Vengeance Hunters (Beat 'em Up) for the Neo Geo

amerika

n00b
I know this thread is pretty old now, but I figured I'd say hi. If anybody has questions about Vengeance Hunters, just let me know. I'm the lead game play designer, part time director (we all wear that hat) and I have been taking care of all the social media stuff.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I know this thread is pretty old now, but I figured I'd say hi. If anybody has questions about Vengeance Hunters, just let me know. I'm the lead game play designer, part time director (we all wear that hat) and I have been taking care of all the social media stuff.
Welcome!

I am interested in the game, but haven't ordered yet. I still have two other Neo Geo games currently preordered.

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
Has the MVS cart been tested with multi-slot hardware? Will it work properly alongside other carts with proper BIOS support?

amerika

n00b
Has the MVS cart been tested with multi-slot hardware? Will it work properly alongside other carts with proper BIOS support?
The cart is using hardware that is very similar to the base NeoSD from TerraOnion as they are handling the hardware. If your multi-slot can work with that cart, then it should work with ours. We are still finishing the game so we don't have any final hardware to test with yet, but our best guess is that if it will run the NeoSD, it will be fine with Vengeance Hunters.

We have a lot of hardware to test on at least when we get to that point and I can update you later.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
What is the native aspect ratio. Will it be widescreen on the digital platforms.

amerika

n00b
What is the native aspect ratio. Will it be widescreen on the digital platforms.
It will be 4:3 with black borders and I believe we're adding some art/options for people who want that. If it's up to me, I won't even include an option to stretch the game. But I believe we will have some scaling options for people who prefer different types of scaling options. The game looks crazy good on a Switch OLED.

neosd

Neosd Developer
some crt love

gameplay is broken on the atract mode cause when gameplay changes the recording capture we used for the atract mode needs to be recorded again with the actual gameplay, it will be broken until game is finished i would say, we will do another recording then

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I understand the idea of 'What's the point of developing the game for Neo Geo if it doesn't feel like a Neo Geo game?' At the same time, I'm not going to try to police what should or shouldn't be developed for the platform.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It doesnt look like a Neo Geo game, but I dont know why that matters.
I'd say it looks like a game based on a 90's cartoon , which is still period specific.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
explain why it dosent looks like a neo geo game please
The art style. But that's fine. I'm not expecting a modern Western release to look the same as a vintage Japanese game.

neosd

Neosd Developer
there are no japanese artists there for sure,

maybe my opinion dosent counts cause i work on the game, but i feel is more far from an amiga team17 game than from a japanese game, and i dont think its close to a japanese game art style at all.

Art aproach has been saturday morning cartoons, yes. I think the art is gorgeous : animations, backgrounds ... Plan has been always to make a great beatemup, not to clone streets of rage (to name something).

A game from a genre where neo geo never had many games, using actual gameplay and to give back some love to a system that gave me so much : first when i was a kid and played the MVS at arcades, now as adult producing neosds. I dont think there is a better place to put the effort than on a Neo Geo game. Always wanted to make games, like most of you, so glad to have made it for neo geo, i will left something worth behind.

I been playing the game for 2 years now. Today build 3403 was compiled, i launched the game on MVS to watch the intro (we are working on the intro this week), decided to hit start and ended playing it 20 minutes. I guess we did something good there, cause after 2 years i feel the development fatigue of trying the same game all over again and again, but for some reason it entertains me and i dont feel its boring or i am tired to play it. So even having lost the perspective of what we have after all this time, i think something works there when i spend 20 minutes on something i have played infinite times.

Would love to hear what others think about the game and everytime we sent it to someone outside the team i am really curious whats the opinion just cause you loose the perspective of the product after playing the same game for so long.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
" using actual gameplay and to give back some love to a system that gave me so much"

How about giving back to the people who bought your first rev SSDS3 with the bad RGB and audio skipping that you claimed wasn't an issue and "quality was immeasurable". people spent time and money having to fix your bad design, having to rely on Voultar and Mobius to correct what should have been corrected by you. And you did NOTHING about it. No recalls, no offers to fix them, no money returned.

GTFOH with that giving back shit, you're not doing us any favors. you're a greedy business man, say it for what it is.

neosd

Neosd Developer
" using actual gameplay and to give back some love to a system that gave me so much"

How about giving back to the people who bought your first rev SSDS3 with the bad RGB and audio skipping that you claimed wasn't an issue and "quality was immeasurable". people spent time and money having to fix your bad design, having to rely on Voultar and Mobius to correct what should have been corrected by you. And you did NOTHING about it. No recalls, no offers to fix them, no money returned.

GTFOH with that giving back shit, you're not doing us any favors. you're a greedy business man, say it for what it is.
to be fair with your coment, i own half of TO, thats 50% of it.

I wasnt the one who designed the pcb, but i feel i am responsibe for half of what TO did, for the good and for the bad, things could have been done better for sure in so many ways.

