XFL Thread 2018-2019

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
AFL is basically dead. Gladiators suspended play and Tampa folded. Only four teams this season, one is an expansion and half the teams play in the same metro area and have the same owner.

I'm aware. And this certainly won't help matters at all.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I'm aware. And this certainly won't help matters at all.

I didn’t think anybody west of the Mississippi cared about the Arena Football League after the 2016 season.

AFL is more unstable than the NLL.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I didn’t think anybody west of the Mississippi cared about the Arena Football League after the 2016 season.

AFL is more unstable than the NLL.

Oh, easily.

The NLL is actually doing better than it ever has right now. They have Comcast bringing back the Philadelphia Wings and the owner of the Ali Baba Group putting a team in San Diego. So that will be at least 6/11 teams owned by multibillionaires (Colorado, Buffalo, Calgary, Philly, San Diego, New England). And there is heavy speculation about teams in Dallas, New York, Halifax, Edmonton, and a few other places.

As for the AFL, I still watch games but I don't follow it religiously like I did when the Crush were around. It's still a great sport, too bad it's run by idiots.

The CFL is a really great game too. I've been watching the Bombers for over ten years now.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Fucking skycam was the worst thing that came out of XFL1 and made its way to the NFL. I will watch XFL2 though, will it be on Spike TV?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fucking skycam was the worst thing that came out of XFL1 and made its way to the NFL. I will watch XFL2 though, will it be on Spike TV?

They don't have any media deals yet.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Except for one team...the Arizona Rattlers. They were the only West team left and knew about the instability of the AFL when Orlando quit over the lack of teams and Jacksonville left and formed their own league with 5 other teams. Rattlers moved to the IFL, took the title from 6 time defending champion Wichita Falls which tried to leave the IFL but was forced back due to a lawsuit.

Now Arizona is the only West team again after Spokane and Utah left the IFL to form yet another new league. The whole concept of indoor football is extremely unstable but it'll probably survive longer than the XFL.

They don't have any media deals yet.
This will be very crucial. What network dare take a chance with a once failed league. NBC was in only because they no longer had the NFL and were desperate to get any type of pro football on their airwaves.

ESPN had been showing CFL games and some of those games, especially the Grey Cup were fun as hell to watch. I still remember the USFL, WLAF which eventually morphed into NFL Europa but against the NFL, they are all but a memory.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Did any of y’all watch UFL or FXFL? I missed most UFL games, but I did catch nearly every FXFL game on ESPN3 in its second season.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member

Spike TV croaked and turned into the Paramount Channel last week, looks like they want to do something different.

Do people really want to watch more football after the nfl season ends?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Spike TV croaked and turned into the Paramount Channel last week, looks like they want to do something different.

Do people really want to watch more football after the nfl season ends?
I envy those who lived in the early to mid 80s and got to see the USFL. That was a league that had potential. The talent was very good (Jim Kelly, Reggie White, Steve Young), but they expanded too soon and wanted to switch from a Spring schedule to Fall schedule.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Did any of y’all watch UFL or FXFL? I missed most UFL games, but I did catch nearly every FXFL game on ESPN3 in its second season.

I watched the UFL. It was pretty meh.

Anyone interested in an alternative football league should just watch the CFL, in all honesty.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i like the idea of a competing league. im pretty done with the nfl as it is. hopefully they can get some traction.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I watched the UFL. It was pretty meh.

Anyone interested in an alternative football league should just watch the CFL, in all honesty.

Yep, I love the CFL. I follow Le Rouge et Noir d’Ottawa and the Argos. I wish Windsor got a team, that would be my home team if they did.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yep, I love the CFL. I follow Le Rouge et Noir d’Ottawa and the Argos. I wish Windsor got a team, that would be my home team if they did.

id be more for the cfl if they weren't running players on tiny salaries with handshake deals then reigning on them.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I would bet they don't put another team in Ontario any time soon. Ottawa, Hamilton, and Toronto are enough.

