AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

fr33m4n

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It's just me... I didn't like the Logo!

Buuuuttttttt... The logo can avoid these "cases" to be cloned by some cheap chinese brand. Put a "Made in USA" too. It will be awesome!

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug
Genre specific backgrounds would be great!

I'm looking forward to the kickstarter page – I would replace all of my carts; since I'm just starting with the MVS it would be manageable at the beginning and could be ramped up as the collection grows.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Omega case was made in US, perhaps he will do the same with the shells

is the kickstarter for the shells and the new controller or just the shells?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's just me... I didn't like the Logo!

Buuuuttttttt... The logo can avoid these "cases" to be cloned by some cheap chinese brand. Put a "Made in USA" too. It will be awesome!

It's supposed to say Made in USA on it. That blurry mess underneath the omega symbol is the text in question. I'll post up a picture of how it's supposed to look in the 3D models. And yes, it will be made in USA just like the Omega system.

The kickstarter is just for the cartridge shells. I'll be financing the joysticks myself.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I'm loving how quickly progress is being made on these. Can't wait to have a few of my own!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
This is what the backside will look like in the final product.

omega_cart_logo_zps841fa65a.png

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
Not really. SNK adorned their AES carts with their logo. It doesn't mean they take ownership of games they didn't make. Just think of it like computer cases. Having an Antec branded case doesn't mean everything inside is Antec. Nobody is chasing them down to remove their logo from the cases.

I'd like to see genre specific colored BGs. Red for the fighters, blue for action/shooters, green for sports and yellow for puzzles.

^^This. Amazing/Best idea yet!

Genre specific backgrounds would be great!

This thread just gets better and better. Where have all these people been for the last 15 years?!

I just read these threads and laugh to myself about all these great ideas people come up with, and how everyone loves them. For the record, I think they are great too, and have been great, since 1994 when I was playing MVS on my personally made "super gun", and 1997 when NGF started color coding and branding our products.

These shells make traditional MVS shells look like complete garbage. Congrats on design, and your decision to put your logo on your product, you deserve it!

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Are you also working on labels? I really dig the metal slug label, and the strips from the big red make it look good,

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
These shells make traditional MVS shells look like complete garbage. Congrats on design, and your decision to put your logo on your product, you deserve it!

How many would you like to preorder Chris? :D

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I caught this whole thing in it's infancy when it started but never had time to chime in but now I do.

Personally I'm with the camp that feels that trying to make the MVS format like the home cart format is a silly idea that has had sub-par results (and that is probably being generous). The fact remains that if the right people put thier time, effort, creativity & money into something like this the MVS could have had its own aesthetic & identity that stood stronger on its own but what we have now is this poor mans wannabe home cartridge image that is convoluted & tacky.
With the upswing that has occurred with the MVS market there is much more that could have been achieved.

I was not much a fan of the omega MVS due to it's cheap looking build, un-inspired design & awkward proportions but I will say that the prototype shells that I am seeing here are are step up. There is one blatant problem though and I have to ask the maker: why the decision to use solid black plastic and why in gods name is it glossed?
We have enough of a problem with bootlegs in the MVS market and solid plastics, colored or not, only contributes to the problem. Will you be utilizing clear plastics in production?
In regards to the gloss: did you set that spec? I would think that if you were making MVS cart shells that look "AES" they would at least have the same textured finish. That gloss finish would be a nightmare.

You're comments are always asinine, please turn in your keys to the neo-geo site and return to where you came from. Thanks.

Shadow,

I'd love to start working on these, do you have a template so I know the dimensions?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thamiel, another member here, created the Slug 3 art for me. You can ask him for the photoshop template. He sent me the final picture and I just printed it out. If you just need size, it's 98mmx98mm with 2.5mm corner radius.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
These are the last batch of proto pics. Got them all textured up and looking nice. These are pretty damn close to what the final will look like except the clear one. It will have a light texture like the black and red shells.

omega_shell_final_1_zps45a83d82.png

omega_shell_final_2_zps56240d66.png

omega_shell_final_3_zpse7f3bfe9.png

omega_shell_final_4_zpse99f01a6.png

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Shells look nice, s5.

Yeah, I remember seeing the "shinny" black proto shell at VBA's place.

Looked pretty cool. Nice to finally see the "matted" one--and a clear and colored one too.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
These shells look amazing. I cant wait for these things to hit the market! I know I will be replacing all my stock MVS shells with them once they do.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
they are looking better and better in each revision, going to have to get more than 2 of these now. Perhaps all the MVS carts I have with fake labels.

when do you expect to ship?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Man those look sweet i wouldn't mind replacing some with those shells.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Damn, I didn't expect to be liking these so much.. that red bomberman cart is just.. :O

Now we need to see them sitting in an omega (I'd love to see one sitting in an analogue interactive but that probably wont happen for a while :lolz: )

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Holy balls, you actually did it!

Gad dang these look amazing.

Definitely smiled when I saw the label based off the MS3 Insert I made! :-D

Last edited: