New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The fact that all of their releases are single player only is rather telling...they're two brothers, right?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Yeah, I think it is two brothers at the center of things. I guess save the rpg hopes for a rom dump of crossed swords 2.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I wonder why this game is more expensive than the last few. I think the preorder for Neo XYX LE was 399 last go around. Well, hopefully it goes towards a better game, it certainly requires a bit more in the megs dept.

powerflower

Banned
Yup...found this little bit of info:

"Redux: Dark Matters is the up and coming space shooting game with fresh scoring elements and an incredible soundtrack composed by Andre Neuman featuring legendary video game composer Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican, R-Type). Featuring HD visuals with in-space, robot blasting, shooting game action. Developed by René Hellwig from NG: DEV.TEAM (GunLord, Fast Striker, Last Hope and DUX) and programmed by KTX Software Development."

Ahh, THX for clarification:)

And yes Chris Huelsbeck is king as well as Raphael Dyll, check out his awesome killer mega OST on Soeldner X2 on PS3;) BTW Soeldner X2 was really something fresh and original speaking of euro shmups. Now NG Dev your turn. I'll volunteer for play mechanics, haha, seriously.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
You never know, I think they could make a gauntlet or seiken densetsu style game. Then again, would the people paying 400 euro for a shmup want a change of pace at this point?
It's fine. And continually making shmups is fine. Just like remastering DUX/REDUX for Neo is just 'fine'.

A game like Razion is 'fine' for those who already own every NeoGeo game known to man. But, it's not (going to be) better than Pulstar or Blazing Star, which on MVS can be had for much cheaper, so from that standpoint, it's kinda redundant imo - especially at that price point.

At least Gunlord was something different that validated the outlay and Fast Striker was, imo, a different yet exceptional vertical shooter experience for your Neo. It made more sense to go Vertical tbh when taking these new, ambitious projects on, as Vertical shooters is an area where the Neo is particularly average imo. By contrast, it's a much harder sell vs the quality of Hori Shmups you already have available for Neo (LResort, BStar, Pulstar etc).

Hell, maybe they should even try a spiritual successor to Viewpoint? Seems they have the pre-rendered's down.

A proper run n gun style shooter (as opposed to the exploratory gameplay found in GL)... or a Gunlord sequel? I presume, based on the LHope > Gunlord genre traversing antics, that it may end up being a trilogy and that the 3rd game in the series may well be a different type of game again (beat em up, overhead run n gun where you play as BOTH Gordian and Vanessa etc).

Possibilities are pretty open... so, should probably just siphon funds from the community for a DUX ver.3 in the meantime, instead...

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
And there's that too.

Why not really?
I would love a pier solar type of game...!
After all why should neo geo be only fighters and shooters?I understand that mvs titles should be fighters and shooters only as you couldn't really play an rpg on a coin op machine but aes is a home console...why limit the choices?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
A game like Razion is 'fine' for those who already own every NeoGeo game known to man. But, it's not (going to be) better than Pulstar or Blazing Star, which on MVS can be had for much cheaper, so from that standpoint, it's kinda redundant imo .

Dont be so sure. I reckon XYX is better than Pulstar or Blazing star

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Why not really?
After all why should neo geo be only fighters and shooters?I understand that mvs titles should be fighters and shooters only as you couldn't really play an rpg on a coin op machine but aes is a home console...why limit the choices?

No.

Kindly leave the stage --------->

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I bit the bullet. Just pre ordered the regular edition. It's pretty much filling up the credit card. Hopefully it turns out better than the Dux games.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
A game like Razion is 'fine' for those who already own every NeoGeo game known to man. But, it's not (going to be) better than Pulstar or Blazing Star, which on MVS can be had for much cheaper, so from that standpoint, it's kinda redundant imo - especially at that price point.

I don't agree with your logic here at all. You're against redundancy yet you're a fan of the Neo Geo?......I'm scratching my head on that one. Can you really be serious? Also, why does everything need to be better than Pulstar and Blazing Star in order to justify it's existence? I suppose SNK should have stopped producing fighting games after KoF'98 or MOTW then too. Sorry, that just makes no sense to me. Your entire post just gives me a headache.

Why not really?

I'm only speaking for myself on that one. I'm sure as hell not going to be sitting at my cab playing an RPG.....never gonna happen.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
But do you really need the hardware to be the Neo Geo? More people own a SNES or MD... it is more cost efficent to develope for those platforms, so if a lot more time is needed to make a classic RPG than a smup, you'd go with that hardware, to cover your costs (by selling to a larger crowd and paying less for cart production) right?

