The New Fitness thread

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Thought I'd bump this fella...it's been a few weeks.

How is everyone coming along?

since i have moved almost exclusively to single and double track xc riding im no longer about distance. im still good in the 10-15 mile range, but it just kicks the shit out of me now. i'll probably end up back on the road once it gets too cold/ icy to play on the trails but my guess is i can last longer on the mostly flat road now. .

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
since i have moved almost exclusively to single and double track xc riding im no longer about distance. im still good in the 10-15 mile range, but it just kicks the shit out of me now. i'll probably end up back on the road once it gets too cold/ icy to play on the trails but my guess is i can last longer on the mostly flat road now. .

Yeah...that's a totally different skill set. Like anything else that I do, I took it too far with road riding and burnt myself out, trail riding was something I was considering before I decided on tri. In a way, I think that rail riding is more enjoyable that road. Road is the grind/precision/endurance, trail is much more "fun"...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah...that's a totally different skill set. Like anything else that I do, I took it too far with road riding and burnt myself out, trail riding was something I was considering before I decided on tri. In a way, I think that rail riding is more enjoyable that road. Road is the grind/precision/endurance, trail is much more "fun"...

It's what i used to do in college. i was certainly rusty when i started back up, but the skill set is coming back fast. i'm back on intermediate courses right now which adds some fun 'features' you don't see on the pure novice difficulty stuff. i like the moving scenery and the varying difficulty of terrain. keeps me focused. I find when i'm just putzing around on the local tracks and roads i get a little bored with it. not saying mtb is better than road- just different. I do what is more in line with my style.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's what i used to do in college. i was certainly rusty when i started back up, but the skill set is coming back fast. i'm back on intermediate courses right now which adds some fun 'features' you don't see on the pure novice difficulty stuff. i like the moving scenery and the varying difficulty of terrain. keeps me focused. I find when i'm just putzing around on the local tracks and roads i get a little bored with it. not saying mtb is better than road- just different. I do what is more in line with my style.

From a distance, I'l easily admit that trail riding is far more "fun". I look at it this way...I know of many more happy trail riders than I do road riders, especially in my (our) age group.

I know plenty of jovial road riders that are in the 50+ age range...but 20/30's? Not for the most part...road cyclists in that group are fucking competitive and often, pretty miserable to ride with. This is the main reason why I ride solo...

When you're on a long road session, the #'s take over. Speed, average speed, cadence, heart rate, distance, duration...bla, bla, bla...and ocean of data to sift through and obsess over. I know one can simply turn off the Garmin...but I can't. It became a chore...something had to give.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Back up to doing 200-300 pushups/day, sets of 30 or 40. Also trying to switch my diet around a bit, less pasta and rice, more meat :keke: Also, back on the vitamin D, fish oil omegas, multi-vitamin.. dat neon piss :vik:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
When you're on a long road session, the #'s take over. Speed, average speed, cadence, heart rate, distance, duration...bla, bla, bla...and ocean of data to sift through and obsess over. I know one can simply turn off the Garmin...but I can't. It became a chore...something had to give.

the numbers exist on trails too. completion times, etc.. im an analytics whore myself too- so i have things to obsess over too.

Chempop

Good luck ggallegos1! Run safely man. What do you do for water or energy munchies while running? So far I haven’t ever brought water on a run, since i usually pit stop half way at 5 miles before turning around.
I’m going to attempt my first 1/2 marathon before winter sets in (on my own, not in an event).

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Good luck ggallegos1! Run safely man. What do you do for water or energy munchies while running? So far I haven’t ever brought water on a run, since i usually pit stop half way at 5 miles before turning around.
I’m going to attempt my first 1/2 marathon before winter sets in (on my own, not in an event).

Thanks guys. I usually don't hydrate during my runs (bad habit I know) but for longer I go out and back several times. So for example, a 12 mile run I'll run out 3 miles and come back, grab some water and force myself to do another run. It's tough not quitting once you're home, but its doable.

I also use Vega preworkout to keep me energized during my run, since it has ingredients that make sense in the label (ginseng, green tea, etc). In terms of carbs, one of those Gatorade gels will suffice.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I thought I'd pop this in there, but my swimming is just going horribly...and I mean BAD. Within two months, I went from "can't run 1 mile" to a 5K in just over 30 min. I can ride 100K on a bike at this point...

