New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Did it say that when you died originally? It still does when you break the chain for the medals though.
Not on the family friendly DC it doesn't.

Remember, only rapists, murderers and gangstas own/play the NeoGeo, thus, the censorz...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Not on the family friendly DC it doesn't.

Remember, only rapists, murderers and gangstas own/play the NeoGeo, thus, the censorz...

You might see the DC version on small independent VG store shelf or online import store, but probly not the NG version.

I think theres a dip setting to toggle off the language, but I dont recall.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not trying to be too much picky, but... don't you think that some animations and movements are too much rough? I mean, take a look at the first seconds when a giant ship appears on background. The wing's propulsion jet movement is not natural, without accelerations and decelerations as a giant metallic structure would do. Some more frames to do that and the result would be realistic. Same applies to some other enemies. If you go to 2'00" the boss is very well done, but in some way the frame-bounce animation is the same. The boss at 3' is perfectly done instead.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see new games coming to the Neo. Just thinking what's wrong with this one that makes me think that is not my cup of tea.

You are forgetting that it is in outer space, no gravity my friend. Only takes small adjustments to move more.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
NG community really cracks me up.. for a system with like a hundred fighting games, and overall very few shooters, people are going to complain about ANOTHER shooter? Oh the humanity! I get it if you're not a fan of the genre but then shut up and don't buy it then. Personally, i'd be happy if all they did was create shooters and try and perfect it.. there were tons of companies back in the day that only develop one genre or another.. and those companies had huge teams of people. Can you really expect a small indie developer to just whip up any genre of game on a whim? If shooters is what they like to make, and are good at making, that that's what they should be doing.

That being said, Razion looks pretty damn awesome. I usually am not a huge fan of CGI / pre-rendered games, but they seem to have blended this really well and digging the color schemes and overall design. Seems to run very smoothly. I will agree with the comments made about the ship though. I don't overly care for the design of it, but more so the size of the damn thing. It's HUGE!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I agree with you Valgalder, i would rather they just concentrate on shmups and improve their craft game by game than just release a half arsed beat em up or something. Shmups are the types of games that is easier to produce for a small team too.

Also true what you say about there not being that many shooters on the neo, at least not that many good ones. Xyx has been my favourite shmup on the format by far.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
What I found to look strange is the foreground pillars which move thourgh the picture from 0:57 onwards. They kind of judder through the picture.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
Probably a youtube framerate problem .

The ship looks big and clunky but the hitbox is much smaller looking at the video, it's a design choice to make or not make it visible .
Looks a lot like the Redux ship which does show the hitbox .

rdx_s1-0.png

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'd prefer to see the hitbox, especially on a ship that size.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think theres a dip setting to toggle off the language, but I dont recall.

There isn't :-/ I contacted them about this and also Gunlord, wondering if there was some way to switch them to the DC versions through settings or something because I wanted to use them in a coin op setting where there are children. They told me they might patch it in at some point in the future, but it isn't highly likely. Since there isn't that many people who wish to use it for coin-op, there isn't much demand for that kind of update.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'd prefer to see the hitbox, especially on a ship that size.

Absolutely. If the ship is big and the hitbox isn't 1 to 1, you have to have visuals showing where it is. If you can work it into the visual design too (little glowing power core, etc) even better.

Razion is looking pretty cool. Crossing my fingers it runs well. And is actually fun. :p

pipes

Absolutely. If the ship is big and the hitbox isn't 1 to 1, you have to have visuals showing where it is. If you can work it into the visual design too (little glowing power core, etc) even better.

Razion is looking pretty cool. Crossing my fingers it runs well. And is actually fun. :p

Agreed.

One thing is for certain, NG DEV has certainly nailed down the art of boss design and animation......they look pretty incredible.

powerflower

Banned
I appreciate it very much that two guys are pumping out games for the Neo and even it is a Dux/Redux clone the original Dux was designed by ND Dev right?

But for me Redux looks much better because it is more Anime CG and yeah the DC has much more colors to offer, I know. On the Neo they shifted more towards Blazing Star style regarding colors and the color palette is sometimes horribly dithered, the Neo can do better. Also why did they have to copy the starting ship in the background nearly 1 to 1 from Blazing Star? Don't get me wrong, the animations are fantastic and the playmechanics are looking promising but I think there is a bunch of things to polish.

I hope in the future NG Dev will come up with something totally original. Doesn't matter if shooter or an other genre. Or maybe a sprite scaling game? I think the Neo could be a monster in such games like Out Run or Space Harrier since the HW is completely sprite based.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

That's not technically, completely correct though, is it?

HALF of NGDEV (i.e. one of the two who make up NGDEV) was responsible for DUX, DUX 1.5 & ReDUX. Seemingly they just pooled their resources for DUX 3. And gave it a cooler sounding name... thank fuck.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
How hard would it be for them to make an old school rpg instead of another shooter??

pipes

That's not technically, completely correct though, is it?

HALF of NGDEV (i.e. one of the two who make up NGDEV) was responsible for DUX, DUX 1.5 & ReDUX. Seemingly they just pooled their resources for DUX 3. And gave it a cooler sounding name... thank fuck.

Yup...found this little bit of info:

"Redux: Dark Matters is the up and coming space shooting game with fresh scoring elements and an incredible soundtrack composed by Andre Neuman featuring legendary video game composer Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican, R-Type). Featuring HD visuals with in-space, robot blasting, shooting game action. Developed by René Hellwig from NG: DEV.TEAM (GunLord, Fast Striker, Last Hope and DUX) and programmed by KTX Software Development."

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I believe that René Hellwig is the boss and game designer/graphics programmer for Hucast, he also works as graphics programmer for NGDEV where his brother Tim is the game designer/boss .

NeoGeoNinja

How hard would it be for them to make an old school rpg instead of another shooter??
Well, taking XYX, reworking it for NeoGeo and taking DUX/1.5/ReDUX and reworking that too, for NeoGeo, is obviously much easier and cost effective vs maximum profit vs going all out on an 'old school rpg'.

Much easier/profitable...

pipes

Yup, there's just way too much involved in an RPG to make it worthwhile for them I'm pretty sure.

theMot

10 Year Member
Why on Earth would you want to play an RPG on the Neo anyway?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
You never know, I think they could make a gauntlet or seiken densetsu style game. Then again, would the people paying 400 euro for a shmup want a change of pace at this point?

theMot

10 Year Member
If they had to go away from the shmup thing they are doing now I would like to see something like Sensible soccer or a futuristic sports game like Speed Ball 2.

Speedball+2+-+Brutal+Deluxe+%u002528ImageWorks,+1990,+Amiga%u002529_2.png

Something like that isn't too hard to make and would suit the Neo but it would be risky for them to release. People are afraid of things they don't understand :(

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So I think that their business strategy takes into account the fact that their core audience is people who enjoy playing MVS games. Since the majority of MVS titles are your traditional arcade genres (fighters, shooters, what have you), it's actually more of a financial risk to move out of the standard genres. Also, if they did, who's to say they'd get it right? Or if they did, who would buy it just because it was a different genre, albeit one that's almost unproven in the realm of arcade gaming? From a business perspective it's just not feasible.

But would I fucking love something totally different?! Hell yeah! Would it be long enough to suit an RPG or something like that given the limitations of the hardware?? Probably not. And that makes me sad.