So how many of you goobs own NGH/AES games?

do you own NGH/AES games/system/etc?

• Total voters

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I bought the shittest most battered cracked AES system from these forums in 2003. I picked up some cheap games and then sold it all in 2008 ish.

Then in 2017 I got a CDZ, thinking I could replay my favourite Neo games on the cheap. The thing is though, those load times even on a CDZ are massively frustrating after you’ve become used to modern consoles in recent years.

I bought a AES in 2022, got it UniBios modded, and now I own about 25 AES games. A number are cart only, some are conversions (e.g. Metal Slug, Aerofighters 3).

I also recently bought a Neo Geo CD Front loader so I can go full retard with the SD loader which I’ll probably only use twice.

No doubt I will eventually sell all of this shit and get a MiSTER one day, but for now I’ll rub my balls on my collection once a day as per goob tradition.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I did this. Got rid of my entire gaming collection except my homecarts. No regrets. I'd regret selling them though, I dunno there's just something about the neo.
Yep, neo stuff is the only physical games I own

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've yoyo'ed quite a few times over the years and have been out now for a couple. Can't see myself going back now.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I've had a Neo in some form since 1998, with my first purchase being a NGH/AES in January 1998. Even after my fire sale a couple months back I still have over 40 Neo home carts and a hand full of MVS games.

More or less, I've kept all the games that I know I would buy back if I sold them and got rid of the rest - both Neo and other consoles.

My career and other hobbies/interests take the majority of my free time these days. I'm much more active and outgoing now in my 40s than I used to be in my 20s and 30s. "Getting out" of collecting, but not gaming, has done me a world of good this year.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I once considered buying some empty boxes so I can pretend I own some games.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
... Can't believe I'm going to bother entertaining this, but whatever...

So, from the very late 90s thru to about 2004 and I get very heavy into homecart collecting, and was, foolishly, set on getting a complete Japanese AES collection. Then as I realized I was at the point where I was buying games I didn't want to play just to sit on a shelf (some of which were expensive back then, let alone now), I decided to sell up.

I think I was 10 games short of the lot up to the point of the release of Sam Sho V (which I did buy), and there have only ever been 8 offiical AES games I've never owned (at some point).

Couple of years later I bought a cab and an MVS mobo, but didn't enjoy it as much.

After the cab went I got my hands on a Sigma supergun (for pcbs mainly), but MVS still didn't really do it for me, so didn't get very far with that.

Inbetween those I also played Neo on Wii, Xbox 360, PS2... none of which I found particualrly satisfactory.

Eventually, to give into my fondness for SNK I decided to get back into the Neo Geo CD both for gaming and as a hobby - I have a complete CD collection (yes there's plenty of the games I don't play because I don't like them) and lots of official merch and hardware... it is my only real vice.

Still, the thing with Neo CD is, that even as a die hard fan of the system, there are a handful of games that either aren't on it, or the ports are too much of a compromise for me due to hardware limitations.

So, I decided, that if I could get a set of AES games I wanted to play, for reasonable money, then I'd go that way to supplement the CD collection.

Now I have 30 carts, nearly all beat 'em ups, and about three of those games are "high roller" carts - two of which were bought for considerably less than the average going rate, and one slightly under. There's two more games to cross off the list, one of which will run me 4 figures if and when I find it.

I don't condone the high prices some of these games now fetch, I don't see owning them as some kind of badge of status, and I certainly don't condone buying them at any price for them to just sit on a shelf and never get played.

TLDR: Don't tell me how to spend my money and I won't tell you how to spend yours.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I’ve never owned a Neo Geo. I played Metal Slug a couple of times in the arcade back in the day. If I’m honest, I’m not sure what I have been doing on this forum the past decade or so?

I WISH I NEVER FOOOOUUUNNND THIS PLACE!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I sure took my sweet ass time to move from the Neo Geo CD to the point where the home system did not make any sense to own anymore. Couldn't been happier with my "chinese special" board for MVS games though.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
... Can't believe I'm going to bother entertaining this, but whatever...

So, from the very late 90s thru to about 2004 and I get very heavy into homecart collecting, and was, foolishly, set on getting a complete Japanese AES collection. Then as I realized I was at the point where I was buying games I didn't want to play just to sit on a shelf (some of which were expensive back then, let alone now), I decided to sell up.

I think I was 10 games short of the lot up to the point of the release of Sam Sho V (which I did buy), and there have only ever been 8 offiical AES games I've never owned (at some point).

Couple of years later I bought a cab and an MVS mobo, but didn't enjoy it as much.

After the cab went I got my hands on a Sigma supergun (for pcbs mainly), but MVS still didn't really do it for me, so didn't get very far with that.

Inbetween those I also played Neo on Wii, Xbox 360, PS2... none of which I found particualrly satisfactory.

Eventually, to give into my fondness for SNK I decided to get back into the Neo Geo CD both for gaming and as a hobby - I have a complete CD collection (yes there's plenty of the games I don't play because I don't like them) and lots of official merch and hardware... it is my only real vice.

Still, the thing with Neo CD is, that even as a die hard fan of the system, there are a handful of games that either aren't on it, or the ports are too much of a compromise for me due to hardware limitations.

So, I decided, that if I could get a set of AES games I wanted to play, for reasonable money, then I'd go that way to supplement the CD collection.

Now I have 30 carts, nearly all beat 'em ups, and about three of those games are "high roller" carts - two of which were bought for considerably less than the average going rate, and one slightly under. There's two more games to cross off the list, one of which will run me 4 figures if and when I find it.

I don't condone the high prices some of these games now fetch, I don't see owning them as some kind of badge of status, and I certainly don't condone buying them at any price for them to just sit on a shelf and never get played.

TLDR: Don't tell me how to spend my money and I won't tell you how to spend yours.

I think your perspective here is important, Tarma. Thanks for sharing.

Like you, me, and a few others on here, we all have dipped in and out of the home cart market over the last couple decades - and we've all landed right back where we began for one reason or another.

We are the oldest dedicated community of SNK fans still around, and one of the oldest video game communities still in existence on the web. In all seriousness, I feel our stories and experiences are worth documenting. We can track our journey over literal decades of conversation and sales threads - I mean, that's kinda cool.

::mumbles something about goobers or what not::

I was really close to selling my AES recently, just a few weeks ago.. I got it out of the loft to post it, played some Last Blade and now IM BACK BABY
(felt bad refunding the person on eBay and apologised but they understood the pain of letting it go. I just couldn’t do it.)

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I was really close to selling my AES recently, just a few weeks ago.. I got it out of the loft to post it, played some Last Blade and now IM BACK BABY
(felt bad refunding the person on eBay and apologised but they understood the pain of letting it go. I just couldn’t do it.)
are you an actual DJ or are you a DJ that opens a skate and tattoo shop that tears his bicep rotating a monitor?

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Todays trend is no one wants to admit what they spent on any “ retro “ game.

I’ve bought and sold but I keep coming back because I love collecting. I like the people
I meet along the way as well.

MiSTer made me want to own the games I actually really love instead of a bunch of carts I won’t ever play.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
If you could decide before listing it on eBay and actually selling it that would be great. Only 12yr olds do that

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
By his own request, I might add.
I wondered what happened to him.

Anyways, no home carts, too rich for my blood. Have two MVS cabs and one has a NeoSD Pro in it. I'm good on buying carts for as long as that works.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I had 64 at one point. Now I have 3.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I wondered what happened to him.

Not sure, back then he felt that his presence here would fuck with his job and family life, that's why he asked me to make his account inaccessible and change his username to something random.