Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game

Can a moderator please come and check this thread, if he approves the replies I got in here then I am out from this forum.
I am sure not all the neogeo members are like most the posters in this thread, but a moderator really need to come and clean up this space, unless he approves of such behaviour.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Can a moderator please come and check this thread, if he approves the replies I got in here then I am out from this forum.
I am sure not all the neogeo members are like most the posters in this thread, but a moderator really need to come and clean up this space, unless he approves of such behaviour.

Dude, you came in too early, not knowing these forums at all, and as such are getting your ass handed to you. Take a step back for a month, read what goes on here and try again if you think you have something people will want to hear or see.

As it is, this was always going to happen, sorry man.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

You just need to change the title of the thread to "Please delete" and they will take care of everything.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
For what it's worth, the people are giving you a realistic opinion of what they think of your game. It's unfortunate that your vision isn't in line with their tastes. Most of these guys are 10-20 year veterans playing arcade games and their expectations are high. They'll shell out multi hundreds of dollars for a game that is worth it's mettle. The rest go by the curb side. Take this time to actually figure out why they don't like it. If this is your first rodeo, being shot down constantly in the entertainment industry is business as usual. There are thousands of other people doing the same thing. Show them why your product is deserving of a second look rather than others.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This site has plenty of decent people who would offer you fair constructive criticism. Even those folks are entirely turned off by you / your game.

The art is very poor - it's stuff I can do on piskel app or ms paint and I have zero skills.

You can't provide any tangible game mechanics.

You are welcoming a failed kickstarter. Your attitude is horrible. People buy not only the game - but the developer.

You want to cash in on "anything neo" but you aren't willing to put any of the work in to make that happen.

I'm one of the tamest dudes on this forum and I find it hard to say anything positive about you or this game.

For what it's worth, the people are giving you a realistic opinion of what they think of your game. It's unfortunate that your vision isn't in line with their tastes. Most of these guys are 10-20 year veterans playing arcade games and their expectations are high. They'll shell out multi hundreds of dollars for a game that is worth it's mettle. The rest go by the curb side. Take this time to actually figure out why they don't like it. If this is your first rodeo, being shot down constantly in the entertainment industry is business as usual. There are thousands of other people doing the same thing. Show them why your product is deserving of a second look rather than others.

Now we are talking, this is the the reply that is actually a reply. Thank you Mr.
The game objective is first the gameplay, great and exciting gameplay is the top priority.

Graphics and sound are equally important, some people don't like the graphics, but most do.
One of the objectives is to have 100% hand drawn graphics, and in hi-res. This is not something easy and they actually demand a considerable amount of time to be done.

Music is also very important, and I'll make sure the game will have great music from start to finish.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Now we are talking, this is the the reply that is actually a reply. Thank you Mr.
The game objective is first the gameplay, great and exciting gameplay is the top priority.

Graphics and sound are equally important, some people don't like the graphics, but most do.
One of the objectives is to have 100% hand drawn graphics, and in hi-res. This is not something easy and they actually demand a considerable amount of time to be done.

Music is also very important, and I'll make sure the game will have great music from start to finish.

This isn't an answer to anything.

it's stuff I can do on piskel app or ms paint and I have zero skills.
Try and show me, if you do better or equal sprite I'll pay you to make more if you want. I am actually in need for more sprite artist.

You can't provide any tangible game mechanics.
As I said, I would have developed the mechanics more if the reply was a normal reply.

You are welcoming a failed kickstarter. Your attitude is horrible. People buy not only the game - but the developer.
My attitude or the the attitude of some people starting from the first reply to this thread.

You want to cash in on "anything neo" but you aren't willing to put any of the work in to make that happen.
I don't want to cash in anything, I do this for the passion I have for good looking, great playing arcade games.

I'm one of the tamest dudes on this forum and I find it hard to say anything positive about you or this game.
Say all the negatives you want, as long as you don't insult me, or ask me directly in insulting manner.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

I'm going to have to agree with that. For a no-name developer, if you're going to make all those claims of exciting gameplay and great music, you're gonna have to have a trailer of sorts. Unless you've already had an established hit and people have a feel for your work, you can't just roll with teaser screens and say your game is great without getting torn to shreds.

