Anyone here seeing linus tech tips getting absolutely wrecked?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Keep going on bike rides.

Beef
Xenia has like 5 bike trails so, I definitely have options. I have been riding one lately that's about 18 miles, one way. A few of them are a bit dangerous when you have to cross the road and one has a homeless dude that likes to sleep on the trails so, I try to avoid those.

Jon

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Youtube has a lot of really high quality content as long as you stay in the right lanes. There's shit tons of great documentaries and informative channels. Unfortunately like any other service that anybody can use there's way more crap. That's where you get wanna be entertainers, clout chasers and other parasites etc. Then there's the whole Youtuber drama sub culture and the really shady side of YT children's content. There's an incredible amount of junk.

I feel bad for young people growing up and watching garbage YT "personalities" thinking that stuff is actual content.

BeefJerky

Actual Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Xenia has like 5 bike trails so, I definitely have options. I have been riding one lately that's about 18 miles, one way. A few of them are a bit dangerous when you have to cross the road and one has a homeless dude that likes to sleep on the trails so, I try to avoid those.

Jon

Sounds like you guys have more bike trails than we do in Pittsburgh. Most of the bike infrastructure here is shared with some of the worst drivers I've seen having lived all over the US. lol

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Last edited:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
He always seemed like kind of a douchecanoe but I don't particularly care that he fucked up a review or was kind of mean to an employee. The internet (and social media in particular) is such a circular firing squad and has zero fucking empathy. Like maybe I'd have stronger feelings about it if I gave two shits about his channel (or Youtubers in general) but mostly I'm just disgusted by how eager everyone is to destroy peoples' lives.
Guy seemed like a fucking big old cunt! Hopefully this ruins him to the ground and the cunts viewership. To reinstate massive cunt!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hey now. YouTube is a fantastic platform. The only problem with it is the fact that dummies assumed they could make a living off of it. That’s caused all sorts of bullshit like clickbait, constipation face thumbnails and other “best practices.”

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Yooooooo!

Good on you for cutting the cord. Bike rides are awesome if you happen to live somewhere where you're not likely to get run down by an aggressive and/or distracted driver. I do at the moment and it sucks.

Never been too big on Youtube aside from the occasional bits of concert footage of smalltime bands pre-2010, or more recently, help with math or physics homework. Every fucking platform has those "recommended for you" algorithms these days so there's really no escape from them. They're designed to keep people sucked in. At least you're making an attempt to get away from it and do things that aren't doom scrolling and gluing yourself to your phone like a zombie.

Never heard of Linus either and this thread makes me glad I haven't. Keep going on bike rides.

Beef
boomer

• Wow
Reactions: wyo

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Top 10 Moments of Seinfeld according to fake - you WON'T believe what's number 1!
That’s kinda what I mean though. YouTube over the years has tracked what gets clicks and watch time and has a whole learning thing to follow for people that want to “get big on YouTube.” It’s led to homogenized trash content. Same goes for blogs. They have specific readability formatting they boost. that makes all blog posts about a specific topic into the same garbage with minimal variation. As much as Google has evolved the internet, they’ve also homogenized it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
They are constantly curating what shows up in Recommended for you and, it makes it hard to stop watching.
Yeah. I've gotten to where i'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have to stop watching and wait a week for new videos to get added.

That’s kinda what I mean though. YouTube over the years has tracked what gets clicks and watch time and has a whole learning thing to follow for people that want to “get big on YouTube.” It’s led to homogenized trash content. Same goes for blogs. They have specific readability formatting they boost. that makes all blog posts about a specific topic into the same garbage with minimal variation. As much as Google has evolved the internet, they’ve also homogenized it.
Yeah, their algorithm needs some tweaking to incentivize new creators and discourage awful thumbnails.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I always use a Pi hole at home. It's a solid percentage off the top for every device without any apps needed on anything using your wifi. Weather apps are the worst; it's in the top 10 list. My wife always notices when we are away from home that her weather app has so many ads without the pihole that it looks completely different. Some streaming sites take the dns black hole as an actual issue with their ad and skip the ad. It's not 100 percent by any means but it's nice. Point your router to it for dns and anything on your LAN/wifi is good to go.

