What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
The Last few days I have been playing Violent Storm, Guardians, Undercover Cops and Hook. Excellent games

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
The Last few days I have been playing Violent Storm, Guardians, Undercover Cops and Hook. Excellent games

Oh man, Undercover cops is great. The Alpha renewal version is where its at. Never played Hook, heard good things about it.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Oh man, Undercover cops is great. The Alpha renewal version is where its at. Never played Hook, heard good things about it.
I am playing Japanese version of UC, blood and tits is there but Japanese text. Hook is very good (at least when played casualy) and there are a lot of selectable characters. I played Peter Pan and reached second boss with one credit. It's a lot easier than UC

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire

Great games, I am still looking for Hook though.

Undercover Cops is fantastic and feels like a Neo Geo game.

Tonight is arcade time again and im gonna fire up Cowboys of Moo Mesa in one of my Astros :)

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Great games, I am still looking for Hook though.

Undercover Cops is fantastic and feels like a Neo Geo game.

Tonight is arcade time again and im gonna fire up Cowboys of Moo Mesa in one of my Astros :)
Hook wasn't very expensive but it is uncommon like most Irem boards. You won't regret adding it to your arcade games. I love Cowboys of Moo Mesa. For me it was difficult to find but I finally was able to locate a pcb 1 month ago. In my favourites run n gun games up there with the slugs.

Happy gaming!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've been having a lot of fun with Final Fight One these past few days.

Here is a no continue/1cc run I did to make things a little interesting. I like the remixed enemy locations and being able to change the colors of your costume. The music remixes are also dope. Only thing that sucks is enemy damage varies quite a bit compared to the arcade and can take off half your health or more depending upon how the game feels. Poison and Roxy's replacement Billy/Sid are also more aggressive and love spamming dive kicks.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Played Guardians yesterday- it is much easier than everything else I've been playing, but its a lot of fun once you start chaining everything together. You can control the rank pretty easily if you keep the combos low. Feels so unfinished though, and has some weird music, but still a fun game. Eventually I'd like to find a copy of the original game, Denjin Makai.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Played Guardians yesterday- it is much easier than everything else I've been playing, but its a lot of fun once you start chaining everything together. You can control the rank pretty easily if you keep the combos low. Feels so unfinished though, and has some weird music, but still a fun game. Eventually I'd like to find a copy of the original game, Denjin Makai.

Denjin Makai is a much more solid game. 1 Life the entire game, so survival is much more riveting. It's more Final Fight'ish in that regard. Real fun game.

Guardians I got bored of very quickly.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Is that your 1CC run?

ChuChuFlamingo1 is my doppelganger from an alternate timeline of earth where Beerstain bears was spelled as Beerstein and all stable air is unstable.

Spoiler:
But yeah that is my run I did for shits and giggles

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh churretas...was I supposed to look at the info or something? I was just watching it through the forums, no recognition to be had when done that way.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Denjin Makai is a much more solid game. 1 Life the entire game, so survival is much more riveting. It's more Final Fight'ish in that regard. Real fun game.

Guardians I got bored of very quickly.

Yeah Guardians can get old, I managed to 1cc it yesterday just by doing basic combos to keep the rank down.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Yeah, it's an easy clear when keeping rank low.

I don't understand what you mean by it feeling "so unfinished".

@ Guardians getting old...have you (or pasky) tried implementing longer combos?

It's really the best part of the game. Although, I do love almost everything about it.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

It's really the best part of the game. Although, I do love almost everything about it.

Oh yeah, I've raised the rank to max on the first boss. I haven't hit any 60+ combos yet, but when I mean unfinished is mainly the music and the enemy variety. I do enjoy the game though, its very fun. Its much easier than the first game, and while I do have some grips with it, overall I do enjoy it. I've only played the first game on SFC though. BTW- did they ever establish a plot in this one? The first game had little plot development, but Girulian was a boss and now he is a player character in the second.

Played a credit of Sengoku 3- I love this game, even though its Gaia Crusaders all over again. Besides the combo system, I like how you can play as the bosses once you reach a certain point. I'll spend more time with it on Friday after work.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, I've raised the rank to max on the first boss. I haven't hit any 60+ combos yet, but when I mean unfinished is mainly the music and the enemy variety. I do enjoy the game though, its very fun. Its much easier than the first game, and while I do have some grips with it, overall I do enjoy it. I've only played the first game on SFC though. BTW- did they ever establish a plot in this one? The first game had little plot development, but Girulian was a boss and now he is a player character in the second.

I don't agree about the music. Enemy variety, well I suppose there can always be more to desire.

As far as the plot goes, there could be something about it here

http://forums.gamengai.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2570&hilit=techno+city

EDIT: you've likely read this one! nevermind Ha!

Last edited:

Pasky

Yea, I've cleared with Jinrei and Tulks. Counter stopped the score using Jinrei doing 99+ combos also. I've played a bit of everyone. I can't answer for RSVG but I can tell you what I do not like about the game.

