Bootleg AES carts on aliexpress

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The 10 pack of Hagane is scam central. This stuff is tailor made to scam. How the fuck can they get away with this? SNK needs to start caring and punish this nonsense behavior. I'm just amazed at how easy it is to find this stuff and how little these companies do. Only upside I see is a total lack of trust in buying expensive games that might deter the market value, or it might drive it sky high when you can prove it actually is authentic. It is to easy to price fix with video games.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Can't understand why people would pay such high prices for reproduction carts, $200+ is ridiculous. I see them advertised on ebay for the megadrive all the time and sellers are asking £40+ for stuff like musha, alien soldier, eliminate down.
Correct me if i'm wrong guy's but i'd rather get an everdrive and play the roms that way, same effect but a damm sight cheaper, repo's ain't worth squat to me.
What'll happen if an everdrive for neo-geo come's out, surely that would be a good thing and put an end to the craziness of not only repo carts but the stupid prices they go for as well.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Can't understand why people would pay such high prices for reproduction carts, $200+ is ridiculous. I see them advertised on ebay for the megadrive all the time and sellers are asking £40+ for stuff like musha, alien soldier, eliminate down.
Correct me if i'm wrong guy's but i'd rather get an everdrive and play the roms that way, same effect but a damm sight cheaper, repo's ain't worth squat to me.
What'll happen if an everdrive for neo-geo come's out, surely that would be a good thing and put an end to the craziness of not only repo carts but the stupid prices they go for as well.

People like tangible things..............

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Seeing loose, fake and poorly assembled AES carts as tangible things is an act of desperation and the prices for this haptic quality are preposterous. This console really needs a proper multi. The sooner, the better.

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It needs a proper everdrive-esque solution. It'd be awesome to get a gdemu type deal going on the Neo CD too.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The everdrive topic was cancelled years ago due to technical issues and an impractical cost/benefit factor. Darksoft made a CPS2 multi, next on the table is the NG version. If that'll happen, all this loose boot business will find it's end in the trash can.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
If that'll happen, all this loose boot business will find it's end in the trash can.
mhm, I don´t think so. The spanish/french Boot Business won´t stop till the japanese sellers recognize that not all sold carts are originals. As long as they don´t understand this fact, bootlegs will be sold. Also I saw on the bay that there are still plenty of Rendering Ranger Bootlegs (and other games) for Megadrive/Genesis. The everdrive hasn´t changed so much.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But are they sold loose for $200? That was the whole point. The "full kit" boot is a different story.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
But are they sold loose for $200? That was the whole point. The "full kit" boot is a different story.
ah, okay, so.... yes, you are right. Loose cart for 200 USD jest bez sensu (for Gerard, who is reading this for sure :))

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
They are bootlegging Nintendo 64 games as well, which was previously thought to be not possible. I would think not many will sell at that price, but we will see.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
The topic of market value of genuine carts vs. bootlegs has been covered before many times. Every high-end market is subject to replicas and counterfeits. IMHO if Chinese AES boots flood the market, prices of genuine carts might stabilize for a while but I don't see prices going down. Collectors will always want the real thing, whether they be shelf queens, real gamers or otherwise. Sellers have no incentive to lower prices because there will always be someone down the road that is willing to pay an inflated price.

Everdrives have been around for years and that has not affected the ever-increasing price for genuine games. Even if Darksoft is successful in creating a perfect All-in-1 cart, Neo games won't go down in price. Chinese boots, multicarts and flash carts merely divide the market into 2 segments: Genuine items and everything else. My suspicion is that rare and ultra-rare carts will become astronomically expensive because sellers can add a "premium" price for proving authenticity, what ever the hell that entails.

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
To me everdrives and multicarts are a completely separate topic. They are a chance to play the games on actual hardware, but in a way that clearly shows no possibility of duping anyone. Just people wanting to play the game and not care about the collector aspect.

I wholeheartedly support everdrives, don't mind multicarts if they avoid damaging real hardware, despise conversions and hate bootlegs that look at all legit.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Everdrives have been around for years and that has not affected the ever-increasing price for genuine games. Even if Darksoft is successful in creating a perfect All-in-1 cart, Neo games won't go down in price.

Absolutely true. The prices will even rise again a bit, since devices like multis or everdrives work exactly the way good advertising works. You play the game, you get hot for it, you'll pay any price to get it etc., etc. But prices of bootlegs may go down, as well, as their manufacture.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
They are bootlegging Nintendo 64 games as well, which was previously thought to be not possible. I would think not many will sell at that price, but we will see.

I don't know that it was thought to be "not possible" in the past, it's just that EPROMs didn't exist the size of the MASK ROMs so you would need a custom PCB. I'm not even sure what size flash chips were available in the 90s either, it probably would've required a huge cart like the dev carts. BITD of the N64 it was cheaper/easier just to buy a copier than to be a bootlegger making custom PCBs using flash chips. The limitation up until recently was "what's the point?" Most N64 games are cheap and widely available and there are also Everdrives for the system.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think that's pretty cool, I mean the everdrives they have for sale in there, pretty cheap!

If only we could get a Neo everdrive...so sweet!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I don't know that it was thought to be "not possible" in the past, it's just that EPROMs didn't exist the size of the MASK ROMs so you would need a custom PCB. I'm not even sure what size flash chips were available in the 90s either, it probably would've required a huge cart like the dev carts. BITD of the N64 it was cheaper/easier just to buy a copier than to be a bootlegger making custom PCBs using flash chips. The limitation up until recently was "what's the point?" Most N64 games are cheap and widely available and there are also Everdrives for the system.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the explanation. It seems like the ones being bootlegged are Clayfighter Sculptors Cut, Bomberman 2nd Attack, Ogre Battle, and Harvest Moon. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/64bit-game-card-Harvest-Moon-64-USA-Version/32459827407.html Not sure why anyone would by a boot of that as the real thing is cheaper, but as time goes on it may become more popular.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object

I was going to say the exact same thing. Bootlegs of N64 games have existed even before this AliExpress crap, they were just weren't very common as your garage counterfeiter had no way to make them using EPROMs.