What's Your Favorite Item in Your SNK Collection?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
A good lot of us have a collection/library/etc. of SNK and Neo related items and games. Many of us have been in this community for literal decades at this point and have been through multiple phases in our lives which have impacted both what we have and why we keep this stuff around.

So - Just curious which item you have is your favorite and why? This isn't a question of market value, but personal value.

Could be a game, console, guidebook, action-figure - doesn't matter. The only requirement is it's SNK/Neo related or produced.

Mine:
-Japanese MVS Copy of Fatal Fury Special-

When my best mate left town to move south to Austin, we traded our personal MVS copies of FFS to each other as a kind of pact that we'll never stop playing games together. Kinda cheesy, sure, but 15 years later we still throw down weekly via online whether it's a modern fighter like Tekken 8 or use Fightcade to play our Neo stuff together.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Probably my MVS copies of Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters.

The former because I felt awesome playing it on a supergun setup for the first time. I could hardly believe I was playing a game from the arcades on my TV, it got me hooked beyond a passing interest.

The latter, my brother would come by and we would sit down with a couple of beers and play NTM for hours, just chatting and hanging out. Great memories

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I don't have any physical MVS/AES carts yet. Don't know if NeoSD counts.

But my favorite SNK item is my AES since that is something I always wanted.

And maybe the mint AES stick I have which was from a USA Gold set.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
My Dreamcast versions of lb2 and garou. I was big into dreamcast before getting into snk and the DC versions of lb2 and garou were basically my on ramp. It was also weird to see 2d low res games like these on the dreamcast at full price, it was like, this shouldn't exist in 2001, it made me more curious about snk and the neo geo library.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
The MotM matches were on, for sure. NGPC new @ Software Etc + The DC link cable and all the supported softs were my collegiate jam. Many good lunch room and common area good times!
Same deal - my NGPC went everywhere with me in my senior year of high school and first few years of college. I got one friend to buy into it my freshman year of college which led to many good MOTM bouts and battles in Card Fighters. MOTM is such a good game - if only SvC were even half the game it is... 🤷‍♂️ heh

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
If you know, you know :lolz::
IMG_1403.jpeg
:keke::keke::keke:

…but if I’m being completely serious and opt for an actual item rather than my favorites to play (home system+kof95/rb2, or ngpc+MotM)…

I’ll go with the complete set of Neo Geo Freak magazines. Finally getting to read through these for myself and learning a ton about the creative process, game lore, and promotion behind my favorite games of all time was everything to me. So much awesome information contained in these that I had a blast reading through:
IMG_1399.jpeg
If I can dork out here for a bit, it was awesome to see the current SNK even release a new issue when they were promoting their latest Samurai Shodown title:
IMG_1402.jpeg
Lastly, when I acquired this set it also came with the proofs from the final issue of the magazine’s original run:
IMG_1400.jpeg
For those aware, I acquired this set from a certain individual’s private collection from what he salvaged from the original SNK. I am grateful that they were willing to part with the set.

Finally, this work from the community right here on the ol’ el hyphen will always mean a lot to me as well:
IMG_1398.jpeg

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Unlike used console games that had wear and tear or price stickers, I was fine with beat up MVS carts, cartons, etc.

Just seeing scratched serials or having mini marquees made me think how many people came into contact with the game I now owned. Like a, 'if these walls could talk' line of thinking.

I had one MVS game, Jesus I can't even remember what it was, but it came with a carton where the side with the label was COMPLETELY blacked out in marker, with a handwritten label saying Viewpoint. The game was not Viewpoint. Who the hell did that? Why? Whatever the case, the game and the carton were now inseparable.

I guess that was one aspect I liked when I collected MVS. Fun times.

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
Probably my Neo Drift Out cart. I don't have a huge collection, hell I didn't even get my first working Neo Geo (MVS) since last year, but I got my MVS cart of Neo Drift Out from someone who turned out to be a member here, though I can't recall his username.

Went on a little roadtrip with a friend of mine to pick up an MVS mini cab in Arizona a few years ago. Was probably a 10 hour drive each way. We were loading the machine in the back of the truck and I asked if he had a copy of NDO since I really liked playing it at the local laundromat years ago, turned out he did.

Once I got my 4 slot situated, it was the first game I booted up. I know it's probably nothing special to you old school dudes here at this point, but being able to play the game at home on a cabinet for the first time was an awesome experience.