The PSP seems kind of cool.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
If you like arcade style racers Ridge Racer and Wipeout have excellent PSP versions.

Also Lumines and Space Invaders Extreme for music/puzzle action.
This. Ridge Racer 2 over the first, though. More or less the same game, but 2 has a few more tracks and a larger soundtrack. Incredible game - still looks and plays great today.

Also, both Mega Man games (Maverick Hunter X and Powered Up) are excellent remakes of the first game in each respective series - Powered Up even has a full on level creator. Castlevania Dracula X Collection is also awesome and bundles a 3D remake of Rondo, the original PCE Rondo, and (what I consider to be) the best version of Symphony of the Night.

Enjoy!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not a handheld guy but I liked the psp alot. Bunch of cool games, easy to jailbreak and add emulators like Neo, Cps1/2. They ran great too. Sold mine because it just wasn't being used but it's worth it if you enjoy playing on portables.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
They had both of those games at the shop and I made a mental note to look them up since they were both too expensive. I had never heard of Half-Minute, but I just watched a few clips and it looks pretty unique/fun.
They aren't expensive games. You can grab them online.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
only until 2037 until we get 'the ps5 is kinda cool' threads I suppose.
Where were people when this was actually out?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
PSP was great! I preordered one with Ridge Racer at release - the games hold up very well. But one of the rare cases where I would say OG hardware is the absolute worst way to play. Handheld emulators allow you to upscale and tweak the experience for modern displays and the games look amazing. Having only done that the last couple years, going back to the OG PSP would melt my eyes.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
They aren't expensive games. You can grab them online.
You're right. I didn't check the prices of those when I was at the shop and they had them way jacked up there. All the other games I did check were spot-on, so I assumed they were accurate.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, the emulation was top notch. I think it's where I finally finished most of my Sega CD backlog.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
only until 2037 until we get 'the ps5 is kinda cool' threads I suppose.
Where were people when this was actually out?
I mean, there were threads back in the day from others. It was a popular handheld in its time. Gave Nintendo a real run for their money. The PSP has a huge library, so someone was buying them.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
PSP was great! I preordered one with Ridge Racer at release - the games hold up very well. But one of the rare cases where I would say OG hardware is the absolute worst way to play. Handheld emulators allow you to upscale and tweak the experience for modern displays and the games look amazing. Having only done that the last couple years, going back to the OG PSP would melt my eyes.
Agreed - the PSP library by and large holds up to scrutiny even at 4k resolutions. Hell, I even paid for the "GOLD" PPSSPP Emulator because I use it so much and wanted to show the devs some support for a job well done. The PSP was/is an incredible gaming device.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
My favorite non-neo geo console of all time. Bought it on release day and took it everywhere for years.

Aside from having true modern console graphics at the time (since the ps2 was still current gen when the psp released), it went on to have an amazing library still full of exclusives to this day (hell, one of the best Vanillaware games is still stuck on this thing as I type this).

Before smartphones became the dominant norm, as an attempt at an all-in-one media device, it felt like there was nothing the unit couldn’t play at the time.

Despite having a Steam Deck, Switch, etc, my modded pspgo is still what I prefer to play on when I travel lol

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Same here, my favorite console of all time. Of course modifying a PSVita Slim is super easy nowadays (you literally connect to a site with your Vita and it does everything for you), and when you're done you'll have the best PSP ever. I suggest the Slim model, despite the inferior LCD screen, 'cause in my opinion it's so much better in every aspect that really counts on a handheld - weight, ergonomics, buttons. And the screen is gorgeous anyway.

The PSP library is huge. Lots of tactical RPGs (Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc), obscure and less obscure visual novels, JRPGs (I've played the first two Trails in the Sky on my PSP, they're still my favorite JRPG), old school platform games... I can't possibly make a list. But I'll recommend a golf game that in my opinion is the best ever, alongside Neo Turf Masters: Pangya.

Pangya was born as a korean online PC game, and it was ported on the Wii, but the PSP version is a different beast. It takes all the best qualities of Everybody's Golf and adds fantasy elements, lots of customizable characters with a long story mode for each one, and tons of items - not just golf equipment, but for example potions that let you cancel the wind, or make a stronger shot. Some of the crazier golf courses have lava, ice, and even windmills where you have to time your shot so it doesn't hit the blades. Just like Neo Turf Masters, it's a game that I can pick up and play even today.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Just jailbroke it, but didn't realize these things used special microSD card adapters so I had to order one before I slap emu/roms on it.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
My favorite non-neo geo console of all time. Bought it on release day and took it everywhere for years.

Aside from having true modern console graphics at the time (since the ps2 was still current gen when the psp released), it went on to have an amazing library still full of exclusives to this day (hell, one of the best Vanillaware games is still stuck on this thing as I type this).

Before smartphones became the dominant norm, as an attempt at an all-in-one media device, it felt like there was nothing the unit couldn’t play at the time.

Despite having a Steam Deck, Switch, etc, my modded pspgo is still what I prefer to play on when I travel lol
I bought one at launch along with Lumines and I think THPS underground remix or whatever it was called. But I also remember saving up for Wipeout Pure specifically because there was some hack that let you use it as an internet browser which was pretty novel at the time. I also remember using a film editor to convert my favorite scenes from the Matrix to watch on PSP because I was sick of Spiderman 2 lol

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
PSP has a very solid library. Id soft mod it and throw some games on there. That Every Extend Extra is a cool game. Done by the same guy that made Rez (I think). There are also a few good translations out there.

Some of my favorites:

Goku Makaimura Kai
Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 EX
Grand Knight History
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
Ys (all of them)
Jeanne D' Arc
Final Fantasy IV
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphics Novel
Metal Gear Peace Walker
30 Half Minute Hero
Ridge Racer
Final Fantasy Tactics - patched to fix slow down.
Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
They had Space Invaders Extreme there but I didn't even look at it. Just kind of assumed it was trash.
Space Invaders Extreme is fucking marvelous.
I have two PSPs, a 1000 & 3000.
They are built like tanks.
The 3000 has AV cables available to hook it up to a TV so that's pretty cool.
Both of mine are jail broken (it's dumb easy to do) and roms are literally drag and drop.
Some great emulators are available too.

Is the Vita region locked?
I've never looked into it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Vita isn't region locked but you need a separate memory card for each region. Can't save your US and JP games to the same card.