Nintendo NX: What you all thinking so far? Possible fail, or Nintendo's game changer?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
With so little information, it's so hard to tell right now. But we do know it's going to be part handheld, part console. I personally think this could be the game changer Nintendo needs to get us back to the SNES days. Except it will pretty much be a war between Nintendo, and Playstation.

Why do I think it could put Nintendo back in a good position?

1. Nintendo dominates the handheld market (not counting phones), and they know this. I personally think Nintendo is going to use this to their advantage by ultimately forcing consumers who want their handheld, to buy the console at the same time. I feel they realize at this point that is how they are going to have to get console sales.

2. Zelda is obviously going to be released for the NX, in a Twilight Princess way. I'm not even sure if it will hit the Wii-U. Also, the next Dragon Quest is already announced, which hopefully means it will get some Square-Enix, and other support from JRPG developers.

Why it could be a failure:

1. If it's not compatible with Wii-U games. People are going to be pretty pissed if this thing doesn't play disc based Wii-U games. They're going to be pissed anyway. I was looking today, and the Wii-U has a total of 99 retail games released, in what, 4 years. That's a ridiculous low number. If this does not happen, people might be pretty reluctant to drop down probably $400.00 on a new console.

2. They don't take online gaming seriously. Lets be honest here, one of the big reasons people don't develop for the Wii-U, besides it's less powerful than the other consoles, is that the online sucks. Nintendo needs to get in the game and create a social media interface, with an easy to use account system to locate, and play with friends. Furthermore, we need freaking headsets. This is a key element Nintendo needs to focus on in order to get the sports players, and FPS players. Now I still don't think this will convert the majority of the sports and FPS players. They will most likely go XBOX, or maybe PS4, but it will help to sell the console to the few out there that have a diverse taste in games. I mean, no matter what Nintendo does, Nintendo consoles will always be seen as a console for a younger audience, and those die hard xbox fans are not going to leave.

Things I feel could easily make the NX a immediate success:

1. If this thing can manage to play 3DS games, and maybe DS games, I think Nintendo will see immediate success. Hopefully the handheld aspect will be more powerful, but if it can play 3DS people are going to buy this thing, especially considering many people have not upgraded to the New Nintendo 3DS.

2. It would also help if now we will be able to link our handheld, and console, virtual shop games. Now this won't make the console an immediate success, but paired with number one, it could make a HUGE difference.

I think if Nintendo makes a valiant attempt to hit on all these things the NX will be a huge success. Nintendo has always been focused on fun, rather than competition, and violence. In a way that is what has hurt them. They need to come out guns blazing, with a totally new online social media interface, the most powerful system, with backwards compatibility, and hopefully that will land them some good third party developers. I think we have seen now that it's really hard for Nintendo to stay afloat with basically only their first party games on home consoles. Hopefully they will listen to their fans, and make some huge changes.

As for the backwards compatibility, I think the only way this thing will survive if they do not include it, is if they go in hard with the online, and completely drop the 3DS, and force people to use the new NX as a handheld.

What are all of your thoughts? I think we will get a lot more info after the holidays (so people still buy the Wii-U), in a Nintendo Direct. Hopefully things are pretty exciting come January.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I gave away my wii as a present to a friend. My justification was I could get a wii-u sometime in the near future. Backwards compatibility with the wii-u sounds nice, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I think just by the nature of things, Nintendo would probably have some kind of novel technology that differentiates it from the competition. Nintendo can't compete with sony and ms r&d for performance. Nintendo's ace has always been accessibility (except online) and their properties. I have to admit though, I'm not their target demographic, but I'm more interested in Nintendo's hardware and software over the competitors (although getting a 360 is looking better all the time, the used market for those games range around 10 bucks now a days. The 360 feels like the new ps2 in terms of library, and this is just my perception not being too involved with current gen stuff)

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Nintendo is in big trouble on the handheld front. Everywhere you look today, children and adults are playing games on their phones. Sure the 3DS has better games, but cell phone games are plentiful, cheap, and "good enough". Plus a cell phone can do much more than just play games. Parents don't even have to necessarily buy their kids new hardware-they hand down their old phone when they buy a new one.

If Nintendo does anything new in handhelds then I think they should try to do a gaming focused cell phone. I know Nokia tried it first with the crappy N-Gage, but Nintendo could do it right. A game-focused but full-featured cell phone would certainly be unique in the current cell market.

