KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Profiles are up (click on the characters for details):

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teams/southamerica.php

They are all Brazilians, except for Zarina, who is Colombian but lives in Brazil. Nelson lost his arm in an accident and currently using a robotic one. His fiancee is being hospitalized for a coma.

To me personally this is the best fully new team introduced in KOF yet. It's is the first time where I like an entire brand new team.

I don't know how to put it, but some of Zarina's movements look too soft / delicate? And she partly reminds me of Momoko, who I hope Zarina is replacing permanently (good job SNK). Part of me still wishes we got Richard instead, but I won't complain.

You can check the profiles of the other available teams here:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/teams/

Also, Atlus has uploaded their E3 event matches on their youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYP1ztSi2fyEh-mNpFEFpa4ah4XGcDFm9

Edit: Uh yeah, and SNK have re-designed their website:

https://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/

img_catch01.png

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I never liked Richard Meyer as a playable character. I'd rather play Bob Wilson. I was annoyed when they put Richard Meyer in Maximum Impact 2 rather then Bob.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
I kept wondering why I kept on getting a Capcom Fighting All Stars vibe from this game, then this video came out. Bandieras is pretty much Strider. Heck, Zarina reminds me alot of Tiffany from rival schools in terms of sound/design minus the boxing, her special even looks like tiffany's offensive team-up attack.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
nah I don't know about Zarina - that butt slam at 1:36 looks like flowers and a polen cloud are emanating out of her arsehole. the special moves are like something out of a washing powder commercial.

I agree. Not to mention the name of 'Zarina' (which means, basically, the Russian Zar wife of daughter/princess) used for a south American girl, the characters look really bland. Like a very bland latino version of Yuri Sakazaki, say Yuri Sakazaki mixed up with Bob Wilson? Soooo poor. And hearing her squeaking in Japanese (alas, even good ole Blue Mary used English instead) is very nonsensical to me, to the point of being unpleasant. Also, I'm really fed up by these general super moves, hyper moves, MAX moves that are, basically, just a stupid, ridiculously fast rush of punch and kicks. I guess that's due to the cinematic need of some kind of 'dramatic duration' for the moves themselves but gosh, just gimme a break. They all feel like ryuukou ranbu lookalike. I've had enough already.

Still better than Sylvie though. :-(

Last edited:

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Have you guys noticed Nelson's bionic arm switches between his right and left arm in this video?
haha

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
What do you expect from a 2D sprite game?

Errr..

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Have you guys noticed Nelson's bionic arm switches between his right and left arm in this video?
haha

This is common with weapon-wielding characters in fighters with polygonal graphics and 2D gameplay. It's done to keep the animation look the same on both sides. Should have done that with Iori's face though lol.

vega.jpg

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
This last team trailer made up for last weeks, im def going to be using Nelson. The other two look good two, just not my play style.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This is common with weapon-wielding characters in fighters with polygonal graphics and 2D gameplay. It's done to keep the animation look the same on both sides. Should have done that with Iori's face though lol.

View attachment 37141

That really irks me. The hand switching thing is pointless as that existed only due to the limitation of sprites.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I prefer it that way, actually, for both style and gameplay consistency reasons. Imagine if all the animations were reversed on one side (including fight stances, attacks, blocking ..... etc). Wouldn't look right. Had this technique not been used, Vega on the right would be facing the other side, giving us his back in the pic above for example. Plus, you would have problems with moves detection during competitive play.

Last edited:

Steveotron

n00b
Well I like everything I have seen after the initial 3D disappointment wore off. The interview is a good read as well. Glad to see SNK back and focusing on proper games.

I pre ordered it, so am looking forward to august.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I prefer it that way, actually, for both style and gameplay consistency reasons. Imagine if all the animations were swapped on one side (including fight stances, attacks, blocking ..... etc). Wouldn't look right. Had this technique not been used, Vega on the right would be facing the other side, giving up his back in the pic above for example. Plus, you would have problems with moves detection during competitive play.

The hit boxes would be identical though, wouldn't they? Maximum Impact 1 and 2 pulled it off quite nicely and competitive play didn't suffer for it at all.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Mkx has a number of issues related to which stance characters are in. Im not sure if it ever had any effect on competition though.

I don't really want to see vega's ass every time he's on the p2 side.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The hit boxes would be identical though, wouldn't they? Maximum Impact 1 and 2 pulled it off quite nicely and competitive play didn't suffer for it at all.

Not sure about hit boxes, but what I meant is that you would have a much easier time visually understanding what your opponent is doing before you react to it if animations looked the same on both sides. Especially important when a simple overhead attack can cost you 50% of your health meter if you don't react to it on time.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Not sure about hit boxes, but what I meant is that you would have a much easier time visually understanding what your opponent is doing before you react to it if animations looked the same on both sides. Especially important when a simple overhead attack can cost you 50% of your health meter if you don't react to it on time.

yep. I remember another 2.5D game (KoF MI...SFEX...MK...I cant really remember) that didn't do the mirroring thing and I do remember it caused all kinds weird issues. I'm glad that they do it like this.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Some screenshots while we wait for today's trailer (Team Mexico, showing Ramon)

Cl93hg0UoAAgzWY.jpg ClZRsppUgAAsKNP.jpg
CmhLbmcVUAAjTSh.jpg CmurJ0jUcAA_2aL.jpg

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Ha! Butt!

Xanadu's jacket is clipping through his thigh in that screenshot.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Atlus announced KOF14 will have a side tournament in EVO this year.

And Viva La Mexico:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Lokks really good, I have not seen any signs of blood in any move yet which is a shame