famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
game.com
Hyperscan
R-Zone
Arcadia 2001
Apple Pippin

I love my N-Gage QD, Jaguar, 3DO, CD-i, and lot more of the redheaded stepchild systems.

The 32X at least has Chaotix, Kolibri, and a kickass port of MKII. Plus it acts as a pass-through for fitting Mrga Drive carts in a US Genesis without any physical modifications.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Considering only those I've owned...

Sega CD (only a few worthwhile games, out the box...the system lasted a little over a week before it crapped out)
Atari Jaguar (it was great for Tempest 2000...and really not much else)
Atari 2600 (my first console I ever owned, but that does not excuse how poorly the software has aged)
Atari XE (just a random gift one Xmas, never knew it existed...never asked for it, got an NES the following year)
PS1 (tremendous library supported by the most poorly built hardware ever; I went through seven PS1 consoles)

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the only console i ever really had a problem with was the master system. not that it's a bad console, but oh man do i regret picking it over the nes.

another would be the commodore 64. again, not a bad system but it gave us loading times in the 80's and 90's. it's frustrating to wait for a game to load when the game at hand is a simple 2d platformer.

and finally the ps3. my least favourite console of the past ten years. i also thought the psp sucked as well, i gave my one to kernow.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
the only console i ever really had a problem with was the master system. not that it's a bad console, but oh man do i regret picking it over the nes.

another would be the commodore 64. again, not a bad system but it gave us loading times in the 80's and 90's. it's frustrating to wait for a game to load when the game at hand is a simple 2d platformer.

and finally the ps3. my least favourite console of the past ten years. i also thought the psp sucked as well, i gave my one to kernow.

Save the Genesis...I feel bad for anyone that chose a Sega system when it was new. Nearly all of them were commercial failures.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
No need to feel bad, smoke.

The Saturn and the Dreamcast are home to some of the finest games I've ever played.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Save the Genesis...I feel bad for anyone that chose a Sega system when it was new. Nearly all of them were commercial failures.

to be honest the master system was the only sega system i regret picking over the competitor. i bought a saturn, loved it, and still have it to this day. where as i sold/gave away and re-bought the ps1 and n64 many time. the saturn had a great library of games that was not available on the competing consoles. and in some aspects, surpassed it's competitors. where as the master system sucked in comparison to the nes.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The other thread got me thinking about this.

My top 5 are based on the consoles I own/have gotten to play (there are some real stinkers I haven't ever played, so I can't include them).

1) 32X: There is just nothing redeemable to me about this thing. It looks ugly and it's game library is awful and lacking in originality. Its games are not even that much better looking than Genesis games. This thing is just an abomination; what the hell is up with having to stick those metal things inside the Genesis cartridge slot just to use this?

2) Jaguar: The console itself looks crude (no flaps for cartridge slot, the back of the console looks like its missing a cover) and the controller is unusual, but most of all, I just don't like the game library.

3) 3DO: I had one of these for a while. I had fun with some of the gun games, but overall, found the game library to be lacking in diversity and quality. I also don't like that you have to daisy chain the controllers for multiplayer games. The console itself looks pretty nice though.

4) N64: Mostly, the games library did not appeal to me. Sure, it had great first party games from Nintendo, but I'm old and prefer the 2D versions of those franchises anyways (Zelda, Mario), so even those were not a great selling point for me. Shit, I bought a 2DS just for the new 2D Zelda game. Although this was the time gaming went to 3D, at least the PS1 and Saturn still had some great 2D games (especially the Saturn). The system had some good shooters and racing games, but those genres are not my favourites. In contrast, the PS1 had great quality, variety, and quantity; there was something there for every one. I just can't understand anyone who would prefer the N64 to the PS1 unless they are the most hardcore of Nintendo fans.

5) Wii-U: A lot of people seem to enjoy this system, but I don't. Except for Zelda, I feel that a lot of Nintendo's franchises are getting tired, and when the main selling point of a system is Nintendo's own games, it just doesn't do it for me. I also don't like that the unnecessary tablet controller continues Nintendo's streak of gimmicks.

Edit: I know a lot of people like to shit on the Wii, but to me, it is a far better console than the Wii-U. While the Wii had a lot of bad games, it also had a good amount of good games IMO. The important thing is that it had a lot of support and variety. While it had only a few RPGs, they were pretty good games. Super Mario Galaxy actually breathed some new life into that series IMO, and you could still find unique experiences like Mad World and the Demon Blade on there. The Wii might have been underpowered and had gimmicky controls, but at least it had a lot of games, and some real good ones IMO. It is a unique system. The Wii-U is just all around mediocre.

This post reads like a text version of a try-hard "edgy" YouTube video. TOP 5 WORST GAME CONSOLES... YOU WON'T BELIEVE #3!!!

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
That I've played (but again I can still find some games I still enjoyed on all of them)

3DO - I loved Twisted at the time though
Jaguar - Not too experienced with this I have played it, but there are some games I would at least play Tempest, Raiden, NBA Jam, Aliens to try out that I haven't played before on this system. The skiing game looks fun too, I think it is the same one that came out on the SNES.
2600 - I think since I got into video games after this system came out that is why I put this on my list, I'm sure for its day it wasn't that bad, maybe it was.
PS1 - Thank you Sony for muddy looking "3D" polygon graphics and not approving some 2D games to come out here in the states, still I had a lot of fun with it, Motortoon GP and KOF95 (first time playing KOF!) come immediately to mind.
PS2 - I just don't think I ever liked this as much as I should have, I guess having a modded XBOX besides the regular games just made the BOX my first choice.

