Best and worst ports?

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Just out of curiosity, what are some of the best and worst ports of Neo games you guys have played?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Best: P.O.W. - It's like a whole different game.

Worst: SamSho SNES - I wouldn't wipe my ass with the instruction manual.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Best ports
Most of the Dreamcast ports.
Saturn ports were okay except a few

Can anyone tell me how Fatal fury special and Samurai Shodown were like on the Sega CD.

Last edited:

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ironclad VC lel

Haven't really dabbled with any ports but have always wondered how the Mega Drive version of Viewpoint played out, it doesn't look that bad.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I thought the first Fatal Fury on Genesis was rough.

i thought the genesis/megadrive port of the first fatal fury was great. it's about as arcade perfect you're going to get on sega's 16bit system, specially if you compare it to the snes port, which was rough.

fatal fury 1 for the snes has to be the worst neo port that i have played. as for the best port?, there are many great ones, but i find that pretty much every ps2 port of the neo games are arcade perfect. but my personal favourite has to be the saturn release of king of fighters 97. pure nostalgia.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury 3 is awful, hell I'd play Samsho SNES 'cause at least it's playable...not FF3 Saturn, what a POS.

Everything else isn't half that bad, not even MSlug for PSX...MSlugX was better...

KOF '95 ports are so good for what they are. The Saturn one specially it's excellent.
KOF '99 PSX isn't half bad either, of course evolution kicks the shit out of it.

KOF'99 Dreamatch never ends...OH man excellent port...

Everything that came after was 480i until Neowave Progressive Scan support which was awesome...

There's a lot of good ports considering, at least none of the ports are as bad as the VS series ports on PSX...lol

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Best ports
Most of the Dreamcast ports.
Saturn ports were okay except a few

Can anyone tell me how Fatal fury special and Samurai Shodown were like on the Sega CD.

i heard that samurai shodown on the sega cd was great. but i did play the fatal fury special port. i'm not shore if there was something wrong on with the cd, but the animation was very choppy.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Fatal Fury 3 is awful, hell I'd play Samsho SNES 'cause at least it's playable...not FF3 Saturn, what a POS.

Everything else isn't half that bad, not even MSlug for PSX...MSlugX was better...

KOF '95 ports are so good for what they are. The Saturn one specially it's excellent.
KOF '99 PSX isn't half bad either, of course evolution kicks the shit out of it.

KOF'99 Dreamatch never ends...OH man excellent port...

Everything that came after was 480i until Neowave Progressive Scan support which was awesome...

There's a lot of good ports considering, at least none of the ports are as bad as the VS series ports on PSX...lol

Didn't know there was a FF3 port on the Saturn. What was so wrong with it?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Frame skipping...it's worse than Darkstalkers and X-men for PSX combined...

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
i heard that samurai shodown on the sega cd was great. but i did play the fatal fury special port. i'm not shore if there was something wrong on with the cd, but the animation was very choppy.

I did actually have the Fatal Fury Special port on Sega CD. It was... ok.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know, FFS on Sega CD was so overrated, the Game Gear port played better...Full Screen Bornakle!...lol.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown III Playstation was the worst fucking port of a Neo game I'd ever seen.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I kind of enjoyed playing Samurai Shodown & Fatal Fury 2 on the Genesis.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I kind of enjoyed playing Samurai Shodown & Fatal Fury 2 on the Genesis.

neo geo ports usually did play better on the genesis/megadrive in comparison to the snes ports. aldo fatal fury 2 on the snes was sweet. where as on the genesis, the game was on steroids. and that intro :buttrock::

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
genesis Fatal Fury 2 juggle code, is..scary.

Last edited:

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Have to say Fatal Fury 1 and 2 on the megadrive are brilliant.

Fatal Fury 1 on the MD is the reason I have an AES and CMVS combined with the endless views of Art of Fighting attract sequences in the arcades :)

Fatal Fury 2 on the MD is awesome and plays like a dream. As mentioned above if you put the juggle code in the game goes batshit crazy allowing for some outrageous combos! I didnt know this existied for a while becasue it never got a european release. As soon as I found out I picked it up ASAP.

Fatal Fury 3 on the saturn is pretty shocking and a real dissapointment. Real Bout Special is good though and so are the KOF 95, 96 and 97.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
genesis Fatal Fury 2 juggle code, is..scary.

so that's how they did it. watching some youtube videos of the game, i always wondered how people could pull off insane air combos that just did not work when i attempted to do it.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The only non-arcade and non-dreamcast neo geo ports I've played was Fatal Fury 1 and 2 on SNES.

They were "ok" ports. Not offensive, but by no means good.

The worst port I've ever played was the PS1 version of Marvel Superheroes.
I got the CPS2 board about 6 months ago, and the PS1 version is HORRIFIC.

Load times forever, slowdown, choppy sound.
The definition of an offensive port.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
The only non-arcade and non-dreamcast neo geo ports I've played was Fatal Fury 1 and 2 on SNES.

They were "ok" ports. Not offensive, but by no means good.

The worst port I've ever played was the PS1 version of Marvel Superheroes.
I got the CPS2 board about 6 months ago, and the PS1 version is HORRIFIC.

Load times forever, slowdown, choppy sound.
The definition of an offensive port.

You've obviously never played any of Capcom's Vs series on the PS1. Marvel Super Heroes is just bad compared to those.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Dunno about downright bad Neo ports but KoF2k1 on DC is one of the most accurate KoF ports I've ever played, and that's coming from someone who owns the game on homecart and has played it more often than you had hot dinners. Make sure to switch off all the extra graphics options, though, otherwise you'll get some slowdowns.

Other than that, most latter-day PS2 SNK ports are more or less spot-on.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Nope. The only one I own is Marvel SH because I found it in a thrift store for $2.
The CPS2 cart was the better deal at $75.

I've only heard legends of how bad MVC1 is on PS1. Can't even switch characters, etc.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Best: P.O.W. - It's like a whole different game.

Worst: SamSho SNES - I wouldn't wipe my ass with the instruction manual.

I remember renting SamSho on SNES back in the day when it was new. Oh damn, what a disappointment. Genesis version was fire though, all things considered.