What is the best Fatal Fury game?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Heh time to piss people off (well especially Fran).

MOTW is my favorite Fatal Fury game, but since you want to exclude that then my picks go as follows:

Real Bout 2
Real Bout Special
Real Bout 1

Sorry, I can't STAND Fatal Fury Special. I remember playing it in the arcades back when SF2 was the king, and I thought it sucked then and I think it still sucks now. Why you ask? The controls are horrible, it plays ungodly slow, and SF2 was about 3249328754091328571023894613289476123859714236534285 times better. :p

Controls are also what really takes a lot of the fun out of Fatal Fury 3. It just isn't all that great, the main problem here comes again from the controls and the play speed, the game also feels well "clunky" because of the speed and how they move.

Yeah the BG's are nice in these games, but honestly I never understood why people cared about BG's so much when its the fighters that really make the game.

Fatal Fury became playable with the release of Real Bout 1 IMO.

Flame away. :p

JHendrix

Lou Gojira:
What is it about RB2 that turns people away from it? Thing is, it's not my favorite Real Bout either. I always figured it was because the backgrounds looked a bit rushed and second rate, plus the lack of win poses on the first round. But then, I'm a graphics whore and obviously this reason doesn't hold up for the rest of you guys.

So why the disdain for RB2?
Real Bout 2 is awesome because of the speed! It plays faster, the controls are tight and it's got a crazy combo system. What more do you need?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
ffSPECIAL is a masterpiece.then we skip all the way up to RB2 and squint to see MOTW and catch a knap :)
-BB

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Lou Gojira:
What is it about RB2 that turns people away from it? Thing is, it's not my favorite Real Bout either. I always figured it was because the backgrounds looked a bit rushed and second rate, plus the lack of win poses on the first round. But then, I'm a graphics whore and obviously this reason doesn't hold up for the rest of you guys.

A lot of people don't like RB2 because of the following:

* No win poses/quotes afterwards, just rushes into the next match
* Some animation lost
* Some moves come out different
* Some combos have been changed
* Line system changed

I, however, love it. It plays fast, your blood doesn't get a chance to cool off, you're in there going at it one right after another. I love the combos, the specials, everything. It's a pure fighter in every sense of the word. I love how it's based more on just 1 line with sliding back and forth, but not staying there. This makes for some very cool combos and strategies. Still though, some people like and some don't, nothing to get all pissed about. That is, unless people talk shit on FFS. Then it's time to bring out the cavalry :D

JHendrix

SonGohan:
Lou Gojira:

A lot of people don't like RB2 because of the following:

* No win poses/quotes afterwards, just rushes into the next match
* Some animation lost
* Some moves come out different
* Some combos have been changed
* Line system changed

I, however, love it. It plays fast, your blood doesn't get a chance to cool off, you're in there going at it one right after another. I love the combos, the specials, everything. It's a pure fighter in every sense of the word. I love how it's based more on just 1 line with sliding back and forth, but not staying there. This makes for some very cool combos and strategies. Still though, some people like and some don't, nothing to get all pissed about. That is, unless people talk shit on FFS. Then it's time to bring out the cavalry :D
*sigh* the one person I didn't want to piss off.

I hate FFS and love RB2, bring your calvary. :p

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Fran:
ffs
amazing game
amazing bgs,music,roster etc etc
a shame you stay in the air for like 3 seconds when you jump

rb1
a timeless classic

ff3
another classic,
meant to be played alone though
for the art,the story,the beautiful visuals etc

rbs
again,great sprites,art,animations and so on
i find it rather boring in vs
i mean
at the end of the day
they all share the same combo

rb2
i hate it
i cannot stand rb2

so get rb1,ffs and ff3

in that order
I agree with Fran's choices 100%.

RB2, while it looks great, has uninspired BGs and no story.

I had it and felt very little remorse when I sold it.

JHendrix

neobuyer:
Fran:
ffs
amazing game
amazing bgs,music,roster etc etc
a shame you stay in the air for like 3 seconds when you jump

rb1
a timeless classic

ff3
another classic,
meant to be played alone though
for the art,the story,the beautiful visuals etc

rbs
again,great sprites,art,animations and so on
i find it rather boring in vs
i mean
at the end of the day
they all share the same combo

rb2
i hate it
i cannot stand rb2

so get rb1,ffs and ff3

in that order
I agree with Fran's choices 100%.

RB2, while it looks great, has uninspired BGs and no story.

I had it and felt very little remorse when I sold it.
See I could care less about the story and BG's, I just want a fun fighter more than anything else.

Ehh, to each his own I guess.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
FFS would be on top.

That game is just nothing but quality all around, featuring an incredible cast of characters with great BG's and music.

(Krausers Stage is sex)

FFS is nothing but class.

Honorable Mention goes to RB2, but not for the same reasons as FFS.

I agree with the flaws some said about RB2 and the lack of quality BG's and no story, but the gameplay is just an utter blast to play. Some people may not dig the combo and game system, but I feel that when played right, it can be one of the fastest paced and most enjoyable fighters on the Neo.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
JHendrix:
See I could care less about the story and BG's, I just want a fun fighter more than anything else.

Ehh, to each his own I guess.
Sigh annoyed

I know that while it's been ages since I've chided you on your sense of aesthetics, I can't help it, I must continue.

C'mon, a LOT of games are fun. Alot of games play well. See- the great fighting games are more than just 'fun'. They are a total package. They are special.

Backgrounds and the little briliant touches that pull the whole package together make for terrific, classic games.

Aren't you the guy (Sorry if I'm wrong on this, my memory isn't perfect) that said Capcom Vs. SNK 2 is like, the greatest fighting game of all time? Or at least your favorite?

I mean, if so, that's wrong in so many ways I almost have to vomit. CvsSNK2 is such a crappy, ugly game it defies even the most articulate and erudite gamer's descriptions.

Look, like I said- RB2 looks good in the animation dept. (i.e.: Rick), and it plays fairly well, but it's pretty much an incomplete game. Bad BGs (which, admittedly, you don't care about- but then again you seemed to really like Guilty Gear X's BGs annoyed ) It has no story, no decent endings and overall plays and feels like an incomplete game- some sort of unfinished beta tester cart.

It can never be a classic.

It's like the game where SNKs designers really cut their teeth in trying to push the MVS hardware into the MOTW period. They got so caught up in animating Rick's stupid dreadlocks that they ran out of time for like, all of the other little things that make SNK fighters so special.

Ah, forget it, I'd be better off trying to convince Billy Graham Jr. to embrace the spiritual teachings of Alistaire Crowley for christsakes.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
RB2&Special have to be the best. MOTW, well, I'm growing to like it, but it still doesn't do "it" for me yet.

The rest of them... eh.... I could take them or leave them, nothing spectacular.

Real Bout 2 -- Fast, fighting, gaming... goodness.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
How anyone can say SF2 has better control AND speed than FFS is a complete mystery to me. The characters are WAY more original and have WAY more personality. On top of that the control is better than most of TODAY'S fighting games!

Oh well, I guess if we all agreed on everything this site would be pretty boring. :D

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
JHendrix:
SonGohan:
JHendrix:
SonGohan:
JHendrix:
Maybe if it was in higher res you'd like it loco
Probably, that and if Krauser wasn't gay.
Maybe his sexual preference changes in 3D.
I donno man, anyone with that kind of armor is definitely smoking some pole.
Yeah but it's high res 3D pole, and that's all that counts shame

JHendrix

SonGohan:
JHendrix:
SonGohan:
JHendrix:
SonGohan:
JHendrix:
Maybe if it was in higher res you'd like it loco
Probably, that and if Krauser wasn't gay.
Maybe his sexual preference changes in 3D.
I donno man, anyone with that kind of armor is definitely smoking some pole.
Yeah but it's high res 3D pole, and that's all that counts shame
That would mean if Terry hit him with a Power Geyser it would be the most disgusting thing evar... oh_no

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Fatal Fury Special is great, but it doesn't stand a chance against almighty Street Fighter 2, the game that began it all. All 2-D fighting games released after it are only pale copies (yeah, I'm including all neo games and the sequels of SF).

I do agree FF3 is the best but only for playing alone.

I still don't see what all of you find that great about MOTW, other than nice animations and graphics.

I like RBS much more than RB2, that is just a copy of it with some slight changes. RB1 is also very good, I don't know which one to pick between RB and RBS.

For the record, I have ALL the FF games for MVS so I have played and know them ALL.

And by the way, Cap vs SNK 2 is not that bad at all, you can still have some fun with it.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
RB2 for balance
RBS for the announcer, combos and pre-fight animations
RB1 for the ring outs

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
no love for rb2.
i like it lots. but not for its system as so
much for rick and xiangfei.
some of my favorite characters in the SNK catalog.
the plane combos are good i guess.
going from rbs to rb2 there are some
steps down but none that ever really detered me.
i like alot of the presentation. the one thing
that reeeeeally bugs me is the one win pose and
no win qoutes. i think theres win qoutes when
you play 2p? wtf. for some reason the game feels
incomplete but its a favorite nonetheless.
my favorite?
ffs no two ways.
i remember the first time seeing someone play it
after playing ff2 all the time.
and then seeing a guy at a store playing a NEO
and playing FFS.
o shit! a black axel hawk!
fuck. thats some cool ass shit.
played that mother in the arcade all the time.
who gives a fuck about super street fighter?
;P

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: rarehero ]</small>

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
The best "Fatal Fury-Game" besides "Mark of the Wolves"???

I´ll go for RB2! It´s a little bit different, but give it some more tries! After you´ll master the handling, you´ll see the whole potential of this game with your own eyes!

The same happened to me... :rolleyes:

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
BTW, i love "Fatal Fury Special", one of the best Old-Fighters around, besides "Art of Fighting 2"... :)

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Ah, forget it, I'd be better off trying to convince Billy Graham Jr. to embrace the spiritual teachings of Alistaire Crowley for christsakes.
lol Potential sig material if I ever saw it!

I just got through playing Real Bout 2, and then threw in the first Real Bout, and I have to agree with neobuyer. By comparison, RB2 looks very incomplete. While some of the backgrounds are kinda' purty, compared to Real Bout 1's they look like work from unseasoned artists warming up to Neo hardware.

I'm not knocking you guys' opinions who happen to prefer RB2 to the rest, but it finally makes sense why this game never really felt right to me.

Another thing I noticed; Did the characters get their moves powered down as the Real Bout series progressed? Perhaps this was done so people would rely less on special moves and concentrate on perfecting combo's.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Lou Gojira:
I just got through playing Real Bout 2, and then threw in the first Real Bout, and I have to agree with neobuyer. By comparison, RB2 looks very incomplete.
Yeah,

And you know what? I was like, totally into RBFF2 before I actually bought it and spent some quality time with it.

After playing in the arcade, I was like, yeah it seems great! But after a couple weeks I just kept feeling unsatisfied when I'd play it. I kind of felt all "Huh? WTF?" too, because I thought I liked it, but, by week 3, I just left it on the shelf and played RB 1.

The sad thing is, with maybe 2 more months in development, it could have been a whole different story.

I mean, the meat is there, it's just that everything else is lacking. A shame really.

SNK should have finished it for real.