After a month in the pool, I can't swim one fucking lap in the damn thing. One 25yd out, 25yd back lap without gasping and flopping all over the fucking place. I've tried everything...working on form (which isn't bad at the moment per my stroke count), working on breathing...nothing helps. My HR is soaring and I am so out of breath that when I'm 75% of the way back after the turn-around that I literally have to stop and wade the rest of the distance. Sadly, this is the exact same place I was at the day I started.

This is fucking frustrating. I'll have some 60lb overweight guy/gal in their 60's in the next lane to me just swimming back and forth like nothing and here I can't make one fucking lap, even after a month of doing this shit.

Sorry for the bitching but I'm just irritated at my complete lack of progress...

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I thought I'd pop this in there, but my swimming is just going horribly...and I mean BAD. Within two months, I went from "can't run 1 mile" to a 5K in just over 30 min. I can ride 100K on a bike at this point...

After a month in the pool, I can't swim one fucking lap in the damn thing. One 25yd out, 25yd back lap without gasping and flopping all over the fucking place. I've tried everything...working on form (which isn't bad at the moment per my stroke count), working on breathing...nothing helps. My HR is soaring and I am so out of breath that when I'm 75% of the way back after the turn-around that I literally have to stop and wade the rest of the distance. Sadly, this is the exact same place I was at the day I started.

This is fucking frustrating. I'll have some 60lb overweight guy/gal in their 60's in the next lane to me just swimming back and forth like nothing and here I can't make one fucking lap, even after a month of doing this shit.

Sorry for the bitching but I'm just irritated at my complete lack of progress...

Honestly, you could just be over thinking it and stressing yourself out. Try to not focus so much on hr, form, etc and just let it naturally happen. See how that goes

Chempop

I think I just pulled one of my pecs doing pushups, ouch. I suppose I need rest day here and there, this didn’t even happen when I was doing 300-400/day elevated (feet 18” off the ground) pushups last year. Anyway, have only gone out running once this week, I’m going to do 9 miles and when I get back I might see if I can do another 4 to hit that 1/2 marathon distance I’ve been dreaming about. Hopefully my boob doesn’t start cramping lol.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I think I just pulled one of my pecs doing pushups, ouch. I suppose I need rest day here and there, this didn’t even happen when I was doing 300-400/day elevated (feet 18” off the ground) pushups last year. Anyway, have only gone out running once this week, I’m going to do 9 miles and when I get back I might see if I can do another 4 to hit that 1/2 marathon distance I’ve been dreaming about. Hopefully my boob doesn’t start cramping lol.

Band-Aids on your nipples man. I forgot them one on a 12 miler and my right nipple started bleeding. Scared the hell out of the gf.

I got 8mi in today, last semi long distance run untl the marathon next week. Weather is very nice for running (low 50s, dry air, slight breeze).

Good luck on your self made half, don't worry so much for time as for just getting there and doing it. I prefer half marathons as they test your mentality of running without the pain and injury of a full.

Chempop

2hours 12min, that’s how long I ran on the trail today. I think i was the only person in a t-shirt. Took a 15-20min pitstop (not included in my total time) to get a green tea and power bar and walked around as I digested. Unfortunately I don’t have a very accurate way of telling distance, but I definitely ran the 1/2 :vik::buttrock::vik::buttrock::vik::buttrock: for the first time!

Thanks ggallegos1, I keep forgetting about nip-gurads lol. They get raw but I haven’t had any dripping experiences yet, thank god. I think my chest hair forms a bit of a protective nest, still, it’s not enough for the long stretches.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
2hours 12min, that’s how long I ran on the trail today. I think i was the only person in a t-shirt. Took a 15-20min pitstop (not included in my total time) to get a green tea and power bar and walked around as I digested. Unfortunately I don’t have a very accurate way of telling distance, but I definitely ran the 1/2 :vik::buttrock::vik::buttrock::vik::buttrock: for the first time!

