What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

geise

Mickey's Coach
I am trying to figure out where to put Monster Maulers / Kyukyoku Sentai Dadandarn. I have always thought of it as a hybrid game sort of. Seems like a boss fight battle with a bit of beat em up style near the end. I play it a lot on the supergun but haven't really mentioned it here for the above reasons.

Last edited:

beecee

n00b
certainly not gonna read through 50 pages worth of posts.
you press a button, and the action is punch or kick...

but i now stand corrected. :smirk:

but on topic, i have been playing TMNT on my mamed X-box, trying to get my kid into old school arcade retro gaming on the SFC. it been a blast and she even like it.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
lol

Did you buy Violent Storm without ever playing it? "No idea what the fuck this is, but everyone wants it so guess I'll buy it."
If you read online reviews and what other people say in the forums about this game, everything is positive. If you find the pcb in good condition you simply buy it. Mine has a recapped Konami audio module (known to leak and corrode the pcb arround it). Raccaping it requires expert soldering skills.
Yeah, Violent Storm is great! I enjoy the lighthearted approach it has.
Color palette is unique. It combines apocalyptic atmosphere while using vibrant colors to express it. Great

Foes in Violent Storm remind me of the Streets of Rage ones.
Do people prefer Violent Storm to Streets of Rage 2 or 3?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
If you read online reviews and what other people say in the forums about this game, everything is positive. If you find the pcb in good condition you simply buy it. Mine has a recapped Konami audio module (known to leak and corrode the pcb arround it). Raccaping it requires expert soldering skills.

Ya man, all those recent reviews of an old ass game say its real good, should hop right on it. Recapping the audio module doesn't take "expert soldering skills" it's just some SMD capacitors and most repairers then spray paint the damn thing black like retards.

Whatever, enjoy the game I guess. One of the few beat em ups that is difficult to enjoy unless you know all the broken shit otherwise you won't get very far. Trying to play that game fairly without knowing things like Boris's OTG grab loops just ends in failure because Konami.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Ya man, all those recent reviews of an old ass game say its real good, should hop right on it. Recapping the audio module doesn't take "expert soldering skills" it's just some SMD capacitors and most repairers then spray paint the damn thing black like retards.

Whatever, enjoy the game I guess. One of the few beat em ups that is difficult to enjoy unless you know all the broken shit otherwise you won't get very fair. Trying to play that game fairly without knowing things like Boris's OTG grab loops just ends in failure because Konami.

Yeah, there is a lot that isn't explained in that game, the otg throws, the weight mechanic, ect. Still a great game, for me it is on par with Final Fight.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Color palette is unique. It combines apocalyptic atmosphere while using vibrant colors to express it. Great

What a crock of shit. If you find the pcb "You simply buy it" seriously, get lost.

Comparing Violent Storm to SOR games exposes you even more as a fool. Find a new hobby.

Yeah, there is a lot that isn't explained in that game, the otg throws, the weight mechanic, ect. Still a great game, for me it is on par with Final Fight.

The mechanics are great. It's really the only Konami title that has mechanics on par with Capcom's offerings.
It's an exciting game!

I can't fathom clearing the second loop though.

certainly not gonna read through 50 pages worth of posts.
you press a button, and the action is punch or kick...

but i now stand corrected. :smirk:

Maybe you should read through them.

I am trying to figure out where to put Monster Maulers / Kyukyoku Sentai Dadandarn. I have always thought of it as a hybrid game sort of. Seems like a boss fight battle with a bit of beat em up style near the end. I play it a lot on the supergun but haven't really mentioned it here for the above reasons.

This is game fits into an odd and exclusive category for sure. Metamoqester/ONI, Warzard/Red Earth uhhh, there might be a few more...

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Only reason I jumped on buying my Violent Storm pcb years ago was because I played it in the arcade when released and loved it! A local was selling all his arcade shit from his business and it was needing to go that day. It was all "as is". I saw he had a Violent Storm pcb and asked how much. He said "ehhh...$20" In my head I was dancing joy, but knew the game was probably not gonna work. Bought it, had major graphic issues. Xian Xi got it working like a champ. It is one of my go to pcb's if I have about an hour to waste. I find it odd how certain games seem to get "buzz" then everyone has to have it. Some end up just buying on a whim and not knowing. Seems kinda silly.

