First album you ever bought?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First one I got for myself, I must have been in sixth grade. Sixth grade, generally speaking, is when people start to really take an interest in music and learn more about musicians. It was either Moby - Play or Weird Al - Running with Scissors. I remember my dad looking at the cover and insert of Play and wondering if the guy was a Neo-Nazi or something.

Some time later, I went to Best Buy to get the soundtrack for the Mortal Kombat movie, because the MORTAL KOMBAT song was (and is) a jam. I wish I could go back in time and see the disappointment on my face as I put the CD in and all I heard were some orchestra pieces. On that day is when I learned the difference between a movie soundtrack and an original score.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Two collection albums Beatles She loves you and a year later Rolling Stones Paint it black. I have no idea how official these are . I bought them at my local fleamarket when I was 9 or 10 years old. We used to loan CD's from the public library and then copy them to tape.

Attachments

• 41lpiM9E5kL.jpg
    41lpiM9E5kL.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rolling-stones-ndash-paint-it-black-cd-107c_3_big.jpg
    rolling-stones-ndash-paint-it-black-cd-107c_3_big.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
First album was Bomfunk MC's In Stereo
In_Stereo.jpg

Oh boy

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bought? Probably Adam Ant Friend or Foe. First year of junior high maybe?

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
First albums I bought were from one of the CD clubs, where you buy a bunch of albums at once sort of deal....

Soundgarden, Superunknown
Nirvana, Nevermind
Nirvana, Incesticide
Nirvana, In Utero
Green Jello, Cereal Killer Soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Hate Machine
Nine Inch Nails, Broken
Duran Duran, The Wedding Album
Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet
Bon Jovi, Young Guns Soundtrack

I think that was the list. Too bad about the Bon Jovi, other than that I think it's a solid list.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
First albums I bought were from one of the CD clubs, where you buy a bunch of albums at once sort of deal....

Soundgarden, Superunknown
Nirvana, Nevermind
Nirvana, Incesticide
Nirvana, In Utero
Green Jello, Cereal Killer Soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Hate Machine
Nine Inch Nails, Broken
Duran Duran, The Wedding Album
Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet
Bon Jovi, Young Guns Soundtrack

I think that was the list. Too bad about the Bon Jovi, other than that I think it's a solid list.
I almost went to this last weekend a local small concert spot tried to get @gusmoney to go with me but he was busy. Sounds like there are many but it’s long time members of Green Jello. I saw they play around a lot so hopefully next time based out of Philly.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I did have this on cassette but I think a friend stole it from a record store in the mall called the Record Bar (the logo was a Baby Ruth bar with Record Bar on it instead) and gave it to me.

1706976268316.jpeg

1706976368667.jpeg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh man I forgot about those music clubs. My mom would never let me order from them because she said they were a scam and we'd never get off their mailing list.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
No, I should've bought this first, except it had a PA sticker.

View attachment 71652
Mine had a misprint I believe it had the band college on the front and not this. I gave it to a friend of mine I wish I had kept it

I think that was the third CD I bought.

We need Xenia, Ohio’s hair metal master @Jon to weigh in on his first album.

I can’t argue with our choices back then that was what was popular on the radio. That’s what WMMR was playing.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I know I’m into hardcore rap, grindcore and death metal buuuut…
New Kids On The Block - Step by Step
Lol, my first album was their self-titled "New Kids On The Block" album on cassette. At that age I did not really care about music whatsoever but NKOTB were the popular band in school when I was in grade 3 or 4.

Before that I only had Peter Maffey's "Tabaluga" which my cousin had copied from vinyl onto a cassette and gifted to me. Not sure if this counts as an album since it contains a narrated story about a little dragon's journey from childhood into adulthood between the individual songs. "Ich wollte nie erwachsen sein" is probably one of the most beautyful German songs ever recorded. To this day I get goosebumps every single time I listen to this one.

Spoiler:
I NEVER WANTED TO BE AN ADULT (NESSAJA) SONGTEXT

I never wanted to be an adult
Always put up a fight
From the outside I became as hard as stone
And yet I was often hurt

Somewhere deep inside me, I remained a child
Only when I can't feel it anymore
I know it's too late for me
Too late, too late

Down at the bottom of the sea
Where all life is eternally silent
I can still see my dreams
Like air rising from the depths

Somewhere deep inside me
I have remained a child
Only when I can no longer feel it
Too late, too late

I glide through the darkness
And wait for the morning light
Then I play with the sunbeam
That breaks silver in the water

Somewhere deep inside me
I have remained a child
Only then, when I can′t feel it anymore
Too late, too late

The first album that I bought with my own money was Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell II".

But yeah, latest concert was Electric Callboy in Hanover a couple of days ago, which was wild.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I had a few albums when I was a kid that weren't children's records, but they were all bought for me. The actual first one I ever bought for myself with my own money or at least money I was given. Tears for Fears, Songs from the Big chair.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Tape was Metallica - Ride the Lightning
CD was Snorton Norton & the Morning Circus Band Songs for all Seasons (don't have it anymore)
Record, I'm not sure. I remember buying a used Iron Butterfly record in the 90s but the earliest retail record I remember buying was Three 6 Mafia Azz & Titties 12" single.
8-track, I never bought one at retail only used.
4-track, I bought one used, don't remember who the artist was.
Also have one of those double sided CD/DVDs for some easy listening guy.