The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Err sf3 was 97 or something
Let's compare motw to 3s

.. lol let's not

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
GAROU still wins because SF3 is garbage tier no matter the iteration.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Alright Joe thanks for your input buddy
well. the point being SFIII had two revisions. but Garou only had one version.

So it'd be fairer to compare Garou to III. Which is how I remember it from my childhood in the arcade. A large cabinet with a number spelled out in its marquee, enigmatic but self-evident to what it is : THREE.

Last edited:

HellioN

20 Year Member
That's because SNK got GAROU right on the first try.
CrapCarp took two additional swings at it and still got it wrong.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
well. the point being SFIII had two revisions. but Garou only had one version.

So it'd be fairer to compare Garou to III. Which is how I remember it from my childhood in the arcade. A large cabinet with a number spelled out in its marquee, enigmatic but self-evident to what it is : THREE.
The title screen is pretty kol

Hayato

n00b
they are both amazing in their own way. SF3's parry system is really fun. Sometimes I play just to keep parrying. motw is a good memory I have from the early 2000s

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
So am I, like I think FFS is a better game than (at least vanilla) Super Street Fighter, and I would rather play any Real Bout over any SF Alpha. But Third Strike is just a better game than MotW.

Maybe against the original SF3, MotW is a closer contender.

I’m with you on the Fatal Fury Series even though I played much more Street Fighter back then.

I love Real Bout Special and 2 and think they’re some of the best games on the Neo, but Alpha 2 was such a big game for me. I think it reignited my interest in fighting games at the time even. I mean adding Sakura to the mix too.

We used to even play the SNES game at the game store I worked at the time and I know I used to play the Saturn and PS1 versions with @Stefan. I know Alpha 3 is arguably better but I put so much time into 2 when it first came out. I had seen something sometime on YouTube that discussed how Alpha 2 is bigger in the US and Alpha 3 is bigger in Japan not sure if that is really the case but it was for me.

I think maybe ease of access at the time had a lot to do with it.

MOTW vs SF3 that’s a tough one. I’d suppose SF3. If MOTW again was more accessible to me at the time I may have changed my vote to that. There was a small arcade in the mall at the time I played SF3 and Sega GT at no Neo to speak of there.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
3rd Strike in my opinion has the better tournament potential and was (at least here in Germany) a bigger favorite among the fighting game community then Garou.

I do however like Garou more in terms of content, music and atmosphere.

like half of the 3rd Strike rooster looks like they came out of a failed meth rehab.....

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
well. there is only one Garou. but there are three SFIII's.

This.

SFIII is, essentially, a series & as a result is hard to compare to a stand alone title like MOTW, particularly when the criteria is things such as bacrounds, sound, atmosphere, etc. It's really not a fair "fight" & almost every pro MOTW argument is going to be biased as fuck.

However, addressing the OP: SFIII (series) mops the floor with MOTW. The stages throughout III (particularly the first 2 installments before they started to smooth them out) are works of art. Many in MOWT are fantastic but there are a few that are simply O.K.

The soundtrack on the III titles also bests MOTW by a long shot. Hell, while the composition in MOTW ranges from great to stellar the quality is so bad on the neo that we had to wait for the posrts for a proper soudtack in the arranged one........thats not even TRULY arranged......as it's like an OST/AST hybrid mixing chip synths with AST grade compostition. Not that I frown dowm on that. I actually prefer it greatly. It just goes to show how bad the Neo revs SQ is & how it took an anhanced version on ports to make it listenable.

Roster wise SFIII has more characters & some great designs but I think it would be agreed that MOTW has a better overall roster when it comes to original designs while SFII has many designs that would have worked out better in a Darkstalkers title.

Things such as character select screens: SFIII, no contest. Win screens. again, SFIII, no contest.

I love MOTW but the SFIII series just offers so much more in terms of refined atmosphere. But it's not like this is an outlier scenario. Hell, there are those here who have made it known that the like a single Real Bout title more than MOTW. Real Bout is just like SFIII in that it is more of a series as opposed to just one stand alone game and we coule make the same comparison with that series & MOTW.

It's a shame that the OG succesor to MOTW did nlot see the light of day because if it did perhaps we would be saying otherwise.

Still, i'm just glad that we have SFIII & MOTW. As stated before, they belong in a class of game sthat stand as the pinnacle of 2-D fighting.

HellioN

20 Year Member
This.

SFIII is, essentially, a series & as a result is hard to compare to a stand alone title like MOTW, particularly when the criteria is things such as bacrounds, sound, atmosphere, etc. It's really not a fair "fight" & almost every pro MOTW argument is going to be biased as fuck.