In regards to comparing SoR 2 to Violent Storm my first thought was "why?"

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I find it odd how certain games seem to get "buzz" then everyone has to have it. Some end up just buying on a whim and not knowing. Seems kinda silly.

In regards to comparing SoR 2 to Violent Storm my first thought was "why?"

The main priority for those who do this is the pursuit of acquisition.

There are plenty of online list-makers/youtubers/half baked "reviewers" out there that tell the undiscerning collector what they should get. If you don't have it..and it looks cool to you on a superficial level...and there's a crown jewel/rarity reputation surrounding it, they want it.

A lot of these people won't even look at the game close enough to see how a Violent Storm and a SOR represent qualities as different as day and night. Though unfortunately, I'd have to imagine that these people likely represent the majority of collectors today.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
The main priority for those who do this is the pursuit of acquisition.

There are plenty of online list-makers/youtubers/half baked "reviewers" out there that tell the undiscerning collector what they should get. If you don't have it..and it looks cool to you on a superficial level...and there's a crown jewel/rarity reputation surrounding it, they want it.

A lot of these people won't even look at the game close enough to see how a Violent Storm and a SOR represent qualities as different as day and night. Though unfortunately, I'd have to imagine that these people likely represent the majority of collectors today.
Relax man! I am no where near as hardcore as you are, but I am becoming better when practicing.

You don't have to share your knowledge if you don't want to.
Peace please

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So wait a second here...Programming is an art? Since when? Is accounting an art too? How about brain surgery? Or doing groceries?...what about laundry?

...but...but...but it's a "masterpiece" what else should I call a game deserving of the highest caliber or praise?! It must be art, my ignorance supersedes my feeble attempt at a life of knowledge and common sense...so it must be true...art is subjective blah, blah, blah...I'm an educated fool so I don't know what it is I'm supposed to do about this awkward situation that's been trusted right upon me...

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire

SoR2 has a special satisfaction no other Beat em Up has for me, so I prefer that one.

What a crock of shit. If you find the pcb "You simply buy it" seriously, get lost.

Comparing Violent Storm to SOR games exposes you even more as a fool. Find a new hobby.

You are just too cute, why dont you stop dicking around? If you are always offended and hate everything you should get a new hobby. Attitudes like yours is why most of the internet avoids this place. Take it easy and dont play big behind your keyboard offending people here and there.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Let us first see what the definition of art is, there are quite a few.

Definition of art
: skill acquired by experience, study, or observation the art of making friends
a : a branch of learning: (1) : one of the humanities (2) arts plural : liberal arts
b archaic : learning, scholarship
: an occupation requiring knowledge or skill the art of organ building
a : the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects the art of painting landscapes; also : works so produced a gallery for modern art
b (1) : fine arts (2) : one of the fine arts (3) : one of the graphic arts
a archaic : a skillful plan
b : the quality or state of being artful (see artful 2a)
: decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter

Now if we look at programming there are many different coding languages thus different ways of expressions. Like other traditional art, there are still fundamentals you need to master to do stuff but there is definitely room for creativity. Just look at a lot of old video games in how they pushed performance to the max via creative ways. The old school pokemon games showed this extremely well with how many limitations they had or how about making best of Sega Genesis color palette. Look at the port of Castlevania 1 to the ZX spectrum, that isn't considered a work of art? These are all just technical things that they overcame. You can also come up with new ideas for new programs.

So wait a second here...Programming is an art? Since when? Is accounting an art too? How about brain surgery? Or doing groceries?...what about laundry?

In any case, putting brain surgery, accounting, groceries, and laundry is really a strawman argument. Most of that is usually linear with very little room for creativity other than deciding if I want to put hotpockets or not on the grocery list. Although if I were a betting man, im sure someone could come up with a argument for accounting to be a art since Wall Street have it down to a science like a work of art.

I don't get the logic that video games can't be considered art since at its core they are subjective and are a culmination of individual things considered art. Some people like certain ones, other people like others. Good game design at its core requires knowledge and experimentation imo, much like art. You can see its evolution/inovation in genres as time went on, with certain companies doing it better than others. Do you consider movies art? Same concept as movies have acting, music,screen writing, and artistic direction.