Answering your coment, we replaced all pcbs for the first SSDS3 batch that had a design mistake at no cost (shipment in both ways included), those pcbs are still sitting here getting dust, they never were sold to anyone else, a complete batch of pcbs.

After the initial revision of SSDS3 people still felt that the noise needed to be more filtered so work was done by none on your individual list but from FBX that found that a capacitor could filter even more the noise reducing it to nothing, a mod was presented for those that wanted to apply it that was one capacitor with the cost of 20 cents and two easy solder points.

Going back to your coment about greedy : i could be in spain burning the money under the sea sun but i decided to make neo geo videogames cause i want, and i am going to continue doing things that make me happy like doing neo geo games, doing or not doing money with those, until i ran out of money or until i get tired to.

I can only recomend you the same : doing things that make you happy, and try to do the best you can, as i feel i always tried to do. But my best advice is to do those things with people that have a compromise with your customers that care about them, and with you. People that when there is an isue dont let you eat all shit alone no matters if its your fault or not. And the best of the advice : dont let your name being the only public side of a company cause when shit happens it dosent matters who screwerd it, who ddint cared to offer solutions to your customers, you will allways be remembered to be the only responsibe.

Enjoy life, reading you rewrite the story makes me feel sad to see that many anger inside

Alex, 50% of Terraonion, racist, cat killer, worst person ever

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
2388_2.png

That's what a Neo-Geo game looks like.

Vengeance Hunters does not share this art style. That's not to say it's a bad game, it just doesn't look like it was developed for the Neo-Geo. It looks like a modern 2D brawler that's been made to work on Neo-Geo hardware. For some people that's fine, for someone like me, who's being playing Neo-Geo games for 30+ years, it looks jarring... so I'll pass.

neosd

Neosd Developer
2388_2.png

That's what a Neo-Geo game looks like.

Vengeance Hunters does not share this art style. That's not to say it's a bad game, it just doesn't look like it was developed for the Neo-Geo. It looks like a modern 2D brawler that's been made to work on Neo-Geo hardware. For some people that's fine, for someone like me, who's being playing Neo-Geo games for 30+ years, it looks jarring... so I'll pass.
thanks for the feedback, i never considered that.

i understand its not your taste but its weird that i dont feel the same as you playing the game while being playing neo geo games for the same time as you.

I mean : i play the game and i dont feel its something made to work on the neo geo. It has been done with the same neo geo hardware limitations : 16 colors, with the same screen resolution, with the same amount of sprites neo geo can handle simultaneous.

Its more you dont like the artistic decision/route/design than "its not a neo geo game but something else that has been made to work on the neo geo" i would say

either way, your coment has made me think about how others see the game, so thats great

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Answering your coment, we replaced all pcbs for the first SSDS3 batch that had a design mistake at no cost (shipment in both ways included), those pcbs are still sitting here getting dust, they never were sold to anyone else, a complete batch of pcbs.
Oh really? so why do I still have the original faulty PCB? When did you offer replacements to customers that bought it? I got no email or notification of any kind, nor was that ever stated on your site. I'm not the only one, there are a lot of people that still have the first revision SSDS3 and haven't received an offer for replacement.
If there really was an option for replacing the faulty one, I wouldn't be here writing this shit.

I can only recomend you the same : doing things that make you happy,
WTF, we're not talking about life coaching here, we're talking about business and making right a wrong you guys did, whether you're 50% responsible or not. I don't really care if making neo geo games makes you happy. You do that, enjoy yourself. I'm concerned that a device that cost me $300+ had faulty functionality of features that were promised was not rectified.

Enjoy life, reading you rewrite the story makes me feel sad to see that many anger inside

Alex, 50% of Terraonion, racist, cat killer, worst person ever
This is not me rewriting the story. This happened.
I can easily go and bring up the threads here and on the shmups forum that will recall your memory.

And yes, of course it still makes me angry. not only from the faulty product I received, and had to spend extra money and time to fix, but also the blatant denial from the other 50% of your company with no effort to make things right. Now ALL products from company produces is on my ignore list. I cannot risk throwing 100's of dollars towards products that show up faulty with no fallback to get those faults fixed. I might as well just burn money.

neosd

Neosd Developer
opt2not i had to ignore you cause i dont honestly want to be discusing your rewrite of the story all over again, here is the email we sent to every customer, pcbs were exchanged . As i said we did wrong, we could have done better, but its far from fair that it was "my fault",

Pcbs were exchanged, i dont know why you havent exchanged yours, but its not true to say we havent exchanged the pcbs cause we did.

I understand you dont want to buy more products from TO or from me. I will have your experience in consideration for future products, hope to do better.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2024-03-01 a las 1.12.57.png
    Captura de pantalla 2024-03-01 a las 1.12.57.png
    368 KB · Views: 28