To me the game feels unfinished because it's lacking any sort of real difficulty, even if you max the rank out on the first boss doing a high combo, if you have an understanding of your characters move lists and the enemies you can get by to the end with a life to spare at the last boss most times. Counter stopping the score isn't exceptionally difficult, there's 2 extends for 4 lives total which is more than enough to beat the game, any combo past 10 hits (I think?) does no damage, and the lack of any voices when performing specials or moves for any of the characters seems empty and quiet for some odd reason. All that leads me to believe they didn't have much play testing time and no time to do any sort of voices, leaving me with the feeling that the game was rushed out the door.

You can definitely tell they put a lot of effort into the game, there's lots of minor things like finding easter eggs such as the squid in the background is in every single stage, also jokes such as the first boss for some reason you blow a hole in the wall when the door is opening :lolz:, there is a ton of that sort of stuff throughout the game, very minor things you don't notice unless you look for them so the developers had a great sense of humor. The combat is great, it's got one of the best combat systems in any beat em up with the combos, supers and variety of moves you can perform.

I think I hate the soundtrack the most though, the entire soundtrack for the game is made of like the same 5-6 samples they use in the title screen.

In my opinion, if the game had some more difficulty to it and a little less of the super armor gimmick on some of the bosses (such as the robots and the last boss) it'd be a lot better. Also a better soundtrack :lolz:. Definitely not a bad game but I got bored of it pretty quick as I didn't feel any sort of satisfaction in completing it after I learned the game. It's really fucking fun to do Tulks wrestling moves and shit. Cool game to pop a credit into, but after that credit I just don't feel like playing it again for quite a while. I get my fix very quick so to speak.

Just my opinion on the game.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ I definitely agree about the effort put in regarding the little details (easter eggs, jokes, dino bikers puking). I do see the deficits you've described, and how the game could be considered a little..hmm lopsided. This has never detracted from my enjoyment though (I will say, I've never thought twice but the absence of voice samples, that's surely a "rushed" trait).

I suppose I'm sold on the existence of such a combo romp of game that happens to have a pace/difficulty level that's the arcade game equivalent of "easy listening". I am biased, as far as the music is concerned. Despite the lack of instrument variety, I love the compositions.

I've never done much with Jinrei as far as long combos go. What moves of his are the building blocks for these? The down stabs, air back kicks and back attacks? I've never been able to do much with him.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I don't agree about the music. Enemy variety, well I suppose there can always be more to desired.

As far as the plot goes, there could be something about it here

http://forums.gamengai.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2570&hilit=techno+city

EDIT: you've likely read this one! nevermind Ha!

Oh wow, blast from the past. I remember at that time I was putting in serious time with Guardians in mame. I was easily able to 1cc it with Girulian back then. I've forgotten most of those combos though.

Eventually I want to be able to do this combo:

Pasky

Yes, the downstabs and horizontal tornado attack he has. There was a video on youtube but unfortunately the account has been disabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swcuVi7urlg (unsure if theres any sites that can retrieve it).

I wish I could capture a video to show ya, but it's the only fucking game I have I can't actually capture (it doesn't even sync in my blast city cabinet, BOTH PCBS I HAVE!), basically you keep them juggled with attacks using the downstab, then do the horizontal tornado to move them back to the corner, once the meter starts to burn out you spend HP for POW meter to keep the combo going so you can keep doing the tornado if you're going for the 99 hit.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Oh wow, blast from the past. I remember at that time I was putting in serious time with Guardians in mame. I was easily able to 1cc it with Girulian back then. I've forgotten most of those combos though.

Eventually I want to be able to do this combo:

Gamengai rulez. I can do a half-assed version of that combo. I'd like to perform the whole thing someday too...

Yes, the downstabs and horizontal tornado attack he has. There was a video on youtube but unfortunately the account has been disabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swcuVi7urlg (unsure if theres any sites that can retrieve it).

I wish I could capture a video to show ya, but it's the only fucking game I have I can't actually capture (it doesn't even sync in my blast city cabinet, BOTH PCBS I HAVE!), basically you keep them juggled with attacks using the downstab, then do the horizontal tornado to move them back to the corner, once the meter starts to burn out you spend HP for POW meter to keep the combo going so you can keep doing the tornado if you're going for the 99 hit.

Cool, thanks. Expect a PM regarding this combo in the near future...

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
[video]http://vid897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/salvog/NGsexyTime_zpsfgh6schg.mp4[/video]

Name that game.
Finally got some time to enjoy it today - hands down the best of it's series.
Got my ass kicked a bit until I got the hang of it.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
[video]http://vid897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/salvog/NGsexyTime_zpsfgh6schg.mp4[/video]

Name that game.
Finally got some time to enjoy it today - hands down the best of it's series.
Got my ass kicked a bit until I got the hang of it.

You son of a bitch lol. Good stuff bro, glad your enjoying it. Nice Big Red by the way.