StoneAgeGamer and Terraonion Pre-Orders for NeoSD Pro AES/MVS

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
with the overall shittiness of terraonion and the prices Darksoft's cart goes, I'll forever be stuck with the bananacart and my real MVS carts. It's not like most games worth playing aren't still accessible anyway.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I had money set aside for a NeoSD but did exactly this instead. No Regerts.
All of this is pointless anyway if you have a mister, and if you need a low-budget option just MAME it. I don't think people will give a rat's ass about owning an actual AES or MVS board in 20 years.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I did want a pro recently but with eBay prices, hell no. Then this comes available after I already spent nearly $600 on a mister that's on the way. I may just skip this since it's not slated to ship until December. I also heard the neo geo cd playback on the Pro isn't that great. Can anyone clarify?
I might have the wrong rips, but the audio suddenly gets super loud and then quiet again with the NGCD support on mine. It's basically unplayable with the audio suddenly blaring every 30 seconds.

Aside from the CD support, I like the Pro.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Misters neo core sound is still fuckled but a mister makes the most sense just because it offers more.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Really? I didn't see that, not calling you a liar just I have been keeping half an eye on it.

Fuck it all in that case. I'll probably get the SD Loader for my Neo Geo CD and emulate the rest.
I checked the thread about the carts and found this quote from Darksoft when asked about the price on Arcade Proejcts..

"Well, what do you think? Has the price of everything gone up in the last 12-18 months or has it been the same? Of course, there will be a price increase, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum."

Now, my estimate of $600-$700 could be wrong. That was my assumption due to the current NeoSD prices. Since the Darksoft cart is supposedly superior from what I've read, then technically the price could be more than the current NeoSD pro, or he could sell it cheaper but obviously with demand here, what's not to say it won't be more?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Okay that’s not so bad. They used to sell them for around $425, so they will probably go up to $475ish which is reasonable.

The darksoft cart is probably technically inferior to the terraonion product as you need to use ‘hacked’ roms with the security/piracy protection hacked out with darksoft. Plus it doesn’t have all that expensive fast loading in ram stuff that no one actually uses in the NeoSD pro or half baked NGCD support.

However, darksoft’s customer service seems alot better than terraonions, and their product should be a fair bit cheaper as it has less chips or ram than the NeoSD Pro.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Darksoft mentioned some time ago that the next batch of carts won't be cheap. Prolly $600-$700 range.

Really ? for that ?
Spoiler:

img_2241.jpg

o_O

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Its off vs my real neo geo mvs and aes. Certain pitches and bass mostly.

The furry furrtekk who wrote it needs to get back to fixing it but I doubt he will.
Just following your links, the end of this thread makes it sound like the 09/08/2021 core update fixes the issue:

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Okay that’s not so bad. They used to sell them for around $425, so they will probably go up to $475ish which is reasonable.

The darksoft cart is probably technically inferior to the terraonion product as you need to use ‘hacked’ roms with the security/piracy protection hacked out with darksoft. Plus it doesn’t have all that expensive fast loading in ram stuff that no one actually uses in the NeoSD pro or half baked NGCD support.

However, darksoft’s customer service seems alot better than terraonions, and their product should be a fair bit cheaper as it has less chips or ram than the NeoSD Pro.
I never had the chance to get Darksoft's cart. I do currently have a NeoSD from Stone Age Gamer. The guy I got it from also took an MVS shell and finessed a better slot hole for the sd card. Because of the original cart this came with, getting the sd card out is a pain in the ass. I did not know you needed special DS roms too. But, it seems to me that I don't need any of these carts since I have a non-pro one and the features don't seem to warrant the purchase. I wouldn't mind getting one to flip, but there's no way those future carts will sell for the prices that they are going for now since it will be flooded. But for those that don't have a cart and want to enjoy one, go for it.

I get my mister tomorrow. And I'm guessing the neo geo core isn't super amazing from what I heard. Not that I got it for just that though.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I asked SAG if they have an ETA and they said

The last we heard from TerraOnion about the factory doing the remaining work was they were still on schedule to get them done by the end of the month. Most likely we won't get them until the very tail end of the month if they do make it in time, otherwise they could slip to early January. If we do hear about them getting delayed past December we'll send out an email notification to everyone that ordered one before the end of the month, whenever we find out that info, otherwise you can expect them to start shipping as soon as we receive them.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
SAG just sent out an update.

TL;DR: the NeoSD orders are expected to ship in January

You are receiving this email because you have a Neo SD Pro on Pre-Order with us (either AES version, MVS version, or both). We have just gotten word from the manufacturer (TerraOnion) that while the are getting very close to being completed, they have been slightly delayed by the factory doing the final work on the pcbs. While the batch is currently in the middle of being soldered by the factory, they will be shutting the factory down just after today for a little over 2 weeks and resuming production on January 8th. They should then be resuming the work on them after that time. If all goes well, TerraOnion expects to have them assembled, completed, and then shipped out to us, before the end of January. We expect them to arrive before the tail end of January unless there are any other delays, at which time we’ll begin shipping all orders out in the order in which they were received. We do want to apologize for the extra delay, as we know that some of you have had a pre-order in for quite some time on these, and we were really hoping that they would have made it in time for Christmas, but unfortunately that wasn’t able to happen. If you have any questions, need any changes made, or need anything else, please let us know and we’d be more than happy to help. Thank you, and we hope that you have a very Happy Holiday in the meantime!

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
“We expect them to arrive before the tail end of January…” which means we won’t get them until February at the earliest.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
February it is now, according to SAG.
We are now expecting the order to be received anywhere from mid to late February. This goes for both versions, AES and MVS, however we are now being told that the MVS may end up being behind the AES by a week or 2.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Would any of you gentlemen be kind enough and willing to pass along an already converted .neo ROM set? I remember some vague discussion a set being passed around here when the NeoSD first released, and thought it might not hurt to ask. I have the ROMs already but it would definitely save me some time. I use Mac so the neoconverter program would take some messing with to get running. Of course I’d be happy to trade something in exchange aside from $$.

My cart is out for delivery today… just in time for the weekend! Send me a pm if you can help, thanks!

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Got mine in today and it is defective :( I emailed SAG about it. The RAM slot does not work for almost all games. Games come up with garbled CROM graphics, if they boot at all (most of the time they don't). Small games like Gururin seem to work fine.

And I know my SD card and the neo files are fine, because this is my second NeoSD Pro. The games work just fine in my first NeoSD using the same SD card.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Well that's some bullshit. Mine seems defective as well, or at least the SD card reader is. Upon startup, I get the message "No SD Card Present." I've tried 2 different 32GB FAT32 SD cards and neither one is recognized. It looks like @OldSchoolNeo had the same issue with his in 2022. Did you ever get that resolved? I've contacted SAG and I guess we'll see what they say.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Got mine in today and it is defective :( I emailed SAG about it. The RAM slot does not work for almost all games. Games come up with garbled CROM graphics, if they boot at all (most of the time they don't). Small games like Gururin seem to work fine.

And I know my SD card and the neo files are fine, because this is my second NeoSD Pro. The games work just fine in my first NeoSD using the same SD card.
Good thing you got it from SAG. They're usually pretty good about this. Is it the MVS or AES one? The AES one is sold out, so I wonder if they have replacements.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
SAG has indeed been great so far with my purchases. He responded pretty quickly… I’m told my Sandisk SD card may be the problem and Kingston is recommended. Fingers crossed that’s all it is. Should have a new SD card her tomorrow.