Vengeance Hunters (Beat 'em Up) for the Neo Geo

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
opt2not i had to ignore you cause i dont honestly want to be discusing your rewrite of the story all over again, here is the email we sent to every customer, pcbs were exchanged . As i said we did wrong, we could have done better, but its far from fair that it was "my fault",

Pcbs were exchanged, i dont know why you havent exchanged yours, but its not true to say we havent exchanged the pcbs cause we did.

I understand you dont want to buy more products from TO or from me. I will have your experience in consideration for future products, hope to do better.
This is the first time I've ever seen this message.
I triple-checked my inbox and did not receive this message. I also verified that my email address is correct on your site since I still have my order history.
So I don't know why I didn't receive the offer to exchange my faulty one, because I definitely would have done that. 🤷‍♂️

Was this sent out as an email?

Edit:
I just talked to a few people who also bought the first revision and they also said they never received this notice. So either you’re lying, or you guys conveniently put this notice out to places that not all your customers have access to. Like discord or some shit.
Or, you're trying to rewrite the story, which is likely coming from the dishonesty of your company.

If I knew this was option I would not be here talking shit.
This would actually be good customer support.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Certainly does not have the look of a Neo-Geo game, sadly.
People used to say the same about KOF 2001.

I actually do like the art style but I have zero interest in playing this stage:

Vengueance Hunters.jpeg

That kind of stuff was frustrating enough when I was a kid and Battletoads was one of the few games I had for the SNES.

amerika

n00b
People used to say the same about KOF 2001.

I actually do like the art style but I have zero interest in playing this stage:

View attachment 72424

That kind of stuff was frustrating enough when I was a kid and Battletoads was one of the few games I had for the SNES.

Hah, this sub-stage is pretty easy. The mini-games we have are pretty easy and are more palette cleansers and something other to do than walk right as opposed to being hard as nails Battletoads-style gatekeepers. We have three mini-games, all of which play different (well, four if you count a different version of the last one). None of them are hard or intended to be hard.

I'm gonna go into TLDR here, so my apologies for the long'ish winded post. But some context is probably best as to understand our goals with VH.

As for the visuals, you're right. We went for a Saturday morning carton style that is of the era. The main animator is one of the animators for Shredder's Revenge and is an old crusty guy like most of us and loves that era. We were not going for the same grungy gritty style that a lot of other Neo-Geo games use (there are outliers as you know in the library). We are going for our own vision of what we wanted to make using NG hardware to stand out and try to expand the library. Especially in a genre that isn't super well represented on the platform. The idea is that this is something you might see on the NG if devs still developed for it in 2024.

This same philosophy doesn't just apply to the visuals either. This game does not play like most era beat'em'ups as it has a LOT of options for play styles and combos that can get pretty crazy. Especially in two player. You don't just hit a few buttons and make enemies fall down. You hit them with multiple different moves and make them fly in the air and across the screen. You then try to keep the in the air. Then you try to splat them against the wall, or bounce them off the wall or hit them with an OTG (off the ground) to bounce them back up and try to maximize the amount of damage you do while also remaining safe. The game play has more in common with Marvel vs. Capcom than it does most era beat'em'ups that kept everything super simple. The game play is designed for people who just want to mash a few buttons to do cool stuff randomly. But it's also designed for people to really sink their teeth into if they want to go all in on learn mechanics for each of the playable characters. We wanted depth in the game so that you have options to avoid beat'em'up fatigue.

So this game was not meant to simply copy the looks, sound and game play of that era of games. It is literally meant to be a new game on the Neo-Geo designed with a more modern take while still being era appropriate. I know some will not like some or even all of what I described. And that is not just fine, it's expected. You can't make anything that appeases everyone. However, we really like what we've made. And, hopefully, we can get a demo out to you guys and you can judge for yourselves without any investment.

So, yeah, long winded way of saying what we hoped to accomplish with the game. Hopefully it clears up a few things for some of you. Feel free to ping me with any questions/concerns/feedback/vitriole. I'm pretty good with all of it.

Last edited:

amerika

n00b
When will this game actually drop?
We are shooting for May but we can't 100% promise this. It will be May or very soon after. And since I believe in at least brief transparency, I'll explain below some of what we have left to finish up.

