Anyone here seeing linus tech tips getting absolutely wrecked?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm sorry if this has been discussed here already, but gamers nexus has completely shit all over LTT and I was assuming you guys were gonna discuss it amongst yourselves. Did I miss the post on here?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Nah, I was waiting for someone else to make the thread. They've definitely bit off more than they could chew. I remember watching LTT in the late 2000s / early 2010s, so to see what he has built is impressive, but this is yet another example of money turning someone into a dickhead. Apparently fans of the channel are Manson-level about him, too.

I feel bad for that employee who came forward the other day – I'm sure she was abused – but she shouldn't have started out with "Oh, work was so hard I had to do two tweets, two instagrams, and two tiktoks a day!" Bruh.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I google'd the controversy last night and I am still confused at all the outrage.

The gist of it is, the guy's review wasn't that great? Is that it?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
I google'd the controversy last night and I am still confused at all the outrage.

The gist of it is, the guy's review wasn't that great? Is that it?
they made mistakes in their reviews and refuse to retract or correct their mistakes because it would cost them another $500 dollars in labor hours to update their review - they are a multi-million dollar company now. they also agreed to return a prototype thing after the review but he ended up raffling it away...and it's a small start up company that needed it back.

linus is a shithead anyway. none of the stuff they do is special. dime a dozen. i hope he gets fucked.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
He always seemed like kind of a douchecanoe but I don't particularly care that he fucked up a review or was kind of mean to an employee. The internet (and social media in particular) is such a circular firing squad and has zero fucking empathy. Like maybe I'd have stronger feelings about it if I gave two shits about his channel (or Youtubers in general) but mostly I'm just disgusted by how eager everyone is to destroy peoples' lives.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
He always seemed like kind of a douchecanoe but I don't particularly care that he fucked up a review or was kind of mean to an employee. The internet (and social media in particular) is such a circular firing squad and has zero fucking empathy. Like maybe I'd have stronger feelings about it if I gave two shits about his channel (or Youtubers in general) but mostly I'm just disgusted by how eager everyone is to destroy peoples' lives.
if it makes any difference, these were new/small boutique companies. with the amount of pull linus has, he can basically crush their business. this wasn't big box items from global manufacturers he was reviewing. i'd assume he's a bit more cavalier with these small guys because the big guys can shut him out of sneak previews, events, sponsorship money, etc. i don't give a fuck about him or youtubers either...but i don't like double standards.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
AMD EPYC 9654

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
they made mistakes in their reviews and refuse to retract or correct their mistakes because it would cost them another $500 dollars in labor hours to update their review - they are a multi-million dollar company now. they also agreed to return a prototype thing after the review but he ended up raffling it away...and it's a small start up company that needed it back.

linus is a shithead anyway. none of the stuff they do is special. dime a dozen. i hope he gets fucked.

@LoneSage one thing to note also is that Linus Tech Tips presents itself as “not just another soulless corporation” - they don’t appear to preach the “we’re family” bullshit, but rather a fun cool place to work with fair to good compensation - but with these accusations appear to indicate they’re really just another faceless corporation lol. People are mad they’ve seen how the sausage is made.

I agree with 100proof though. People just want drama. They see a guy they don’t care for personally and love to see the sharks circle at every imperfection or petty mistake.

That doesn’t mean LTT should not fix their shit if they have factually inaccurate reviews. It’s not a big deal to correct something. Real journalists do it all the time because they have an ethical duty to do so.

There are sexual harassment claims also but I haven’t looked in to them. I thought Canada has strong employment laws around shit like this.

I watched a lot of LTT during the pandemic but I’ve cooled on my interest in the channel (along with other tech channels) - it’s just too “YouTube” for me if that makes sense (I understand that’s how you drive views and revenue but…it’s just ugh.)

The takeaway from the situation is that people suck.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The test is who didn't know who any of these people were and also built a computer in the last ten years.

It's not drama I'm going to follow. The main point I took from it is there's lack of rigor in their work because they're trying to maintain a schedule of 100 uploads a week.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I do not know wtf this is. I think I've seen the channel show up on Youtube before.

deviljin102

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Literally checking out Nexus' video about this issue.

I told my friend about it and he said "Geek Beef" lol.

But hey, something like this was bound to happen right?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There's some guy the kids watch on Youtube who has his own chain of ghost kitchens.

High subscriber Youtube channels are weird af.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The news says I should care. I'm trying to care but I don't. I guess this is for PC gaming dorks?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The new says I should care. I'm trying to care but I don't. I guess this is for PC gaming dorks?
You need to fall in line and start caring about what everyone is supposed to be caring about.

I mean, you might lose at bar trivia or something.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Linus is a goof.
Gaming nexus is very thorough ... perhaps too thorough...

There's money in it, so there be some drama - but most of the points of the points of contention are mind numbingly boring :D

The only interesting thing is the Linus side might be in a bit of hot water when it comes to anti-trust/shilling... which could give pause for concern for some of their larger partners... but people have done far worse too...

Both will continue to co-exist perfectly happily.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You need to fall in line and start caring about what everyone is supposed to be caring about.

I mean, you might lose at bar trivia or something.

Hey man... bar trivia is serious bzns. "My Couch Pulls Out But I Don't" consistently wins the $50 gift card to O'Houlihans.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
giphy.gif