What's your least favorite console generation?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
generation 1. 2600/ colecovision/ intellivision era.

so much of it just does not translate well for me anymore.
Ditto those consoles haven't aged well.I know others who have fond memories of those consoles,but i can't get into them despite growing up on them.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
My least favorite is probably this one, so far. Every previous generation has at least one great console with must-play games. This generation doesn't yet.

Second least favorite would probably be the Atari generation, I guess.

agree, the current gen consoles suck ass.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My least favorite is probably this one, so far.

Same here. Not enough interesting stuff for me. The cross-platform thing over consoles and PC also makes things even more boring. Everywhere you look, you see the same damn games and game concepts.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Same here. Not enough interesting stuff for me. The cross-platform thing over consoles and PC also makes things even more boring. Everywhere you look, you see the same damn games and game concepts.

for me it's too early to write off this current gen as the worst.

the aaa titles have been rough going for me, but its a paradise of independent game development so far. I am enjoying the freebie downloads from psn+ immensely (more so than the titles i actually own for my ps4). binding of issac, velocity 2x, spelunky, road not taken, dont starve, contrast, and resogun- they have all gotten significant play from me. Knowing i get a couple of "free titles" a month is awesome and for the most part they have been really fun.

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Putting myself in the moment I'd have to say the 5th generation.

Fuck loading times and blocky ass graphics. 2d was MIA and the n64 was the reason I lost interest in gaming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Pre-NES shit because I didn't grew up with it.

I was going to say that the pre NES era is kinds NA to me...I was of gaming age back then but I was very young (I was 11 when the NES came out). I played a Colecovision and 2600 from time to time, but not very often. If anything, I broke my gaming hymen on an Atari 800XL, which I used a ton.

I also don't consider the current generation because save a few games, I'm pretty much out of the gaming scene now. I'll pop in to a Fallout fanboy but other than that, I rarely play modern games.

I would say that 1987-2005 or so was my peak gaming period...which is quite some time actually.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Current generation. With the exception of the WiiU, I see fuck all that looks interesting.

Call of Duty and pretty, but dull racing games? Pass.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
What is it, and why?
Apart from the newer generations of consoles (PS3,Xbox 360,PS4,Xbox One), it would be the 8-bit generation. The NES had some good games like Super Mario Bros 1 and 3, but it couldn't do arcade graphics (big sprites) and voice reproduction like the 16-bit generation could (more or less) do. The PSX was also good because it was the first viable option where the graphics and sound were approaching the arcade, and were light years ahead of the SNES. The Atari 2600 had some good games, and the newer 8-bit/16-bit systems hadn't been released at that stage, so you didn't know what you were missing in terms of graphics/sound.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Current generation. With the exception of the WiiU, I see fuck all that looks interesting.

Call of Duty and pretty, but dull racing games? Pass.

Man...I used to love racing games. Then the racing snobs got too detailed with them and made fuckstick games like Gran Turismo where you have to do oil changes and other annoying shit...

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I can't get into the Atari era stuff for the most part, sold all of that off and don't regret it a bit. That was before my time though, so there's that. Honestly I don't play many retro games other than the 3 generation stuff. I'd say I don't care for the PSX/N64/Saturn era but I do love my Saturn. Haven't touched a N64 in years though. I don't even play NES that much, but it does have a ton of great games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can't get into the Atari era stuff for the most part, sold all of that off and don't regret it a bit. That was before my time though, so there's that. Honestly I don't play many retro games other than the 3 generation stuff. I'd say I don't care for the PSX/N64/Saturn era but I do love my Saturn. Haven't touched a N64 in years though. I don't even play NES that much, but it does have a ton of great games.

Its an aging issue. The NES/SMS, in my opinion, is the point where beyond that, its unusable. The NES/SMS has games that are still playable to this day, some of their libraries are total crap. AKA Smash TV or NARC on the NES...there is absolutely no reason to play those titles now. Contra, Zelda, Metroid, etc...still playable. Nearly all of the 2600 library is just total crap now...it is so awful looking, so awful sounding and the controls are so bad, it's just to painful to enjoy.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
You are right. Especially with examples like Smash TV for NES. Why play an inferior version?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Funny enough…the PS2/GameCube/XBox/Dreamcast generation.

I can't say it's my least favorite exactly but it's the generation I have the fewest games for. I also don't have any of those systems hooked up atm.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My favorite generation is the 8bit-16 bit gen. Nes, Snes, Genny and Neo are my favorite systems. The PCE is good but comes in last place to me during that Gen. I wasn't even born when the Atari was released but to me that is the most unplayable system but I have to give them a pass since that was like the birth of gaming. N64 is another system I have a hard time playing. The ps1 has kind of dropped off the map for me as well although I loved playing it back in the days. I could probably live without the og xbox unless its modded for the romz. It did have some games I really enjoyed like Indigo Prophecy and Halo 2. The Ps2 library has so much goodness that it's hard to knock. The ps3 and 360 are pretty good as well. Don't really know much about the current Gen. So probably whatever gen the n64 belonged to is the worst one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I can't say it's my least favorite exactly but it's the generation I have the fewest games for. I also don't have any of those systems hooked up atm.

I'm an arcade collection kind of guy...literally, the only reason why I have a PS2/GC is because of the Capcom Collections, Mega Man collection, the Street Fighter Ann collection, the Taito Legends collection, SNk Arcade collection, and the Midway Arcade Treasures collections.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
really? my first game ever was smb3 I must've played it through a few times before I graduated to track & field

loved every level

SMB2&3, Double Dragon 2 & 3, Nemo, and Final Fantasy 1 were my world back then and they mark the happiest, most wondrous days of my life.