As for the home consoles, it's hard to see a clear path forward. The Wii had a cool new feature (motion controller), a low price ($200US at launch) and was a huge success despite being underpowered compared to rivals. The Wii U had a mediocre new feature (tablet controller tethered to the console with less functionality than an iOS or Android pad), an expensive price ($350US at launch for the good model), was underpowered and had a confusing name (regular people thought the Wii U was just another Wii accessory like the balance board). Low initial sales plus underpowered hardware caused third-party developers to abandon it in favor of the new, stronger Sony and MS consoles. Today, the Wii U is considered a bomb-mostly because the price is still way too high. They really should cut the price to $150 for this latest Christmas and go for broke.

i can't see Nintendo taking on Sony and MS head-on with a traditional console for the NX. They both have a year head start, third-party goodwill and developed online gaming ecosystems. The NX will need to offer some new compelling feature no one else has at a competitive price that's more compelling than what MS and Sony are offering.

Will the NX be a portable VR headset? Maybe-the Virtual Boy, 3DS, and Wii motion controls all had pieces of tech that could be advanced to a full-blown VR setup. But the competition is steep with MS, Sony, and Occulus all showing late-stage VR tech.

Will the NX be a gaming focused cell phone? Maybe-the hardware talent is there but I don't think the OS software could compete unless they forked Android.

Hopefully it'll be something new, unexpected and amazing. I'm crossing my fingers for holographic projections. Transform my living room into Hyrule please!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
as most have already said,nintendo has been surviving on the handheld market since the n64 days. and now the hand held market is being taken over by phones, so nintendo has to up there game on the home console,or they will be in trouble.

nintendo really needs to market there games and consoles right.take the wii for instance. love the wii, but the problem the console had was that the games wasn't marketed very well. a lot of people think the wii had nothing to offer outside of wii sports,and are completely oblivious to games such pikmin,metroid prime 3,sin and punishment,muramasa ,a shadow's tale, fragile dreams, tasunoko vs capcom.

i think nintendo needs to be different and shouldn't jump on the mainstream band wagon. but at the same time,offer something for every one and not just pokemon and mario fans.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
(although getting a 360 is looking better all the time, the used market for those games range around 10 bucks now a days. The 360 feels like the new ps2 in terms of library, and this is just my perception not being too involved with current gen stuff)

Be careful with that - games get released buggy as hell and need patches to fix them. Yeah, its great that the entry price point is so low, but once online support goes away for them, a lot of those games may become useless.

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
as most have already said,nintendo has been surviving on the handheld market since the n64 days. and now the hand held market is being taken over by phones, so nintendo has to up there game on the home console,or they will be in trouble.

People have been saying this for years yet Nintendo is doing just fine. They don't even try to compete head on with Sony and Microsoft but rather continue doing their own thing which is a very nice option to have in the current market. They have tons of cash and could probably survive longer than the other two if the industry somehow crashed. I'm looking forward to the NX just because I love the Nintendo properties and Splatoon is still one of the most fun online games I've ever played.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Reports are that Nintendo wants to ship 20 million NXs in 2016.

That's several million more than the total number of Wii U consoles sold since its launch in 2012.

That's a couple million more than the number of PS4s Sony, the market leader, wants to ship in 2016.

Nintendo has gone bonkers.

Magician

20 Year Member
Wait and see, I guess.

It gets better, Nintendo isn't revealing NX until E3.

Even if that report is wrong...by lets say half, that's 10 million consoles shipped in six months.

You'd think Nintendo would dial back production just a tad coming off their worst selling console in company history?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Be careful with that - games get released buggy as hell and need patches to fix them. Yeah, its great that the entry price point is so low, but once online support goes away for them, a lot of those games may become useless.

With them making the push for emulated backwards compatibility, these essential patches will still be need to be online, as will the servers for all these games. While this isn't a permanent solution, it will at the very least extend the life of these games. Also, it someone really wants to preserve 360/PS3 stuff I'd recommend getting a modded system. That way, you can back up the dlc as you see fit.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
People have been saying this for years yet Nintendo is doing just fine. They don't even try to compete head on with Sony and Microsoft but rather continue doing their own thing which is a very nice option to have in the current market.

they don't have to compete with sony or microsoft.but they should advertise and market the home console and games better. i gave an example of the wii having a great game library but not a lot of people being aware of the existence of the games.

nintendo is unique and shouldn't be more like sony or microsoft.but they should make better marketing decisions and throw away the gimmicks.

Magician

20 Year Member
I still have no idea if the NX will be a console or portable.

Portables are king in Japan.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the NX is a beefcake portable in line to retire the 3DS, although I still believe it'll be a console to rival the XBone and PS4.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the NX is a beefcake portable in line to retire the 3DS, although I still believe it'll be a console to rival the XBone and PS4.

I'll be interested to see how all of this drama unfolds...

Big title games are made for "mass" players. "Mass" players flock to the consoles that are basically really powerful versions of what has always been (currently the 360, PS4). Although the industry keeps trying to push extra features such as media centers, motion control, etc...the big name games still follow the same formula; standard control, online features, fancy graphics, (possibly) multi-channel audio.

Nintendo has completely ignored these things for a very long time. They relied on gimmicky controls and under-powered hardware for some time now.

For them to get back into the mainstream game (not something they would actually benefit from), they'd need to drop the horse-shit gimmicks and go back to the basics...essentially what made their NES and SNES so good.

I do have to say this...for the to even stand a chance of dethroning either Sony or MS (because I still feel the market can only support 2 mainstream consoles at once), they better come out with something really amazing specs wise...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

From the drawings in the patent, it seems it's either a console with a controller that functions as a portable or a high powered portable with some sort of docking station.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
it will be the next revolution in gaming and sell out like crazy like the Wii did

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
experience tells me that I personally will be dissapointed initially but I will probably warm to what Nintendo offers up eventually.
I have been stuck on Nintendo's past glory days with the SFC/SNES being the beast it was. Sony then became that entity to some extent.
Nintendo have ever since, cleverly crafted their operation, more inclined to making toy-like contraptions than hardcore gaming consoles.
So I think they will for sure pander something fierce to casual gaming public.
I can see Nintendo eventually being bought out by Disney.
I also think that in an Ideal world they would be making their next system a standalone VR headset system. I think they could ride that wave at its crest, and they would be excellent promoters of this kind of gear amongst the general public.
I doubt it will happen though.
Most probably they are making an all you can eat buffet type system, with emphasis on their past library and digitial content (ZZZzzZZZ).

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
1. Zelda will hit the Wii U.
2. Wii U has life left, I think another two years will do it.
3. NX will be a fucking gimmick most likely. Name will be changed. System will do mediocre at launch due to poor launch titles. Nintendo will never make anything like the SNES again, that era is over and done, they don't have the third party support, and due to greed are unattractive to work with.
4. Amiibo's printed money.
5. Nintendo needs to stop the god damn Zelda remakes. It is getting desperate, and it is now to the point to where it extremely obvious leeching. This insults Wii U owners and undermines consumer confidence.
6. Nintendo is the most non-progressive company in consumer rights, and loves to control its fans and anything associated with it. Attitudes will shift towards this company because they are so greedy and controlling it is hard to ignore this fake smile that is perpetuated... You cannot punish your fans in the media zone, it looks and is terrible for your business. The ad revenue sharing and this notion of Nintendo being responsible for your uploads concerned people who may poorly review games. The last reward for club nintendo was so insulting to me, I boycotted even redeeming any of my points for shitty DLC games I don't want. When you looked over at Japan and their kick ass rewards, it's obvious how little the US meant. People WANT physical items you can't get anywhere else. Not some fucking DLC you can go buy right now. All the surveys and time. God damn did that leave me sour.
7. Nintendo has mastered Mario as a concept, however we live in a pussy foot society now with heavy finger pointing political correctness, and black balling over minor shit. I wonder how long it'll be before it starts catching up with Nintendo that Mario is a racist stereotype of a character to begin with.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

In all honesty...yeah, I can see this as well.

I also think that in an Ideal world they would be making their next system a standalone VR headset system. I think they could ride that wave at its crest, and they would be excellent promoters of this kind of gear amongst the general public.

VR gaming is finally becoming an interesting prospect. I know this was visited back in the 90's, but the hardware/software just wasn't there yet. By what I've seen...it's finally to the point where it can be effective.

Sadly...I get motion sick like a M-F...so unless I can get my hands on those patches, there is no way in hell I could strap on a VR headset without vomiting within the first 10 min of using the thing...

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account

With how big Disney is you can replace Nintendo with Sony, Microsoft, or basically anybody else. It'll just have to wait until Disney decides or feels like taking over the video game world the way they own television and movies.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
As a Chinese Panda, I am offended by the Italian Plumber Mario. I'm calling my attorney.