Retroblox modular retro console

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Has he poked his head out since the Retro VGS?

he has. i got a hysterical email from the retro mag KS. including some goofy apology. apparently he finally finished the 12th issue and it only took 6 months to come out.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Remember that time it was a random VGA capture board in a clear Jag shell? That was fun!

The lulz started way before the thing even became the "Coleco Chameleon".

Remember the Retro VGS "demo".

"Power goes in, video comes out"

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
The lulz started way before the thing even became the "Coleco Chameleon".

Remember the Retro VGS "demo".

"Power goes in, video comes out"
Oh God... I forgot about that.

My favorite comment on that video is "Why is that Raspberry Pi inside a takeout salad container?" :lolz:

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
They pretty much ripped off the Sony Rewards logo.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
There is a prototype that will be demoed at the Socal Retro Show on Feb 4-5.

I have tried it and it works pretty well from what I have played and seen so far.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah the CC was a horrible mess especially the fact that Mike Kennedy tried to pass off a snes jr inside a jag case as a prototype.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm actually somewhat interested in this, though for straight up gameplay purposes, a half decent PC with emulators is still the best way to go.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
This could actually be a decent system. Retron 5 and that Japanese one [Game freak?] whatever were definitely onto something. With the inclusion of a CD drive, this is exciting to me. I have a gameroom with my framemeister and all my consoles. This thing, however, I could put in my living room and actually pop in a PC Engine CD once in awhile without having to change rooms or deal with tinkering BS. I'm interested.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
yeah, i'm actually interested too. I also like the design personally.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I still don't understand the point of this. You can't load it with roms. You need to buy and change the module depending on what system you want to play which will be an expensive pain in the ass. Are these modules even going to work 100% the same as the originals? The GUI is nice but nothing we haven't already seen. Only redeeming feature I can see is it comes with the ability to play the CD systems if that is your thing...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I still don't understand the point of this. You can't load it with roms. You need to buy and change the module depending on what system you want to play which will be an expensive pain in the ass. Are these modules even going to work 100% the same as the originals? The GUI is nice but nothing we haven't already seen. Only redeeming feature I can see is it comes with the ability to play the CD systems if that is your thing...

I see a legitimate attraction to the social gaming aspects of this as well. You see some of these things in emulation station with retro ranking and trophies - the idea of a all-in-one modular retro system with the ability so have a friends list, post scores, screenshots. It's all a wonderful idea in theory. If they can pull it off it would be amazing imo

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I see a legitimate attraction to the social gaming aspects of this as well. You see some of these things in emulation station with retro ranking and trophies - the idea of a all-in-one modular retro system with the ability so have a friends list, post scores, screenshots. It's all a wonderful idea in theory. If they can pull it off it would be amazing imo

There are aspects I like about it, in theory the online sounds good but how many people will actually own this to make online worthwhile?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
There are aspects I like about it, in theory the online sounds good but how many people will actually own this to make online worthwhile?

meh, I don't have a ton of friends on PSN - but I sure as hell post screenshots on facebook constantly hahah I would do the same with this thing. Plus, I know a few people that would challenge me with scores.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy

I could see this getting about the same adoption rate as the AVS, and that console has online scoreboard support.

While activity on it has simmered down in the past few months, it's still very much alive and fun to challenge yourself and others.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
If this thing actually works out it will be everything that I ever wanted. I still don't see why these systems can't play 32X games by now and I wish it was possible to make a Saturn add-on for it.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If this thing actually works out it will be everything that I ever wanted. I still don't see why these systems can't play 32X games by now and I wish it was possible to make a Saturn add-on for it.

There's nothing really worth playing on the 32X, and it's a super pain to emulate. It's got three different CPU architectures, 5 memory spaces, and a bunch of incredibly debilitating hardware bugs.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
"Hybrid Emulation is unique in that it requires software emulators to function at a much lower level than the ones you can simply download for your PC" So it uses ARM, ok.

Saw this the other day, they're trying to create a buzzword with their HYBRID EMULATION shit. Also encrypting data on the SD card is lame. It's like they're only trying to not be the Retron 5.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
This thing could be cool, but it probably won't be.