Thanks ggallegos1, I keep forgetting about nip-gurads lol. They get raw but I haven’t had any dripping experiences yet, thank god. I think my chest hair forms a bit of a protective nest, still, it’s not enough for the long stretches.
Good shit. I've been trying to improve my stamina but I cut back because it interferes too much with my weightlifting. A long run will really mess up my next squat or deadlift session.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member

Congrats brother, drink a protein shake (or beer, no judgement) and relax!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ok...December bump.

This time around, by "bump" I mean the fucking giant "bump" of fat I now have around my belly.

Many here know this, but I had my appendix removed 11-3...so that put me on my ass for weeks. I was up and walking a mile by day 4...but that was enough to KO me big time. It's amazing how much you can lose that fast.

Either way, per Dr. orders, I resumed running 11-24. .25 mile warmup, 1 mi run, .25 cool down completely kicked the living shit out of me and my gut. Thanksgiving, I felt like someone beat my gut with a bat.

I did go against Dr. orders and resumed lap swimming 11-30 (they wanted me to wait until end of Dec). I have to say, that was FAR easier on my body than running. Not sure why the Dr. thought that was worse for me than running...because running beat me up so much.

Long story short...slowly getting back in the swing of things. What sucks is that Nov 1, I had a triple brick day and did the full amount of the sprint tri (well...sorta). 500yds swimming, 5K run, 15mi bike. It beat me loud, but I did it (I did the swim/run back to back then went home and rode on the trainer). I was feeling great...then 2 days later was in the fucking ER...dammit. I've lost a ton...time to gain it back I guess.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Ok...December bump.

This time around, by "bump" I mean the fucking giant "bump" of fat I now have around my belly.

Many here know this, but I had my appendix removed 11-3...so that put me on my ass for weeks. I was up and walking a mile by day 4...but that was enough to KO me big time. It's amazing how much you can lose that fast.

Either way, per Dr. orders, I resumed running 11-24. .25 mile warmup, 1 mi run, .25 cool down completely kicked the living shit out of me and my gut. Thanksgiving, I felt like someone beat my gut with a bat.

I did go against Dr. orders and resumed lap swimming 11-30 (they wanted me to wait until end of Dec). I have to say, that was FAR easier on my body than running. Not sure why the Dr. thought that was worse for me than running...because running beat me up so much.

Long story short...slowly getting back in the swing of things. What sucks is that Nov 1, I had a triple brick day and did the full amount of the sprint tri (well...sorta). 500yds swimming, 5K run, 15mi bike. It beat me loud, but I did it (I did the swim/run back to back then went home and rode on the trainer). I was feeling great...then 2 days later was in the fucking ER...dammit. I've lost a ton...time to gain it back I guess.

They say that because of the movement your core is doing swimming versus running. Especially if you arch your back towards your dorsal plane, it could pull your stitches. When I had mine, they told me avoid movements such as dead lifts for that reason.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I fell out of my workout routine as I've been doing for the last 3 years due to always putting more work hours and more $$$ ahead of self care. Which doesn't do anything for my happiness and negatively impacts my marriage because I'm at work 50-60 hours a week.

So Ive been declining new clients and taking more time for self care, joined the gym and started up yoga again. Had a personal trainer today. He knew me from 8 years ago when I went from 22% body fat to 9% and in 6 months. He trained me initially. I was hiking 25 miles a week (5x5 miles at 600ft elevation) as well as hitting the gym 4-6 days a week. After doing the usual measurements and talking stuff he put me in this short circuit. I had to break, it was a 3 exercise full body workout. I've never felt so out of shape. But I'm proud that I completed it.
I'm back at 22% body fat and he said going down 5% in two months is obtainable so I'm going to work toward that. Ultimately I want to go down to 10% within 6 months.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
How many fuckin exercise threads does this goddamn nerd forum need

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I've been running with the girlfriend since she's preparing for her first half marathon in May. I try to let her develop her own style and just go along for the ride. I've been gaining some pudge after my last marathon, so there's an incentive to change diet (lessen my beer intake) and run with her. Planning on applying for the NYC Marathon again and the Chicago Marathon (cdamm I'm gonna need your help on post run pizza)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
How many fuckin exercise threads does this goddamn nerd forum need

Fuck you, that's how many.

Ignore this asshole, let's keep this rolling. I'm sort of surprised Joe hasn't contributed to this thread all that much.