Right now we are working on the final boss, the cut scenes (I can't wait to share a bit of those) and polish/balancing/bug hunting. I'm spending this weekend re-balancing some enemies and waves. So we're OH SO CLOSE to being finished out. But due to not just the work above, but logistical issues like getting physical carts programmed, tested and shipped out, as well as add in all the things needed for modern platform releases, our timeline is a bit tight.

Also, if you live near Stone Age Gamer in Ohio, I believe they now have a more recent build of the game available to play for people in their MVS cabinet. So if you want to go check out work in progress and live near there, please do!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We are shooting for May but we can't 100% promise this. It will be May or very soon after. And since I believe in at least brief transparency, I'll explain below some of what we have left to finish up.

Right now we are working on the final boss, the cut scenes (I can't wait to share a bit of those) and polish/balancing/bug hunting. I'm spending this weekend re-balancing some enemies and waves. So we're OH SO CLOSE to being finished out. But due to not just the work above, but logistical issues like getting physical carts programmed, tested and shipped out, as well as add in all the things needed for modern platform releases, our timeline is a bit tight.

Also, if you live near Stone Age Gamer in Ohio, I believe they now have a more recent build of the game available to play for people in their MVS cabinet. So if you want to go check out work in progress and live near there, please do!
Interesting. It seems like it's usually hardware that delays aftermarket Neo Geo carts, not development work.

amerika

n00b
Interesting. It seems like it's usually hardware that delays aftermarket Neo Geo carts, not development work.
Yeah, the logistics of getting physical carts out internationally as well as stuff like getting certified to release on modern platforms (including achievements) and thorough testing are rough and it might end up taking longer than we predicted back when we announced the game. We also had a few vacations, one guy moving house and we increased scope a bit in some areas after we announced the game due to the response we got.

For my day job, I've been shipping software for a long time. This is my first game ever, but I can at least guesstimate some of the timelines and hurdles we have and I know enough to feel a bit shaky on guaranteeing a date. I also believe that nobody trying to ship a game should adhere to an arbitrary date if you can avoid it too. But when you ask people to put down money, you need to be responsible for trying to be accurate with a ship date and do your best. Good communication and setting expectations goes a long way to making a majority of people happy at least if there ends up being a delay.

promking

Armored Scrum Object

So a digital buy rom file to work on NeoSD will still be available?
I'd love to try it first, and then buy the cart if I really like the game.
I've been burned hard by NGdev, and Watermelon that I prob won't ever preorder a game again.

amerika

n00b
So a digital buy rom file to work on NeoSD will still be available?
I'd love to try it first, and then buy the cart if I really like the game.
I've been burned hard by NGdev, and Watermelon that I prob won't ever preorder a game again.
Currently, and you can imagine why, we are only releasing the game on physical carts and modern platform ports. Which I know isn't the best answer for what you and others want who want to use OG hardware. I also typically buy a ROM first and then go buy a physical cart later if I like the game. I will almost always still use the ROM to play from a flash cart for convenience even after getting the physical cart. I probably own more new games for old systems than old games at this point. So I get it.

We have spoken publicly about the potential of a NeoSD/NeoSD Pro locked ROM. That would help some people who already own that hardware despite the fact that we know it might upset some people who do not (or simply want to play on a MiSTer).

I also get not pre-ordering. I rarely do it myself these days. I'm still waiting on Paprium. NeoFid has been great though.

We are looking into getting an unlocked ROM demo out that could be played by any device as long as we can guarantee security of the released game. If not, a NeoSD locked demo ROM. We will definitely get a demo out to people on modern platforms, and in particular, Steam. And the game can be ran on a toaster or even with a Steam Deck pretty easily. So if you want to try it, those would be alternatives.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yeah, the logistics of getting physical carts out internationally as well as stuff like getting certified to release on modern platforms (including achievements) and thorough testing are rough and it might end up taking longer than we predicted back when we announced the game. We also had a few vacations, one guy moving house and we increased scope a bit in some areas after we announced the game due to the response we got.

For my day job, I've been shipping software for a long time. This is my first game ever, but I can at least guesstimate some of the timelines and hurdles we have and I know enough to feel a bit shaky on guaranteeing a date. I also believe that nobody trying to ship a game should adhere to an arbitrary date if you can avoid it too. But when you ask people to put down money, you need to be responsible for trying to be accurate with a ship date and do your best. Good communication and setting expectations goes a long way to making a majority of people happy at least if there ends up being a delay.