Screenshot_20230820_014110_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230820_014202_Chrome.jpg

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
The gist of it is, the guy's review wasn't that great? Is that it?
im gonna guess this is overblown and just people trying to pile on and virtue signal. It's like when a comedian gets too big, everyone pretends they never liked them. All of sudden everyone has always found Linus annoying and "i never really watch their stuff anyways".
sure... yur cool.
Problem is that LMG/LTT has been heavily investing in their "labs" and are acting as if their testing is going to become the gold standard. False information can easily lead to people spending a shit ton of money on the wrong product. Thanks to YouTube's algorithm and Google's paid for / manipulated search results finding good info is getting harder and harder. For many people downright impossible.

LTT has turned to shit ever since Luke left. I sometimes have the WAN show on as backround noise. Otherwise I'm only interested when Alex builds something.

I was shocked when I heard that they hired Madison. However, I tend to believe her. IMO, that "put your big girl pants on", "calm your tits" and calling her work "dogshit" is 100% something that James would say. That pos is a total sociopath. She said that the verbal abuse came from the higher ups and James is head of writing, so that would make sense to me.

Also, Gamers Nexus' video was no attack, it was a wakeup call. Linus' first reaction (the forum post) was dumb and it was only labeled as "drama" or "controversial" by wothless outlets who have nothing better to say/write and wanted to profit off of the situation.
YouTube starts to get to know you and what you like to watch. They are constantly curating what shows up in Recommended for you and, it makes it hard to stop watching.
Android (both also on F-Droid):
NewPipe
LibreTube

PC:
FreeTube

Alternative for those on iOS:
Piped
Invidious

Another benefit is that people you don't like aren't making money from you watching their content. They don't get clicks, you don't have to watch ads and Google has a much harder time spying on you.
Bike rides are awesome ...
They are. Here's one from Steve's 2nd channel:

Video ID: wKl2JbbnDrI

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Wow, didn’t know that.

What’s with all the hefty boys going trans?
calling jim sterling a tranny is like calling fami a well adjusted, hard working human being

for jim its just another step in his overall degerancy, a way to live out his kink since being a "tranny" (or in his case a crossdresser) is almost acceptable these days

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Problem is that LMG/LTT has been heavily investing in their "labs" and are acting as if their testing is going to become the gold standard. False information can easily lead to people spending a shit ton of money on the wrong product. Thanks to YouTube's algorithm and Google's paid for / manipulated search results finding good info is getting harder and harder. For many people downright impossible.

LTT has turned to shit ever since Luke left. I sometimes have the WAN show on as backround noise. Otherwise I'm only interested when Alex builds something.

I was shocked when I heard that they hired Madison. However, I tend to believe her. IMO, that "put your big girl pants on", "calm your tits" and calling her work "dogshit" is 100% something that James would say. That pos is a total sociopath. She said that the verbal abuse came from the higher ups and James is head of writing, so that would make sense to me.

Also, Gamers Nexus' video was no attack, it was a wakeup call. Linus' first reaction (the forum post) was dumb and it was only labeled as "drama" or "controversial" by wothless outlets who have nothing better to say/write and wanted to profit off of the situation.

Android (both also on F-Droid):
NewPipe
LibreTube

PC:
FreeTube

Alternative for those on iOS:
Piped
Invidious

Another benefit is that people you don't like aren't making money from you watching their content. They don't get clicks, you don't have to watch ads and Google has a much harder time spying on you.

They are. Here's one from Steve's 2nd channel:

Video ID: wKl2JbbnDrI
Linus knows what he's talking about on most computer-related things. But, like other YT reviewers, you have to take it with a grain of salt, or you could say, adapt the knowledge to your own situation/needs. A lot of his videos focus on cutting edge or overkill computer technology, which most people don't need. And his videos are sometimes out-of date (somewhat) by the time you watch them, as things move so fast with technology.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Linus knows what he's talking about on most computer-related things. But, like other YT reviewers, you have to take it with a grain of salt, or you could say, adapt the knowledge to your own situation/needs. A lot of his videos focus on cutting edge or overkill computer technology, which most people don't need. And his videos are sometimes out-of date (somewhat) by the time you watch them, as things move so fast with technology.
joe...he plugs in computer parts into designated spots. he doesn't know shit. in the real world, his skillset is slightly above minimum wage level. why anyone would want to listen to him in the background, i don't know.