CRT Fetish Thread

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I REALLY want to do floating shelves (as I like modern like that), but those are a no-no for a shelf which is something like 20+" deep unless I literally want to strip my wall down to studs to build a sub-frame for something which can hold like 100-200 pounds and be that deep. I'm still trying to figure this out myself (my current re-purposed heavy-duty metal desk is posted a couple pages back which works for now as a stop-gap measure for now).

Yeah I wouldn't be against the large old school metal desk for the time being. It would be cool to see how your idea would turn out. I'm unfortunately not that much of a handyman. I totally hear you about the modern look that floating shelves have. It looks super clean.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Update: All my gaming stuff is moved over and I have all my monitors but my XP29 and Capcom Impress cab. Everything should be there on Saturday :buttrock:

20170607_220249_zps4noy0jwz.jpg

Looking great! One of the fun things about having your own game room is setting it up the way you want it!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Update #2: Cables are all stored away and sorted. Monitors are roughly where they will be and space has been made for my Sony XBR and Impress cab. Everything will get moved into place tomorrow :buttrock:

20170609_212648_zpsuqp99isl.jpg

20170609_212943_zpsbk18mbol.jpg

20170609_212722_zpskrd7tkb2.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do cab CRT's qualify in the fetish category, cuz I feel like my compulsion with my cabs' CRT's is bordering on fetishness.

Donkey Kong cab - CRT that came in it was a bit washed out, bought a replacement that came up on craigslist locally. Sent off the chassis that came in the cab to be recapped (before I was doing this for myself). Swapped the original monitor and re-capped chassis back in, still wasn't satisfied. Eventually realized it was a DK jr. monitor assembly, and both monitor assemblies I now had for the cab had more burn than I could tolerate. Tracked down an original DK monitor assembly with minimal burn (I mean unnoticeable unless the bezel is off and the monitor is in direct light). Swapped it in. Pulled the chassis and recapped it. Bought a test pattern generator, and messed with convergence until it got really good. Spent significant time color and white balancing. Now, I'm happy with it.

Capcom Big Blue - Flyback fried and did some extensive damage to the chassis. Bought and installed a replacement chassis. Sent off the original chassis, since the damage was deeper than I was troubleshooting at the time. Got it back, it was never "quite right" after getting fried and repaired. Monitor also had some minor "Insert Coin" burn, and a 3/4" scratch in the middle of it. Picked up an identical replacement (WG 25K7193) off of craigslist, with no burn. Recapped that chassis and replaced the flyback. Swapped it into the cab and discovered it had some heavy geometry issues, and the colors were still washed out after re-cap and flyback. Pulled it back out. Started from square 1 per the K7000 manual with converging, placing convergence strips, etc. Rejuved it. Put it back in. Spent significant time white and color balancing. Now it looks great!

MAME cab - originally a Wei-Yah 826HR or somesuch chassis, which was in desperate need of a re-cap. No info online about this chassis, tho. Did some measuring on the yoke, and determined that a K7000 should work on the monitor. Also, the cab had a standard 10-pin signal connector which mates up with a K7000, but was jimmy-rigged on the Wei-Yah. Recapped the first replacement K7000 that I got for Big Blue. Swapped it into the MAME cab. Spent significant time white and color balancing. Now it looks great!

Aero City - colors looked decent when I got it, but there was a curl at the top that was getting worse with time. Re-capped the chassis, had a wrong cap in the kit for one of the caps, which prevented it from powering (see thread on that subject around here somewhere). After weeks of posting across multiple forums, the culprit cap was finally identified and the original put back in. Curl is gone. Spent a little time white and color balancing, image looks pretty good, need to spend some more time dialing it in to perfection. A bit of off-convergence at the corners, the convergence strips probably just need a bit of tweaking.

Jaleco Lo Pro - original tube had a ton of burn. Swapped in the tube that came out of the Big Blue (with the light burn and scratch). Capped the original chassis. Rejuved the tube. Spent significant time white and color balancing. It looks great. Wasn't tolerable in my Big Blue, but is a massive improvement over the burned trash that came in this cab.

TL;DR version - I am extremely OCD when it comes to video image on my cabs. :crying:

Sucks for you then since pretty much every cab monitor has some type of issue ;)

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If anybody has the SERVICE Manuals for these JVC monitors please let me know (I'm striking out online - even the pay-per-manual sites seem to only have the supplemental pages and not the complete manuals).

JVC TM-H1700G
JVC TM-1650SU

Thank you in advance!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Your setup is going to be sick.

Thanks man :) I have everything in place and just need to start running a million cords. I also need to pick up a bunch of SCART cables. Nothing will be hooked up yet, but I will probably get some pics up in the next couple days. It's pretty intense in there lol

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Mike - Keeps us updated please!

Can do! I've been moving a ton of stuff over the last few days, so I haven't had much time to get anything hooked up yet. This is everything staged where it is going to be. The cabling nightmare begins. I'm probably going to just wait until my gscartsw comes before I get everything hooked up.

20170614_075316.jpg20170614_075341.jpg
20170614_075452.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
....do you really need all those screens? DO YOU?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
....do you really need all those screens? DO YOU?

The more the better! How else does one pull of demonstration videos on the "Tubes"? Check out CRTCade, I think his is still growing!

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So, here is something a little different for the CRT thread.

I picked up two of these in really good condition.

They are SONY VPH-1271Q

14978295578031448128744.jpg

Got remotes and other cables and gear with them. should make for some fun games once I get them set up.

Anyhow, does anyone here have any experience with crt projectors and is there anything I need to know when I start in on this?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
After getting my 14L5 repaired, I've been playing through Final Fantasy 5 as part of the Four Job Fiesta using the Game Boy Interface. I never tried GBI before. I think maybe it was harder to setup back in the day? After getting the SD card reader, it took me ~3 minutes to be up and running games in 240p. Love it.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
After getting my 14L5 repaired, I've been playing through Final Fantasy 5 as part of the Four Job Fiesta using the Game Boy Interface. I never tried GBI before. I think maybe it was harder to setup back in the day? After getting the SD card reader, it took me ~3 minutes to be up and running games in 240p. Love it.

We need to see some pics :)

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Ugh, was having trouble getting good photos. These were the best of the bunch (and they're still not great):

279tqB7.jpg

Vqouqkt.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Ugh, was having trouble getting good photos. These were the best of the bunch (and they're still not great):

279tqB7.jpg

Vqouqkt.jpg

Taking CRT pics is always a pain. Looks great though :) That's how every GBA game should be played. After playing for awhile I bet a 14" screen never felt so big :keke:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I did some grinding on my GBA SP-101 and it felt really small. There's a lot of detail in the battle backgrounds you just don't appreciate on such a small screen.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I know you're pain of trying to take clean CRT pics but they didnt come out too bad.

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
OK I'm at a loss here... I got an external amp, but I have no idea how to connect it to my PVM 2950 or PVM 2130. Does anyone have pics how to connect this?

PVM 2950: BNC breakout cable unplugged the 2 stereo connections, instead I have a stereo cable running from my amp to this. Speaker wires I have attached to my amp.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
OK I'm at a loss here... I got an external amp, but I have no idea how to connect it to my PVM 2950 or PVM 2130. Does anyone have pics how to connect this?

PVM 2950: BNC breakout cable unplugged the 2 stereo connections, instead I have a stereo cable running from my amp to this. Speaker wires I have attached to my amp.

Can you take some pictures? I had a bit of trouble getting my pvm to sync at the beginning.