But looking at that generation objectively, I also wound up playing so many straight up clunkers like Cybernoid, Bart Simpson Attack of the Space Mutants, Total Recall....

There are difficult games and then there are just poorly programed piles of shit with out of control enemy respawns, hideous level design, etc.

Even the "better" games like Batman were fucking dire....who here could ever finish the last stage in that game let alone beat the final boss?

Seemed like they were purposely shit so kids could go out and buy game genies or something.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I'm an arcade collection kind of guy...literally, the only reason why I have a PS2/GC is because of the Capcom Collections, Mega Man collection, the Street Fighter Ann collection, the Taito Legends collection, SNk Arcade collection, and the Midway Arcade Treasures collections.

One of the things I loved when the PSOne was out was the anthology collections; Namco Museum 1-5, Williams/Midway Greatest Hits, Konami Collection, Atari Anniversary Edition Redux. I grew up in the age of Pac-Man, Asteroids, Defender, Galaxian and the like so this was heaven for me.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Atari 2600

Sure it was my first console, but I can't go back to any of those games.

No amount of nostalgia can cure gameplay that antiquated.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Not sure if it counts as a specific generation, but I hated all that Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari and Commodore "Home Computer" shit we put up with in the UK in the early 80's.

They were, for us, the machines that superseded the whole 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision phase, prior to the NES & SMS taking proper hold.

I had a 2600 growing up and then "advanced" to a Commodore 64 with cassette tapes. Piece of shit btw.

Then the whole Amiga 500 & Atari ST era kicked in shortly afterwards. Now, to be fair, the A500 DID blow me away at the time, being able to play stuff like IK+, NARC, Ninja Gaiden Arcade etc at home, with those graphics PRE MD & SNES era... was impressive.

But my beef isn't with the Amiga etc. That was alright.

That pre-16 bit (i.e. the 8-bit) home computer period was utter shite. Not too bad NOW with the modern upgrades such as the use of flash cards etc, but if we appreciate it at the time it occurred, it was horrible. SMS, NES then MD & SNES couldn't get here soon enough for me. I never looked back after that. Ever.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Not sure if it counts as a specific generation, but I hated all that Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari and Commodore "Home Computer" shit we put up with in the UK in the early 80's.

They were, for us, the machines that superseded the whole 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision phase, prior to the NES & SMS taking proper hold.

I had a 2600 growing up and then "advanced" to a Commodore 64 with cassette tapes. Piece of shit btw.

Then the whole Amiga 500 & Atari ST era kicked in shortly afterwards. Now, to be fair, the A500 DID blow me away at the time, being able to play stuff like IK+, NARC, Ninja Gaiden Arcade etc at home, with those graphics PRE MD & SNES era... was impressive.

But my beef isn't with the Amiga etc. That was alright.

That pre-16 bit (i.e. the 8-bit) home computer period was utter shite. Not too bad NOW with the modern upgrades such as the use of flash cards etc, but if we appreciate it at the time it occurred, it was horrible. SMS, NES then MD & SNES couldn't get here soon enough for me. I never looked back after that. Ever.

I pretty muich agree with NGN.
I liked the CBS Collecovision for Zaxxon, at the time....But generally I can' be doing with the pre 16bit era.
Gaming came of age with the 16bit consoles.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I pretty muich agree with NGN.
I liked the CBS Collecovision for Zaxxon, at the time....But generally I can' be doing with the pre 16bit era.
Gaming came of age with the 16bit consoles.
For me, the Colecovision is the only decent console to be found from the pre-NES & SMS era.

Coleco has decent gfx and some great arcade ports (as you mentioned, Zaxxon). Mr Do, LadyBug and Space Fury are still decent too. Still some good stuff on the Coleco. Literally, AS far back as I'm willing to go tbh.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
There are difficult games and then there are just poorly programed piles of shit with out of control enemy respawns, hideous level design, etc.

Even the "better" games like Batman were fucking dire....who here could ever finish the last stage in that game let alone beat the final boss?

Seemed like they were purposely shit so kids could go out and buy game genies or something.

I highly doubt Sunsoft Japan was thinking about game genie sales when they were developing Batman.

That's not to say some of the western companies that developed most of the poorly designed clunkers you've mentioned weren't though.

Most well designed console games are easy by nature. Conversely, most poorly designed console games are difficult by nature.

Console titles with both a superior design quality and high difficulty level should be cherished. As far as action/platforming is concerned, they were in the minority.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I pick 8th gen, getting tired of this crap. Overpriced consoles, overpriced games, literally nothing to play, yet every man and his dog is killing each other just like last time this shit came around. Why does everyone suddenly care so much for OMG PS4XBONE? I need a legitimate reason to want a brand new console, not just its very presence.

The only 8th gen hardware I even remotely like is the Wii U and 3DS, they have games I enjoy.

Nintendo came out with the arcade VS System that was the basis of the home NES

The NES was released first, with arcade repackaging coming later.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Man...I used to love racing games. Then the racing snobs got too detailed with them and made fuckstick games like Gran Turismo where you have to do oil changes and other annoying shit...

Yeah I used to love ARCADE style racers. Like Outrun, Rush 2049, Daytona Usa, Sega Rally, Hydro Thunder. Even got into some games like Tokyo Xtreme Racer and Burnout... I think Burnout 3 was the last new racing or driving game I've played apart from Mario Kart 8.