the flash slots have all kinds of problems. Thankfully I don't actually use the NeoSD that much.
I've noticed swapping the microSD does affect what's in the slots, so it might be worth trying another card if you haven't already.

I wonder if this is happening to the MVS batch too.
2fe2fdcd-4303-4b59-8530-a28a67b89dfe_text.gif

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Repair it? SAG just has a workshop where they're taking these devices apart and working on them? I suppose they would be the experts in all things flash carts, but they're probably sending it back to TO I guess.
Yeah I dunno. I was surprised they said "repair". I suspect they will just ship it back to TO.

I've noticed swapping the microSD does affect what's in the slots, so it might be worth trying another card if you haven't already.

I've tried a few different SD cards. In the case of the RAM slot not working on the new one, it feels like only some of the RAM chips are defective. Because Gururin and Puzzle Bobble load in that slot just fine. Metal Slug and Fatal Fury 3 load with garbled CROM graphics, and KOF98 can't load at all.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
After using a different brand, the SD card was recognized and my cart worked after all. Was having a great time playing Magician Lord and everything seemed fine until I tried a larger game.

I'm getting a bunch of garbage when playing some of the larger games like Slug 3. @city41, is this similar to what you were seeing? This happens whether I load from RAM slot or a Flash slot. KoF98 worked fine for me but KoF2002 and 2003 show garbage, along with SvC and Matrimelee, Slug 4 and 5 (the larger games). As you can see, some graphics like text show up fine. I plan to test more games tomorrow but haven't contacted SAG yet.

The first pic is MS1, which loads and plays fine. The 2nd pic is MS3, 3rd pic is MS4 and 4th is KoF2003.

Attachments

• MS1.jpeg
    MS1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • MS3.jpeg
    MS3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • MS4.jpeg
    MS4.jpeg
    977.9 KB · Views: 7
  • KOF2003.jpeg
    KOF2003.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
I'm more interested in the darksoft MVS cart. Where can you put your name down for one ?

Thanks

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I'm more interested in the darksoft MVS cart. Where can you put your name down for one ?

Thanks
Afaik those carts aren't being made anymore and haven't been in a long time. People have been asking but its up in the air in regards to a new batch. Ebay prices for that have been hovering around $2k if you can even find one.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'm getting a bunch of garbage when playing some of the larger games like Slug 3. @city41, is this similar to what you were seeing?
Yup. Those are garbled CROM graphics. That's pretty much exactly what I'm seeing. Although for you it looks like MS1 is working ok? That game is a garbled mess for me.

But not all graphics, so it feels like only some chips are faulty.

mslugNeoSd.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Thanks
Afaik those carts aren't being made anymore and haven't been in a long time. People have been asking but its up in the air in regards to a new batch. Ebay prices for that have been hovering around $2k if you can even find one.
I used to think I might want one, but the NeoSD Pro (when it isn't defective) plays everything I throw at it. Meanwhile the DS cart needs new games added manually in firmware updates. With the NeoSD Pro you also get the sometimes okay NGCD support.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Looking at the prices, both TerraOnion and Darksoft, and considering the technical issues (plus the risk of puttin' all your eggs in one basket), I wonder if a 161in1 + buying single bootlegs from Aliexpress for the best games that are missing in the banana/blue cart might be the better choice at this point. Of course I'm only talkin' about MVS.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I used to think I might want one, but the NeoSD Pro (when it isn't defective) plays everything I throw at it. Meanwhile the DS cart needs new games added manually in firmware updates. With the NeoSD Pro you also get the sometimes okay NGCD support.
That and you need a special romset created solely for that cart. I enjoy my vanilla neo sd. Never had any issues with it at all. I've been tempted in the past for the pro versions but the NGCD support doesn't interest me when I have it running on my mister.

Looking at the prices, both TerraOnion and Darksoft, and considering the technical issues (plus the risk of puttin' all your eggs in one basket), I wonder if a 161in1 + buying single bootlegs from Aliexpress for the best games that are missing in the banana/blue cart might be the better choice at this point. Of course I'm only talkin' about MVS.
If you get a cart, get a blue v3 at this point. I have the banana v2 and it is what it is, lol.

There's also a thread on arcade projects where you can get a modded v3 it seems with proper romset and all the fluff is taken out. Have a look.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
No.

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
That and you need a special romset created solely for that cart. I enjoy my vanilla neo sd. Never had any issues with it at all. I've been tempted in the past for the pro versions but the NGCD support doesn't interest me when I have it running on my mister.

If you get a cart, get a blue v3 at this point. I have the banana v2 and it is what it is, lol.

There's also a thread on arcade projects where you can get a modded v3 it seems with proper romset and all the fluff is taken out. Have a look.

I thought this was quite interesting as well. I'll keep an eye on it.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
but the NeoSD Pro (when it isn't defective) plays everything I throw at it
Yup. Really can't complain in the end. Being able to play any software on real hardware is an absolute godsend.

I might need to put reset.cfg on it every couple of weeks, but I'll still gladly take it over nothing.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member

Yeah, I've recently bought a blue v3 (kept the my old banana cart, too).

Thanks for the suggestion! I've completely missed that thread in arcade-projects, I was keepin' an eye on the discussion about the "no fluff" multicart and I had no idea they started takin' preorders. Sadly, the import fees from the USA make this very expensive... but damn, this is tempting.

Last edited:

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I take it demand for the old NeoSD is still pretty high?
Lately, they haven't been common on sites like eBay. But as word spreads about how many current batches of these pros are defective, there might be a small boom on resale in the coming months. So possibly yeah, even more so.

Yup. Really can't complain in the end. Being able to play any software on real hardware is an absolute godsend.

I might need to put reset.cfg on it every couple of weeks, but I'll still gladly take it over nothing.
does it glitch because of the reset.cfg?

Yeah, I've recently bought a blue v3 (kept the my old banana cart, too).

Thanks for the suggestion! I've completely missed that thread in arcade-projects, I was keepin' an eye on the discussion about the "no fluff" multicart and I had no idea they started takin' preorders. Sadly, the import fees from the USA make this very expensive... but damn, this is tempting.
For the price of this cart on AP, its not too bad. You just need to show you bought Xenocrisis to get that one added. But once the cart is done, what you see is what you get with it though.

I'd personally recommend the neosd though but since the issue with the pro's are happening at the moment, you would pay a decent price of an OG version.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
does it glitch because of the reset.cfg?
No, reset.cfg is what gets it working again. It restores the NeoSD to factory defaults.

I do it once the cart starts going screwy. Usually it stops going to the menu and instead tries to load a messed up RB2 I have stuck in flash slot 1. Really only the RAM slot works on this cart. Which is fine, it's the only slot I use anyway.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I take it demand for the old NeoSD is still pretty high?
It seemed like once the Pro came out, everyone forgot about the original. They didn't even bother making more of them this time.

That one doesn't even have the fast ram slot, right? So count me out.