I was SO CLOSE to preorder this because, well, it's my favorite genre on my favorite system. But holy cow, that international shipping and taxes killed my desire instantly. :(

You aren't planning to offer any kind of EU-friendly shipping, right?

Will probably wait for the physical Switch cart for now, then. The game DOES look super cool, I love it!

amerika

n00b
I was SO CLOSE to preorder this because, well, it's my favorite genre on my favorite system. But holy cow, that international shipping and taxes killed my desire instantly. :(

You aren't planning to offer any kind of EU-friendly shipping, right?

Will probably wait for the physical Switch cart for now, then. The game DOES look super cool, I love it!
Yeah dude, it sucks. Since we basically have to play by the rules when shipping, there is not much we can do about it based on how individual countries treat shipment taxes and fees. HOWEVER, we are looking into potential ways to get stuff shipped to people cheaper. It's another one of our logistical hell situations at the moment. But we're trying to do our best.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yeah dude, it sucks. Since we basically have to play by the rules when shipping, there is not much we can do about it based on how individual countries treat shipment taxes and fees. HOWEVER, we are looking into potential ways to get stuff shipped to people cheaper. It's another one of our logistical hell situations at the moment. But we're trying to do our best.

Please do!
Or have someone travel to Europe and ship from here. I'm sure customs won't notice at the airport. :D

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Currently, and you can imagine why, we are only releasing the game on physical carts and modern platform ports. Which I know isn't the best answer for what you and others want who want to use OG hardware. I also typically buy a ROM first and then go buy a physical cart later if I like the game. I will almost always still use the ROM to play from a flash cart for convenience even after getting the physical cart. I probably own more new games for old systems than old games at this point. So I get it.

We have spoken publicly about the potential of a NeoSD/NeoSD Pro locked ROM. That would help some people who already own that hardware despite the fact that we know it might upset some people who do not (or simply want to play on a MiSTer).

I also get not pre-ordering. I rarely do it myself these days. I'm still waiting on Paprium. NeoFid has been great though.

We are looking into getting an unlocked ROM demo out that could be played by any device as long as we can guarantee security of the released game. If not, a NeoSD locked demo ROM. We will definitely get a demo out to people on modern platforms, and in particular, Steam. And the game can be ran on a toaster or even with a Steam Deck pretty easily. So if you want to try it, those would be alternatives.
I would 100% buy a locked NeoSD rom.
I'll even buy a cart when they come out if they're readily available.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

I live about 45 minutes away and have been meaning to check out their retail location for years. Would be cool to try this out before making a purchase decision. Ultimately, though, I'd be in favor of a rom purchase if that ever becomes viable.

NeoSeeD

n00b

If piracy is what is stopping the company from releasing the game as a standard ROM or on CD, they're wasting their time. Modern platform versions will most likely be online within hours. People that want to buy the game will buy it. Those that don't won't.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
As it should be, the only reason neogeo games were expensive is because of the media, and the markup these developers put on them nowadays

And the only reason the neo gets homebrew releases like this is that they can slip a $200 profit in hopefully without people noticing

amerika

n00b
We wanted to make a Neo-Geo game and we wanted to put it out as a physical release because that's what we love. Releasing it on a secure cartridge, that isn't Aliexpress quality and would be cloned in a week, along with a shockbox and color manual is expensive. The parts aren't cheap, getting factories to make them (correctly) is not cheap, getting the parts shipped isn't cheap and then shipping the final put together game out isn't cheap. And making a game isn't cheap since people with certain skills and experience need to be paid. Then you throw in the fact that the audience is going to be very small and niche.

In short, we aren't getting rich or even close to rich off selling Neo-Geo carts. This is not a quick flip homebrew effort. The goal was to make a quality game we are proud of that plays well and, hopefully, the carts end up covering our costs and that we get to keep making games as a team. We are hoping the modern version sales do well enough to help support the teams efforts for future game making.

And, of course, over time the modern platform would get discounted. Every other game does this over time and I am sure we will be no different.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If piracy is what is stopping the company from releasing the game as a standard ROM or on CD, they're wasting their time. Modern platform versions will most likely be online within hours. People that want to buy the game will buy it. Those that don't won't.
Oh, this debate again? You must be new here. The modern platform versions can't be played on Neo Geo and most people don't have a hacked modern console. The Neo Geo version is expensive.