Craft beer subscription services.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Is anyone here a member of a craft beer subscription service? I just joined Beer52 this month, after reading around for the best one in the UK. It's all a bit hip, especially the magazine that comes with it, but it's good to try some different beers from around the world each month. I used to just drink cheap larger when I was younger, but as I get older I don't mind spending a bit more for something a bit better.

I just got my first box, as per below. It also contains a full magazine about beer and breweries, and a snack. I've only drank the Rogue so far, but I really enjoyed that one.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
My craft beer subscription is I go to the Total Wine and Spirts in Delaware near me that sells singles and buy a six pack of crafts, seasonals, and Imports and try with friends. They have all kinds of Imports a few months ago I had something from Iceland. That's a great way for me to try beers I wouldn't want to spend more on buying at a bar or wasting money on a six pack, and it's a fun thing to share with friends and see what each of us think.

What does something like this cost per beer on average?

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Is anyone here a member of a craft beer subscription service? I just joined Beer52 this month, after reading around for the best one in the UK. It's all a bit hip, especially the magazine that comes with it, but it's good to try some different beers from around the world each month. I used to just drink cheap larger when I was younger, but as I get older I don't mind spending a bit more for something a bit better.

I just got my first box, as per below. It also contains a full magazine about beer and breweries, and a snack. I've only drank the Rogue so far, but I really enjoyed that one.

nice!

im a fan of rogue dead guy ale. think a good rich ale, just high octane.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
There are multiple stores here where you can pull a bottle out of a 6-pack and just pay 1/6 of the price of the pack (Trader Joes lets you do this, although their selection is not the greatest). So I can make my own sixers without paying any extra, which makes the idea of a beer subscription not really worth it.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
There are multiple stores here where you can pull a bottle out of a 6-pack and just pay 1/6 of the price of the pack (Trader Joes lets you do this, although their selection is not the greatest). So I can make my own sixers without paying any extra, which makes the idea of a beer subscription not really worth it.

i do this often.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
What does something like this cost per beer on average?

It's £24 per a month, so £3 a beer. Not cheap at all, but here in the UK the supermarkets tend to just sell big brand beers and a few smaller UK ones. There is a shop right by my house that sells all sorts of British ciders and beers, but I thought this would be good to try out other worldwide beers. I think a lot they include are made in small batches, so not easy to find in shops. The magazine that is included is pretty interesting too, it's sold in shops for £5 so I guess you get that free.

Last edited:

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I have considered this since one of my friends does subscribe to a service like this which provides only Belgian beers. It's pretty pricey though, about $120 shipped for 12 x 750 ml bottles.

My local Systembolaget is really close and has a pretty great selection though. So for me personally it may just be crossing the brook for water.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
nice!

im a fan of rogue dead guy ale. think a good rich ale, just high octane.

Rogue is good all around. I'm also a big fan of anything by Victory.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Do UK liquor stores not have good beer selections? I mean there are a plethora of good American beers, but are there not a similar amount of good European beers local to you? Personally when I go to any high end or massive selection chain Liquor store I chose something from Belgium or Germany.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Rogue is good all around. I'm also a big fan of anything by Victory.

I'm definitely going to look out for somewhere to buy this one, and the rest of the range. I just wanted another bottle as soon as I finished the one I had. I guess that's the problem with getting one of each beer.

Do UK liquor stores not have good beer selections? I mean there are a plethora of good American beers, but are there not a similar amount of good European beers local to you? Personally when I go to any high end or massive selection chain Liquor store I chose something from Belgium or Germany.

I'm sure in bigger towns or cities, maybe, but where I live there really isn't a lot. Just whatever selection the local supermarket have. To be honest, when you do find them they are close to these prices anyway, so it's nice to try some that I otherwise wouldn't have found. I don't mind splashing out on this as a luxury each month, rather than drinking the same stuff I always have.

Last edited:

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Shame you're getting such poor pickings locally Matt, where do you live? The supermarkets where I live have really picked up on the massive surge in popularity of craft beers, and stock a great selection always rotating new stuff in, especially local brews. The subscription service is a great idea, but like you say, £3 a beer is pretty expensive when you can get them for half or two thirds of that in store.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
i do this often.

3rd this. My HEB and my Kroger's have BYO six packs, and they often get new stuff/good stuff. Wasatch Pumpkin Stout and local brews from the state are what I got last time for $10.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Shame you're getting such poor pickings locally Matt, where do you live? The supermarkets where I live have really picked up on the massive surge in popularity of craft beers, and stock a great selection always rotating new stuff in, especially local brews. The subscription service is a great idea, but like you say, £3 a beer is pretty expensive when you can get them for half or two thirds of that in store.

A small town in Somerset. We don't even have an off license, that I know of. I will have to have another look in the supermarkets, I usually just go straight to the lager, so they may have a load that I've just not noticed.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm getting a little tired of trying random bottles of IPA's and stouts. So now I'm on the hunt for limited and barrel aged bombers. It's expensive and difficult. So I don't know what I'm going to do.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyone else into sours? I love anything that Almanac and Allagash puts out, but especially the sours. New Belgium makes great sours too. :drool:

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
This is cool wouldn't mind to try it out but damn this thread, I want a beer right now.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yep. I grab interesting sours when I find them. They tend to be either really good or not great. No in between.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Otra Vez is a pretty good sour. Not a huge fan of them just because they don't really taste like beer. Being that it's that time of year, I've been buying Märzen by the case.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yep. I grab interesting sours when I find them. They tend to be either really good or not great. No in between.

Truth.

Oh yeah, and add The Bruery to the list, they make kick ass sours. Expensive as hell though.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Otra Vez is a pretty good sour. Not a huge fan of them just because they don't really taste like beer. Being that it's that time of year, I've been buying Märzen by the case.

Otra Vez is pretty good, but have you tried Lagunitas' Aunt Sally? Now that's some great sour mash right there.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
On topic though, I hate subscriptions. I'm pretty sure I'd get a bunch of shit I hate, and if there was something I liked I'd never be able to find it again, lol.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Otra Vez is pretty good, but have you tried Lagunitas' Aunt Sally? Now that's some great sour mash right there.

I haven't. I'll grab a bottle and check it out.

On topic though, I hate subscriptions. I'm pretty sure I'd get a bunch of shit I hate, and if there was something I liked I'd never be able to find it again, lol.

This is the real problem. I can go into the store and buy a bottle of whatever, and if I like it I can buy more. With a subscription like this, firstly you'll get sent things you don't like, and secondly you'll get sent things that aren't locally available. No point.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I bet if I post in this thread cdamm will reply with something about Fosters.