However, addressing the OP: SFIII (series) mops the floor with MOTW. The stages throughout III (particularly the first 2 installments before they started to smooth them out) are works of art. Many in MOWT are fantastic but there are a few that are simply O.K.

The soundtrack on the III titles also bests MOTW by a long shot. Hell, while the composition in MOTW ranges from great to stellar the quality is so bad on the neo that we had to wait for the posrts for a proper soudtack in the arranged one........thats not even TRULY arranged......as it's like an OST/AST hybrid mixing chip synths with AST grade compostition. Not that I frown dowm on that. I actually prefer it greatly. It just goes to show how bad the Neo revs SQ is & how it took an anhanced version on ports to make it listenable.

Roster wise SFIII has more characters & some great designs but I think it would be agreed that MOTW has a better overall roster when it comes to original designs while SFII has many designs that would have worked out better in a Darkstalkers title.

Things such as character select screens: SFIII, no contest. Win screens. again, SFIII, no contest.

I love MOTW but the SFIII series just offers so much more in terms of refined atmosphere. But it's not like this is an outlier scenario. Hell, there are those here who have made it known that the like a single Real Bout title more than MOTW. Real Bout is just like SFIII in that it is more of a series as opposed to just one stand alone game and we coule make the same comparison with that series & MOTW.

It's a shame that the OG succesor to MOTW did nlot see the light of day because if it did perhaps we would be saying otherwise.

Still, i'm just glad that we have SFIII & MOTW. As stated before, they belong in a class of game sthat stand as the pinnacle of 2-D fighting.
heretic.jpg

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Capcom has always done a good job with its street fighter sequels but snk pulled out some impressive graphics lighting effects and Capcom changed the hardware board, Neogeo was faithful to its system.

sajesak

Volleyball Archeologist
I’m with you on the Fatal Fury Series even though I played much more Street Fighter back then.

I love Real Bout Special and 2 and think they’re some of the best games on the Neo, but Alpha 2 was such a big game for me. I think it reignited my interest in fighting games at the time even. I mean adding Sakura to the mix too.

We used to even play the SNES game at the game store I worked at the time and I know I used to play the Saturn and PS1 versions with @Stefan. I know Alpha 3 is arguably better but I put so much time into 2 when it first came out. I had seen something sometime on YouTube that discussed how Alpha 2 is bigger in the US and Alpha 3 is bigger in Japan not sure if that is really the case but it was for me.

I think maybe ease of access at the time had a lot to do with it.

MOTW vs SF3 that’s a tough one Grundfos MTC [52/126] MTR, MTRI 3. I’d suppose SF3. If MOTW again was more accessible to me at the time I may have changed my vote to that. There was a small arcade in the mall at the time I played SF3 and Sega GT at no Neo to speak of there.
I'm alternating between these two all-time greats on my Switch while on a flight from NYC to Florida right now, and I'll be damned if they aren't neck-and-neck in terms of overall quality. While 3S certainly enjoyed a more active competitive circuit thanks to the popularity of the Street Fighter series, I think Garou is every bit its equal in many ways.

0042.png

720x.jpg

These two games were swan songs for the era of Capcom and SNK pixel-art fighters, and both represent the two developers at the height of their craft. Their pixel art and animation are second-to-none within the genre, and their gameplay mechanics are honed to near perfection (aside from some balancing issues).

So it's time to make a choice, ERA. Gun to your head: which game reigns supreme weighing all of their respective strengths and weaknesses?

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Their pixel art and animation are second-to-none within the genre
Controversial opinion I know, but I always felt a lot of MOTW's art kinda falls flat. All relative of course, it looks way better than most games of the era. But I would say the Real Bouts, Last Blades and even AOF3 have better art.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm alternating between these two all-time greats on my Switch while on a flight from NYC to Florida right now, and I'll be damned if they aren't neck-and-neck in terms of overall quality. While 3S certainly enjoyed a more active competitive circuit thanks to the popularity of the Street Fighter series, I think Garou is every bit its equal in many ways.

0042.png

720x.jpg

These two games were swan songs for the era of Capcom and SNK pixel-art fighters, and both represent the two developers at the height of their craft. Their pixel art and animation are second-to-none within the genre, and their gameplay mechanics are honed to near perfection (aside from some balancing issues).

So it's time to make a choice, ERA. Gun to your head: which game reigns supreme weighing all of their respective strengths and weaknesses?
Gun to my head? Cap vs SNK 2

These two? Street Fighter 3

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm a big fan of CVS2 despite it's shortcomings, honestly I'd probably take it over either of these.