Let me detail the mechanics here, the website has also some info in the about section.

The mechanics are similar to Shinobi, and will have gameplay elements from Dragon Ninja and others.

Basically, each level will have a number of hostages to resuce (in the demo only one type of hostages (bearded man), but in the full game there will be more variety).
The eventual game will be 15 levels, with a boss at the end of each level.

The levels will be much longer than in the arcade game Shadow Gangs takes its inspiration from, the reason is there is need to take coins from people, so no time limit and longer levels.

There will be a big variety of enemies, and the hero will visit many iconic locations (new york, paris, tokyo and more).

Three buttons: jump, fire and magic (magic may or may not be in the demo) and pure action from start to finish.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to agree with that. For a no-name developer, if you're going to make all those claims of exciting gameplay and great music, you're gonna have to have a trailer of sorts. Unless you've already had an established hit and people have a feel for your work, you can't just roll with teaser screens and say your game is great without getting torn to shreds.
A video is coming very soon. The demo is finsihed and all what is left is more polish which the phase the game is in now.

Here is a music that may be the demo level music. It's not using proper instruments yet, and a final version of it is in the work.
Please listen to it, and tell me what you think:
http://www.shadowgangs.com/uploads/6/1/9/4/61944069/shadow_gangs_1.mp3

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
My attitude or the the attitude of some people starting from the first reply to this thread.

My post was dickish but I didn't write it for the sake of being a "hater". You would be hard pressed to find anyone interested in playing your game FOR FREE with that bland ass circa 2000 flash game art, much less paying for it with the promise that you'll finish it eventually you idiot. Having no demo, prototype, or at least a concept video WILL make people judge the game by its' screenshots (AKA the only thing provided here besides the game's title).

You know what, fuck it, just do a kickstarter already and watch how your project won't get traction at all with your own eyes.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Let me detail the mechanics here, the website has also some info in the about section.

The mechanics are similar to Shinobi, and will have gameplay elements from Dragon Ninja and others.

Basically, each level will have a number of hostages to resuce (in the demo only one type of hostages (bearded man), but in the full game there will be more variety).
The eventual game will be 15 levels, with a boss at the end of each level.

The levels will be much longer than in the arcade game Shadow Gangs takes its inspiration from, the reason is there is need to take coins from people, so no time limit and longer levels.

There will be a big variety of enemies, and the hero will visit many iconic locations (new york, paris, tokyo and more).

Three buttons: jump, fire and magic (magic may or may not be in the demo) and pure action from start to finish.

I suggest learning how to play/understand games before you start making them.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Ok. Please look for somewhere else to post and thank you.

I'm trying to be as constructive as possible but you came here looking to pimp your game. You're not walking on sunshine telling the people that call this place home to go away just because people aren't seeing it as positively as you'd hope. Making ANY product for consumption will be met with criticism no matter how good it is. Face them head on and use it to improve your product. Grow some thicker skin. Or leave.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I'm trying to be as constructive as possible but you came here looking to pimp your game. You're not walking on sunshine telling the people that call this place home to go away just because people aren't seeing it as positively as you'd hope. Making ANY product for consumption will be met with criticism no matter how good it is. Face them head on and use it to improve your product. Grow some thicker skin. Or leave.

^^

i for one cant wait for this game to come out on kongregate. the flash scene could use some fresh blood.

It's not about seeing positive or negative, it's insults to me as a person the issue. I don't care if you insult the game
Ok, that applies to you too. Please look for somewhere else where to post plenty of threads and forums all over here and there.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
As far as I can tell, none of the initial criticisms were personal attacks towards you. They were all directed at the art design. When you show nothing but static images, that's all they can go by. It wasn't until you started acting butt hurt that the attacks became less about the game and more about you.

As far as I can tell, none of the initial criticisms were personal attacks towards you. They were all directed at the art design. When you show nothing but static images, that's all they can go by. It wasn't until you started acting butt hurt that the attacks became less about the game and more about you.

Ok, now please as I said, if you want of course.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
This game has potential ...

Spoiler:
to be the next shaq fu

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

:cool: