Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I've been charging mine over USB. It charges fine while the device is off, so I'm guessing the dock must just cut power completely to the port when it is switched off. That's actually better for the battery. Honestly, I used my dock for the first day, had some fun, but I think more than anything the stick is going to get used on my computer and the dock is going back in its box. The unit itself is perfectly fine for me ;)

I've been charging my NGX handheld with my cellphone AC charger, works fine. With the unit off, once it's plugged in, the NGX splash logo appears. Then a big green "android" battery appears (filling the whole screen) and cycles to show it's charging. Once fully charged, the battery image stops "filling" and just goes solid. I have an older cellphone, Motorola Droid X (soon to be upgraded).

As for your assessment of the NGX system, I feel the same. The sleeper hit in this package is clearly the USB arcade stick; it's excellent! The handheld is very nice, my only complaint is that they could have used a better screen. However, the handheld's little clicky-stick is also outstanding. This is what separates this unit from a PSP running Neo Geo Station games; although the games look better on the PSP, they control better on the NGX due to the stick. Overall I'm very happy with the package, considering the relatively low cost. And they did a great job with the packaging, branding, and nostalgia factor.

Finally, hadn't played Ninja Master's in years; what a fantastic game! Never owned the AES cart, and I think I don't have the MVS cart either (all of those are in storage, and I have no CMVS or cab right now).

There are a lot of good elements to this package; with a better screen on the handheld, this would have been beyond fantastic. As it is, its still a nice little blast from the past!

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Ordered one through Best Buy. They called back to verify the order so I asked how the item is being shipped. They stated that they aren't using shipping bags and are only using boxes with air bags/stuffing. I'll post back on the condition upon arrival.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Am I the only one who thinks the volume level is pretty low even when cranked all the way up? Thats my biggest complaint so far.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
The volume and the brightnessI think are a bit lacking. I bought some Turtle Beach headphones yesterday at Best Buy and even with those plugged in the system seems a bit quite. Loud enough to play but still a bit quiet.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
Am I the only one who thinks the volume level is pretty low even when cranked all the way up? Thats my biggest complaint so far.

For some reason on mine those little speakers are ridiculously loud! I actually have to keep the volume under halfway or it hurts my ears, lol. The sound when connected to the tv through the dock is definitely low for me, about as low as my Pc Engine Duo.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
For some reason on mine those little speakers are ridiculously loud! I actually have to keep the volume under halfway or it hurts my ears, lol. The sound when connected to the tv through the dock is definitely low for me, about as low as my Pc Engine Duo.

I agree. Mine's pretty damn loud too. I keep it on just a very few bars.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Mine came today, well 2 of them, from Best Buy. One was wrapped in the garbage bag, the other in a box full of air bags.

ngx1.jpg

Problem is, the box with air bags had the unit placed on the bottom (with nothing under it), and the box just big enough to accommodate the length. In effect, air bags only protected 3 sides of the box (out of 6 total sides).

The one that arrived in the, "trash bag" is almost perfect, whereas the boxed/airbag one has some dented corners, but nothing serious. Overall, they're in great condition but funny that BB shipped in both a box and in the, "trash bag".

Have to say, on the PVM the system still looks like shit. The video output signal is weak, and there is far too much red in the image (not an issue with the CRT btw).
It's unfortunate because the USB stick is absolutely fantastic.

I have found that the general consensus here is correct: the portable unit is good, the stick is good, the package is mostly worth it, and the video out quality is absolute shit.
I agree with Lantus360 - 7/10

I will wait to see if the others come in and see the condition of the boxes. I feel as though having ordered from BB that I dodged a bullet.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

I agree. Mine's pretty damn loud too. I keep it on just a very few bars.

Gdamnit... Mine is all the way up and not very loud at all. This kind of inconsistant shit pisses me off.

Edit: What version do you guys have. Hit the Menu Button while in the menu. Mine is 337

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On the handheld the volume goes up so loud the speakers distort. I keep it in the middle.

On the dock the output is a little soft, I turn my receiver up to about 50 for normal playback. By comparison, most 16 bit systems are in the 30's. The audio seems pretty good, but I haven't really cranked it yet.

I'll check firmware when I get home.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Gdamnit... Mine is all the way up and not very loud at all. This kind of inconsistant shit pisses me off.

Edit: What version do you guys have. Hit the Menu Button while in the menu. Mine is 337

Mine says 370 as well.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Version 337 here as well, but my audio sounds just right to me. I leave it at about 70% and it's plenty loud for me. How strange that we have different versions when this thing just shipped. I figure they'll get an update eventually, but I guess NTM and I got ones from the very first batch.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
You guys should test it by playing the same game. The audio levels of each game seem to be different.

Bowling at max is a bit too low but comfortable volume, Metal Slug is a bit too loud at max. (for me). FF Special is perfect at max.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I'll check my version when I get home tonight. I had loud volume on FF Special.

Ganelon

n00b
I have 337. Fatal Fury Special sounds reasonable at default 5 in a completely quiet room. At volume 9, it's a bit raucous. I tried using headphones and even at volume 1, the sound was almost too loud.

Speaking of FFS, I wish the designers added (or can add) a universal button config. It's annoying that half the games don't allow button remapping and the NGCD button format is less than ideal for most fighters.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Just tried mine on my plasma. There is input lag. Composite to PVM there is no input lag.

I know that HDTVs can sometimes be responsible for input lag but mine has never had a problem with it and I've played almost every system known to man on it. Games where it would really be noticed like Rockband or League Bowling have no lag on other systems.

However, with NGX on my plasma for example, the League Bowling lag is so bad it's mostly unplayable. Even the sound of the pins getting hit is almost a full second behind the animation.