What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Fair enough. Their articles have improved over the years IMO, and they've gone back and updated/rewritten some of their older ones. There's still some on the site though that are almost unreadably cringey, using old info, or too much "personal flair" that I can totally see where you're coming from.

I just thought it'd be a little more substantive a post than just saying, "I played SOR2. Yay."

Alright, cool

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Not Cyborg Justice.

looks awful but man that robot is strutting lol. i might have to give that a go

Despite some calling it "Turltles in Time Lite," TMNT Hyperstone Heist is pretty dang fun on its own.

man that shit dont count lol

thats got to be one of THE most obvious games.

I used to have GROWL so before anybody says that one yeah i know about it. LOVE that game!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I remember finding a loose copy of Cyborg Justice in the pre-Everdrive days, and grabbing it for $2 because the title sounded fucking awesome. So much disappointment when I got home.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy

looks awful but man that robot is strutting lol. i might have to give that a go

The robots strut with the music is probably my favorite part! Glad you noticed that!

A bunch of parts to build your borg, a great soundtrack, kickass moves, the ability to tear your opponent apart and use their parts as your own, plus you can destroy your opponent, rebuild them and do it again!

I say give it a chance before you dismiss it.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
man that shit dont count lol

thats got to be one of THE most obvious games.

I used to have GROWL so before anybody says that one yeah i know about it. LOVE that game!

Ohhh, I thought you meant "not SOR2" that I got chastised earlier for bringing up.

So you want something obscure? Like so obscure your best bet is to probably Everdrive it or get lucky on a repro? (or emulation, too, I guess)

The HK Bootleg Classic: Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan!

Seriously for being a bootleg, this game is excellent. It outdoes Golden Axe III at the very least. And you gotta love that totally not Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy VI for the title screen.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Ohhh, I thought you meant "not SOR2" that I got chastised earlier for bringing up.

So you want something obscure? Like so obscure your best bet is to probably Everdrive it or get lucky on a repro? (or emulation, too, I guess)

The HK Bootleg Classic: Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan!

Seriously for being a bootleg, this game is excellent. It outdoes Golden Axe III at the very least. And you gotta love that totally not Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy VI for the title screen.

nah i didnt read that. wasnt trying to attack you on that.

I meant not SoR, Golden Axe, TMNT etc....like the main games that everybody knows about. The one linked above and Cyborg Justice are good examples of what i meant.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Honestly, there aren't that many on the genesis/md beyond the SOR and Golden Axe titles.

Let's see, Mystical Fighter, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Growl (previously mentioned), Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter (still have yet to play), uhhh.

Kind of irrelevant, but, the SNES/SFC has a much larger library of beat 'em ups, with many of them being halfway interesting.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Honestly, there aren't that many on the genesis/md beyond the SOR and Golden Axe titles.

Let's see, Mystical Fighter, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Growl (previously mentioned), Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter (still have yet to play), uhhh.

Kind of irrelevant, but, the SNES/SFC has a much larger library of beat 'em ups, with many of them being halfway interesting.

yeah thats what i figured...damn i was hoping there was something hidden like all these good shmups

i guess i'll try the 2 games you mentioned above then. I think i have already played the Sailor Moon beat em up but that might have been SNES...

speaking of SNES i KNOW the it has some great beat em ups but honestly im just looking for something to break in my GENESIS stick.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What about Comix Zone or the Splatterhouse games?

I forgot about Splatterhouse 3. I don't really count non belt-scrollers like Comix Zone and Splatterhouse 2, but I suppose they're
worth mentioning if OP's criteria is flexible.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
What about Comix Zone or the Splatterhouse games?

Comix Zone is one of my all time favs. Thats a good call though.

Also yeah forgot about Splatterhouse but arent those on every system know to man? I'll give those a shot since believe or not i have never spent more then few minutes with any those games. Might be time to actually play them.

If that's the case, how about Alien Storm, Blades of Vengeance (Beam Software), Crude Busters, Mystical Fighter & D.J. Boy?

Im familiar with Alien Storm but I'm wondering about those other games. i'll check em out thanks!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
im just looking for something to break in my GENESIS stick.

Captain America and The Avengers
Death and Return of Superman
The Punisher
Maximum Carnage
Separation Anxiety
Yang Warrior Family ("Yang Jia Jiang", I believe??? I dunno, it's not english I can tell you that.)

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
God damn Last Battle!

lol It's a little sad now, but after Black Belt that game was the only way to get your Hokuto no Ken fix back in the day apart from the gameboy and nes releases here in the usa. You play a shitty game enough and you start to appreciate it's rough edges after a while lol Good times.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Ok so far Mystical Fighter is pretty damn cool so far. played through the first level.

Blades of Vengeance isnt the type of game im looking for though. its just a standard action platformer.

Captain America and The Avengers
Death and Return of Superman
The Punisher
Maximum Carnage
Separation Anxiety
Yang Warrior Family ("Yang Jia Jiang", I believe??? I dunno, it's not english I can tell you that.)

I actually had all those comic book beat em ups you listed growing up. Especially the Punisher. That was one of my absolute favorites. The thing is, arent all the games above also on SNES and Punsisher specifically also being a CPS2 Arcade game.

I'm looking for "true blue, SEGA blooded you better get your ass to the store and buy a GENESIS if you want to play it" beat em ups. I guess this console doesnt really have that much stuff

I'll have to check out that Chinese games.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Ok so far Mystical Fighter is pretty damn cool so far. played through the first level.

Blades of Vengeance isnt the type of game im looking for though. its just a standard action platformer.

I actually had all those comic book beat em ups you listed growing up. Especially the Punisher. That was one of my absolute favorites. The thing is, arent all the games above also on SNES and Punsisher specifically also being a CPS2 Arcade game.

I'm looking for "true blue, SEGA blooded you better get your ass to the store and buy a GENESIS if you want to play it" beat em ups. I guess this console doesnt really have that much stuff

I'll have to check out that Chinese games.

I really enjoyed Mazin Saga as a kid, although the boss fights are cheap as hell. I doubt its a run and buy a genesis title, but its pretty fun, has good visuals, and a nice soundtrack. Oh, and its also Mazinger, so there's that. I can't really recall much beat em ups I played on the genesis that hasn't already been mentioned. Although Final Fight CD was a favorite, definitely worth trying if not for the music alone.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i haven't played it in years, but blades of vengeance was sweet. great side scroller with rpg elements. i think if you liked cadash, you will also like blades of vengeance.