NeoGeoNinja

A game like Razion is 'fine' for those who already own every NeoGeo game known to man. But, it's not (going to be) better than Pulstar or Blazing Star, which on MVS can be had for much cheaper, so from that standpoint, it's kinda redundant imo - especially at that price point...

I don't agree with your logic here at all. You're against redundancy yet you're a fan of the Neo Geo?......I'm scratching my head on that one. Can you really be serious? Also, why does everything need to be better than Pulstar and Blazing Star in order to justify it's existence? I suppose SNK should have stopped producing fighting games after KoF'98 or MOTW then too. Sorry, that just makes no sense to me. Your entire post just gives me a headache.

I'll reiterate, if it helps?

Razion: great opportunity to spend £400(!) on a game for your NeoGeo in 2014 BUT... IF you don't already own Pulstar, Blazing Star or Last Resort, then I propose that superior options are available at a FRACTION of the price of this release.

IF... you already own those AND you've played them to death for the past 2 decades, then go ahead and knock yourself out.

SNK (pretty much) stopped producing fighting games after MOTW btw. Just to be a dick about it. But good KOFs were still had after 98 imo and can still be had for reasonable prices.

I just think, that if you have £400+ kicking around, depending on your library and prior gaming experiences, that your money could be more wisely spent.

p.s. Have you ever spent any time with a copy/iteration of DUX? Maybe that would put things into perspective a little too...

totoro

But do you really need the hardware to be the Neo Geo? More people own a SNES or MD... it is more cost efficent to develope for those platforms, so if a lot more time is needed to make a classic RPG than a smup, you'd go with that hardware, to cover your costs (by selling to a larger crowd and paying less for cart production) right?

Valid point but why only stick to the old recipe just because it is the easiest thing to do?
I mean i remember back in the saturn days everybody including sega was saying that the console is a 2D graphics powerhouse and was treated as such.Many 2D gems were published but so did a 3D graphics game that is considered one of the best of the console and era as well...panzer dragoon saga.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
So NGDEV games make people wish that they produced RPGs instead of shmups. I think I get it.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Razion: great opportunity to spend £400(!) on a game for your NeoGeo in 2014 BUT... IF you don't already own Pulstar, Blazing Star or Last Resort, then I propose that superior options are available at a FRACTION of the price of this release.

IF... you already own those AND you've played them to death for the past 2 decades, then go ahead and knock yourself out.

SNK (pretty much) stopped producing fighting games after MOTW btw. Just to be a dick about it. But good KOFs were still had after 98 imo and can still be had for reasonable prices.

I just think, that if you have £400+ kicking around, depending on your library and prior gaming experiences, that your money could be more wisely spent.

Dude, you obviously don't get it.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I see the 400 euro will buy you quite a few MVS games (this argument doesnt hold for the AES crowd). Nonetheless, based on their GL, FS, and XYX neo releases, I think the money would be well spent. Also, barring a reprint, good luck finding a copy for a reasonable price after release.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
That's not technically, completely correct though, is it?

HALF of NGDEV (i.e. one of the two who make up NGDEV) was responsible for DUX, DUX 1.5 & ReDUX. Seemingly they just pooled their resources for DUX 3. And gave it a cooler sounding name... thank fuck.

Afaik they are brothers but their companies are completely independent (HUCast is one brother and NGDev is the other).

I was once told by someone first hand that they are completely independent.

Maybe that changed with Razion though, who knows.

NeoGeoNinja

Dude, you obviously don't get it.
Go on then. Genuinely though... I'm not being rude or facetious. Explain 'it' to me.

What's your standpoint on Razion for the NeoGeo, objectively speaking?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So NGDEV games make people wish that they produced RPGs instead of shmups. I think I get it.

Of course. You want the company that has become really good at one genre do something completely different and out of their skillset, then pay the better part of a grand to purchase it. Seems legit.

totoro

It's funny how fast you resort to irony when somebody does not have the same opinion as you...

Well yeah i guess it is better to spend the better part of a grand to purchase another shooter for a console that already has in its library games like Pulstar and Blazing star.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's not my point. Do you think NG Dev would make a good RPG? Would you pay $600 if they made a shitty one just because it wasn't a shooter?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
There is a new photo on their twitter and facebook page, they already changed the size on the ship which was one of my complaints.

10379915_711510938905183_8046603306266362235_o.jpg
"First CRT photo of Razion's Stage 4. Colors of the bullets are off due to CRT blooming. It also shows parts of the new HUD and the smaller ship. A few seconds later the mid boss comes in..."

https://twitter.com/ngdevteam