I agree that art is subjective.

In any case i'll agree they aren't considered traditional art, but they certainly have:creativity, skill, and expression which can be considered art.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Attitudes like yours is why most of the internet avoids this place.

I'm pretty sure that fact has been proven otherwise.

It's the badmouthing by people like Tanooki on other websites about this place. That's why the internet avoids this place.

Besides, you wouldn't want a lot of those types of people here anyway.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
SoR2 has a special satisfaction no other Beat em Up has for me, so I prefer that one.

You are just too cute, why dont you stop dicking around? If you are always offended and hate everything you should get a new hobby. Attitudes like yours is why most of the internet avoids this place. Take it easy and dont play big behind your keyboard offending people here and there.

I do like myself SoR2 and 3 better than most beat em ups. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is my all time favourite. King of Dragons comes second and AvsP third equal with Powered Gear. All Capcom beat em ups are great for me. Back in the day after palying Cadillacs and then returning home and playing my Mega drive SoR2, it was great but it had slower gameplay, no firearms and no Dinos. Besides Cadillacs and Dionosaurs I was a casual player on the Punisher, D&D ToD, Warriors of Fate.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Final Fight this morning on the PS3. Rolento is just as much of an ass on this game as he is in Alpha 3.

Pasky

I'm pretty sure that fact has been proven otherwise.

It's the badmouthing by people like Tanooki on other websites about this place. That's why the internet avoids this place.

Besides, you wouldn't want a lot of those types of people here anyway.

What was Tanooki saying about this place? I never thought he was a bad dude, thought he did too many wall 'o texts but if he's talking shit about this place then I think I have him figured out cus he talks shit about Nintnedoage here, so I guess he's just one of those...

Final Fight this morning on the PS3. Rolento is just as much of an ass on this game as he is in Alpha 3.

Once you understand how he works he's not that bad. He has invincibility frames as he approaches you, super joy him kinda late as he gets near to knock him away. You can stay away from him and wait for him to climb the beams and do a jump kick or wall jump and jump kick at you, just dodge it and then you have an opening. Don't be afraid to use the desperation move/super joy in that game, it costs so little life, so you get plenty of them. You can also activate it holding punch and then pressing jump, really useful when you're punching someone in the front tapping a button, you can do your last punch, hold it down and then press jump to get it out rather than fumbling the 2 button input.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What was Tanooki saying about this place? I never thought he was a bad dude, thought he did too many wall 'o texts but if he's talking shit about this place then I think I have him figured out cus he talks shit about Nintnedoage here, so I guess he's just one of those...

He goes over to AtariAge and talks shit about this place.

A specific example is the NGP SD thread. After Rot ran that dude off of here, Tanooki then goes into the thread on AA and talks shit about how we treat people, and actually tries to defend his penchant for long-winded responses.

Of course, I had to call him out on it over there...

Tanooki starts his shit here.

Last edited:

Pasky

I wanted to say this over at the NeoGeo forum but well, that didn't go over well. As far as the mods go there it's kind of like Fight Club, the one rule is you don't talk about (back to) the mods (or else.) I learned that one somewhat the hard way very early on there that until you're well established (years) and in the inner circle of regulars it's asking for it. I get why it was done, can't say I agree but whatever, you weren't begging for money.

Sounds like he learned jack shit about this place... :lolz:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I'm rarely offended. I can't say I "hate everything" either.

The perspective I hold regarding topics like games vs. art, indiscriminate collecting, approaching games from a super shallow/dismissive/generalized lens are hardly reasons behind whatever aversions people have to this forum.

I am but a small drop in a large pond. I'd like to think that my drop is far more interesting and thought provoking than whatever you contribute to this forum though.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're the biggest and baddest drop in the pond, that much I can assure you.

Edit: If we had more members like you we would be in heaven...gaming heaven, you know 'cause GOD is art and so are the angels and the little baby angels too, all of them, so much art...

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ thanks. I think it would get a bit boring though.

You know, if everyone had the same opinion and all...no one ever disagreed.

I guess some people would enjoy that.