The PSP seems kind of cool.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've had one for a long-ass time, but never used it much. Past few months I've been picking up the occasional cheap game here and there and I've been having enough fun with it that I want to upgrade to a 3000 instead of my busted old 1000.

Popped in my copy of Patapon last night and had a blast with it despite being ass a Rhythm games. Also ordered a copy of Every Extend Extra since that was cheap as hell and seems like wacky fun too.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
The PSP is an excellent console/handheld. If you're just getting into a hand full of physical games, a PSP 3000 is a great purchase.

At the same time, consider getting a PS Vita and jailbreaking it instead - Japanese Slim units are quite cheap these days. You can download *any* PSP, PS1, or PS Vita game right from an app on the Vita - better screen than a PSP and runs all games wonderfully. You could also use either a Vita or PSP as a snazzy emulation station too. The jailbreak is quite easy to do as well.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The PSP is an excellent console/handheld. If you're just getting into a hand full of physical games, a PSP 3000 is a great purchase.

At the same time, consider getting a PS Vita and jailbreaking it instead - Japanese Slim units are quite cheap these days. You can download *any* PSP, PS1, or PS Vita game right from an app on the Vita - better screen than a PSP and runs all games wonderfully. You could also use either a Vita or PSP as a snazzy emulation station too. The jailbreak is quite easy to do as well.
I was actually looking into prices for those; my wife is going to Japan in a few weeks so the timing is on point.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
here's what ya do:
1. Play Crush
2. Agree with me that it's awesome or go fuck yourself
Sounds interesting.

I've been snagging stuff that is cheap so if I happen to see it I shall.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman

I'd go this route before spending more on psp stuff. In addition to everything yagamikun said, the dpad and buttons are so much better on vita.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
This intrigues me now about the GO

I just have a UMD one

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The PSP and I guess Vita was (were?) the only non-NAOMI / Dreamcast system to get a Power Stone port. It's criminal. I no longer own one, and wouldn't own it just for that, but I feel as a PSA I must say if you are stuck with a PSP at least play some fucking Power Stone.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The PSP and I guess Vita was (were?) the only non-NAOMI / Dreamcast system to get a Power Stone port. It's criminal. I no longer own one, and wouldn't own it just for that, but I feel as a PSA I must say if you are stuck with a PSP at least play some fucking Power Stone.

I almost bought that many years ago before it was stupidly expensive and I wish I did.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Went to my local shop and picked up Rengoku 2, Crisis Core, and Phantasy Star Portable. I definitely like buying the physical games, but some of the prices on this thing are nuts and I'm not going above $20 for any of these. I'll happily just steal the hell out of what I can't find on the cheap.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
They had Space Invaders Extreme there but I didn't even look at it. Just kind of assumed it was trash.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Those PSP burnout games are awesome.

Guilty pleasure are the Pursuit Force games…controls a little stiff but fun over the top racing and action games.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Those PSP burnout games are awesome.

Guilty pleasure are the Pursuit Force games…controls a little stiff but fun over the top racing and action games.
Pursuit force is on ps4/5 now

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
If you like arcade style racers Ridge Racer and Wipeout have excellent PSP versions.

Also Lumines and Space Invaders Extreme for music/puzzle action.
I always wanted to try the Sega Rally PSP version, never got that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have a 2000 model, which some prefer over the 3000. Played it and my 1000 a lot back in the day, considering I'm not a big portable system fan.

No one mentioned Half-Minute Hero or Jeanne d'Arc yet. Or that weird version of Lunar.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I have a 2000 model, which some prefer over the 3000. Played it and my 1000 a lot back in the day, considering I'm not a big portable system fan.

No one mentioned Half-Minute Hero or Jeanne d'Arc yet. Or that weird version of Lunar.
They had both of those games at the shop and I made a mental note to look them up since they were both too expensive. I had never heard of Half-Minute, but I just watched a few clips and it looks pretty unique/fun.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I played the shit out my PSP 3000 back in the day, had a lot of hours on Gran Turismo. The Ridge Racer games were fucking on point too.

I sold that thing ages ago but the Vita is worth it over the PSP nowadays, PSP games look great on it and the Adrenaline app boots you into the PSP XMB so it's like actually using a PSP but better screen, filter options etc.