Halifax or Quebec City would probably be the only cities large enough to support another team.

famicommander

15 Year Member
id be more for the cfl if they weren't running players on tiny salaries with handshake deals then reigning on them.

They pay way better than any other league besides the NFL, and that will likely include the XFL. The leagues who try to pay players more than the CFL always fold. WFL, NFL Europe, USFL, UFL, etc.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I would bet they don't put another team in Ontario any time soon. Ottawa, Hamilton, and Toronto are enough.

Halifax or Quebec City would probably be the only cities large enough to support another team.

Initially the CFL was interested a few years back in having a Windsor team play at Ford Field in Detroit. I believe the deal fell apart though. I also heard something about Rochester, NY in the rumor mill during the same time period. I honestly wish St. Louis would be considered for a CFL expandion, but it seems that CFL no longer wishes to have USA expansion teams ever again.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Vince is delusional. The XFL didn't fail because the trucks went out or because it was crass. The XFL failed for the same reason every other competitor to a deeply-entrenched sports league has always failed: in the long run, no one wants to watch a substandard game played by substandard players. So while the Trump crotchsniffers are all excited that they can start their own football league with blackjack and hookers, they may want to look up the history of the USFL and see what happened the last time their "god emperor" tried to take on the NFL.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Vince is delusional. The XFL didn't fail because the trucks went out or because it was crass. The XFL failed for the same reason every other competitor to a deeply-entrenched sports league has always failed: in the long run, no one wants to watch a substandard game played by substandard players. So while the Trump crotchsniffers are all excited that they can start their own football league with blackjack and hookers, they may want to look up the history of the USFL and see what happened the last time their "god emperor" tried to take on the NFL.
In some cases you can compete well enough to force a partial or complete merger. The NBA absorbed four ABA teams (Nuggets, Spurs, Pacers, Nets), the NHL absorbed four WHA teams (Nordiques, Jets, Whalers, Oilers), and the NFL absorbed the entire AFL (Broncos, Bills, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Oilers). Granted this was the 1960s and 1970s but it has happened.

But that ain't happening this time.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

I was reading about that last night. Wasn't really too shock about Trump's little scheme to move the USFL to the fall, compete against the NFL to a point where they'd accept a merger and those team owners would become rich. As with most get-rich-quick methods, it not only failed but never really had any chance of succeeding.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
They pay way better than any other league besides the NFL, and that will likely include the XFL. The leagues who try to pay players more than the CFL always fold. WFL, NFL Europe, USFL, UFL, etc.

nothing like getting $60k for a season then having to pay income tax in the us and canada while having no medical protections.

famicommander

15 Year Member
nothing like getting $60k for a season then having to pay income tax in the us and canada while having no medical protections.
But it's a legitimate league which puts you in front of every NFL scout, millions of fans, and isn't going to fold inside of three years like all these other leagues.

As of now, the next best alternative to the CFL is a four team AFL where guys don't make $1,000 per game anymore. Either that or one of the alphabet soup minor indoor leagues where guys make $300 bucks per game and have to pay their own way for travel.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
But it's a legitimate league which puts you in front of every NFL scout, millions of fans, and isn't going to fold inside of three years like all these other leagues.

As of now, the next best alternative to the CFL is a four team AFL where guys don't make $1,000 per game anymore. Either that or one of the alphabet soup minor indoor leagues where guys make $300 bucks per game and have to pay their own way for travel.
I respect those IFL players, sounds like they are more so playing for the love of the game.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
IFL Players make a base $250 per game for 14 games. Obviously starters make more but not too much more. Though the Arizona Rattlers are committed to the IFL, I don't know how long that will last since the other 7 teams are all in the Midwest and travel cost to Phoenix isn't cheap. Rattlers pay team travel expenses for the players for their 9 trips to the Midwest thankfully.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

yes, and part of some their deals is letting them go back to the nfl if they show interest which the cfl (specifically the argonauts right now) is reneging on.