Which PC-ENGINE variation is the best?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I love the look of the briefcase combo, I found a guy that that re-caps the system, replaces the cd gear, and will do a region mod, so I can play my turbo Grafx hu cards and PCE. Think I'm going that route, thanks for the advice gents.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I love the look of the briefcase combo, I found a guy that that re-caps the system, replaces the cd gear, and will do a region mod, so I can play my turbo Grafx hu cards and PCE. Think I'm going that route, thanks for the advice gents.

you found me then?

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Another vote for Duo-R. Initially I was annoyed / overwhelmed with all the console choices for PCE, but the system really grew on me and I ended up getting a CoreGrafx too just because it is so damn neat. I always liked the look of the briefcase though, just seemed like a more demanding version of the console in terms of maintenance.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
We had this topic a few months back.

PC Engine Duo-R all the way.

CDs are region free all over the world.

If you absolutely must be able to play US HuCard games, then you can get the card slot modded. Otherwise, EverDrive.

The hardware's the most reliable. Japanese PCE Duos and US Turbo Duos have more finicky CD-ROM drives, and they typically need to be recapped due to the capacitor plague.

With the PCE Duo-R, you may only ever need to buy two add-ons: the arcade card, and the multiplayer adapter (and the subsequent controllers). Just about everything else works without a clusterfuck worse than the Genesis/CD/32X combination.

The end.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I too recommend the Duo-R. If I didn't have the Duo-R, I would've kept my Briefcase setup.

For Hucard only, Core Grafx and an Everdrive works well. Want to play the American HuCard releases? Dump them into an Everdrive.

If you want to go for the Hammerhead look, SuperGrafx and Super CD ROM 2 will get you there.

Stay away from the original Duo.

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I may make a suggestion, if you are looking to add a CD system to your PCE or TG16, look for the Arcade Card Pro. With the TG16, you will need a converter, so the Japanese system would be the better way to go. Especially when many of the Japanese games that are hard to find for the US system are a little less expensive.

My ignorance may show here as I have a TG16 with converter and CD player that was repaired using modded gears. (I bought it on eBay, so if the person who fixed it and sold it there is here, many thanks!) I need the Arcade Card Pro to play the Arcade CD games, but it also doubles as a Super System 3 card. Here is where I may be off, but I believe the PC Engine Duo and Duo-R would only need the Arcade Card. And, that is only if you want to play some of the Neo Geo ports that were made for the system back then. Which, for the power the system had, I thought were really good ports to the system. Just my opinion there.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
If I may make a suggestion, if you are looking to add a CD system to your PCE or TG16, look for the Arcade Card Pro. With the TG16, you will need a converter, so the Japanese system would be the better way to go. Especially when many of the Japanese games that are hard to find for the US system are a little less expensive.

My ignorance may show here as I have a TG16 with converter and CD player that was repaired using modded gears. (I bought it on eBay, so if the person who fixed it and sold it there is here, many thanks!) I need the Arcade Card Pro to play the Arcade CD games, but it also doubles as a Super System 3 card. Here is where I may be off, but I believe the PC Engine Duo and Duo-R would only need the Arcade Card. And, that is only if you want to play some of the Neo Geo ports that were made for the system back then. Which, for the power the system had, I thought were really good ports to the system. Just my opinion there.

system card 3.0 plays the vast majority of titles. arcade card gets access to all. depending on how much you want the titles is whether or not you need the arcade card. the duo basically plays 3.0 requirement and below.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Duo, duo-r, duo-rx or Super cd-rom 2 needs arcade card duo, the old setup (anything else) needs arcade card pro.

Last edited:

hashiriya1

n00b
I have the most impractical setup. A SuperGrafx connected to a Briefcase unit via RAU-30 adapter. The damn thing takes up a whole shelf.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Yeah system Card 3 will suffice for me. Everdrive is cool, but it's on back order and runs around 160 for basically running emulation. I can do this on my pc or mame arcade. I'm a collector, I enjoy playing my physical copies. Tons of great advice though!

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Thanks for filing me in on the region bit guys, I think I'll pick up a Duo-R.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Yeah system Card 3 will suffice for me. Everdrive is cool, but it's on back order and runs around 160 for basically running emulation. I can do this on my pc or mame arcade. I'm a collector, I enjoy playing my physical copies. Tons of great advice though!

Ha ha, who pays $160 for a TED? Oh a fool does

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I stand corrected that was a deluxe edition (whatever that means) for 160. The standard is 119, regardless more then I have any interest in paying.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Ha ha, who pays $160 for a TED? Oh a fool does

I'm surprised Stone Age Gamer does so well with these extremely marked up Everdrives. People must not know you can order them direct without all the extra tchotchkes.

The TED is great. It's great for playing fan translations and those extremely expensive games on original hardware.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Everdrive is cool, but it's on back order and runs around 160 for basically running emulation.
Emulates the game card to play on the original console. Don't get that mixed up with console emulation on your computer. You still can collect if you want. Keep your collection pristine (read: sealed, up on a shelf for show, VGA Graded, etc.) and just play the games off of the TED.

...$160? Not really worth it. I paid less that a total of $100 for both the TED and a 3D printed shell.

I think we group buy them for +\- $65
capnd77: you should get in on this.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Huh.. didn't realize this, I'll keep an eye out for a group buy. Question? Is there a Rom for the arcade card?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Huh.. didn't realize this, I'll keep an eye out for a group buy. Question? Is there a Rom for the arcade card?

You won't get very far by loading the arcade card bios onto an everdrive. The arcade card is a ram supplement to the system. Even if loading the arcade card bios into the everdrive does work, you'll find that the flash ram will go bad in no time because the max number of rewrites has been reached in no time.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Play CD games on a modded xbox, lasers hold up better.

Shuttle for the cards.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have the most impractical setup. A SuperGrafx connected to a Briefcase unit via RAU-30 adapter. The damn thing takes up a whole shelf.

Heck yeah, it's my favorite setup! I stack mine on separate levels on the shelf. It's a behemoth, and I absolutely love it!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
This is actually a very convenient thread since I tried looking up PC engine stuff not too long ago and was overwhelmed at the options, types of media, and types of expansions/improvements. Nice to see this can be condensed. So easiest setup is duo-r with an everdrive and arcade card duo for the arcade cd rom games?