That I've owned
PS1
PS2
32X - My mother wouldn't let me upgrade to a Saturn so this is what I got before I convinced her, I still had fun with NBA Jam, Star Wars, Doom, I even had the 32X/CD Frankenstein combo so I did have a couple of FMV 32X games, still wasted potential there but I see what they were going with at least in concept.
Sega CD - See above, I do have and still love the CDX, again I had a lot of fun with Aleste, Snatcher, Time Gal, Keio, which I still own all to this day, but wasted potential indeed
Saturn - I currently buy and play primarily pc engine, neo cd, and Saturn games and I love the Saturn, but the US release in general was pretty lousy and again lots of wasted potential, but there are lots of games I still enjoy. I've been playing Minnesota Fats lately on the Saturn (I think maybe Side Pocket 2 in Japan?), I'm terrible but I've gotten somewhat better at it recently

Honorable Mention to the N64, Gamecube, and Wii and the WiiU for a string of disappointments but since the N64 the Nintendo consoles have always been my third choice anyway (I do have a WiiU and not a PS4 or Xbone though). Beetle Adventure and Mario Kart 64 were two of my favorites that generation though, and I can think of some other games like Virtua Striker and Billy Hatcher on the cube, plus the compilations like Data East on the Wii I enjoyed as well.

I'll mention the Master System too, but since it was such a non factor in the US (in part to Nintendo third party licensing at the time), I never got into it too much, but I do enjoy some of the games on the system a lot.

For all my Sega hate listed, I do have to say I would put Sega in my top three if not my favorite video game company of all time.

Last edited:

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
This bad boy really took the Jaguar to the next level with some online play. Meowwwwwww

catbox.jpg

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
All the 3DO and Vita hate is making me rather angry..
My list for worst consoles that I have played:
1. CDI
2. 32x - I do like Kolibri though. Insanely hard but a fun game nonetheless.
3. Wii - I blame the success of Carnival Games for bringing out the hundreds of shovelware clones
4. N-Gage - Most games are simply unplayable. Even on the improved QD model.
5. PC-FX

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Virtua Fighter 1 on 32X is good.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I still play Virtua Racing all the time.

That and MKII which is a very good port IMO.

Back in the day I also liked Metal Head but it hasn't aged too well. Also liked Doom (yeah, it has a smaller screen, never was a prob for me), Virtua Fighter and the Star Wars games, specially SW Arcade.

Yeah, it was a failure and I wasn't too happy with Sega at that time but still had my fair share of fun with the 32X and Mega CD, that's all I want.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I like my 32X.

Same here. To say that there is "nothing redeemable" about it is just ignorant. Sure, I'd be unhappy if I bought it brand new back in 1994, but they're cool to pick up now. Same goes for the Jag and the 3DO in my opinion. Those consoles were both technologically amazing when they came out. The Jag didn't get enough must have games, but is still fun to own nowadays, and the 3DO had quite a few good games but just cost too much back then. I own just about every console there is, and they all have at least a few games that make the system worth owning.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
32X wasn't great but the mega cd was the bomb, worth the asking price alone for road avenger, snatcher and robo aleste.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This thread designed to fish out trolls.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
32X wasn't great but the mega cd was the bomb, worth the asking price alone for road avenger, snatcher and robo aleste.

Yeah I never understood why people always lump the Sega CD & 32X together as the demise of Sega. Say what you will about the 32X (don't ban me, Tak!), but the Sega CD has an awesome library that covers nearly every genre.
Lunar 1, 2, Popful Mail
Sonic CD, Shining Force CD
Snatcher, Final Fight CD
Keio Flying Suadron, Android Assault
Earthworm Jim (the best version out there)

And I am sure I missed some other good ones.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
No need to feel bad, smoke.

The Saturn and the Dreamcast are home to some of the finest games I've ever played.

Seconded. The dreamcast was one of my favorites personally. The lifespan was small but the games were great.

Saturn is the only system I ever saw a big name game store selling the japanese versions. It was cool going to Babbages and seeing Marvel vs Street Fighter or Castlevania Sympthony of the Night on the shelves.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I had Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, and MKII on the 32x as well, and MKII and virtua fighter got a lot of play.

I was thinking the other week about picking up Virtua Racing on the Saturn, need to get that one of these days.

Is an authentic copy of Fatal Fury Special for the Sega Cd or almost every other Sega Cd game attainable these days? I see it go for astronomical prices on Ebay, I'd like to try it one of these days even though I have FFS on plenty of other systems.

For me besides the 2600 and the Sony systems the less third party support (in particular Japanese fighting/shooter companies pre Xbox) = me being less interested in the system, but that is definitely a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The 32X really had potential. Imagine the stuff a capable developer could have done with the 32X + MegaCD combo but it came way too late and its technical specs were a bit unorthodox to say the least.

Btw., I bought it -almost- new two years after its release when it was almost dead already. As I said, I was kinda pissed after support got quickly dropped but in the end, I got a ton of gameplay out of the titles I've named before so I really can't complain.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The 32X really had potential. Imagine the stuff a capable developer could have done with the 32X + MegaCD combo but it came way too late and its technical specs were a bit unorthodox to say the least.

Btw., I bought it -almost- new two years after its release when it was almost dead already. As I said, I was kinda pissed after support got quickly dropped but in the end, I got a ton of gameplay out of the titles I've named before so I really can't complain.

I wish I had more $$ back then...the 32X, the Gen 2 Sega CD, the 3DO, the Jaguar...all were being fire sold new in box for pennies on the dollar by 1995/1996...and I was broke as a joke.