KOFXIII ART GALORE

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
This is NONA's art in 2001:

Igniz-1.jpg

And this is, once again NONA's (in-game) art in 2001

igniz-2k1.gif

NONA has the capability to use his style to catch any character's personality and embed it into his/her portrait. Exaggeration also kick in, yes.

You may rember Chang and Choi became comical relief sidekicks since.., mmh... 1996 I think. Please check Korea/Kim team ending since then. By 2001 they're nothing but a comical duo. Thus, NONA used a very parody-like style for they ingame art: since Chang is a big phisique and Choi a small one, you would assume Choi should get a close-up (zoomed) portrait, and Chang a zoomed-out one. NONA did the actual opposite: so Choi is very tiny (zoomed out) and Chang is just the face detail, for he's big AND zoomed in. Hence the hilarious effect.

But, at the same time, cool characters got a cool portrait. Each charcter got his/hen own personality perfectly emphasized withint his/her portrait.

This is another reason for NONA is really an art genius. He's not just that he can 'draw well'. It's the art style that make the difference. The greatest art technique is nothing but a tool in the hand of the artist's spirit and mind.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Okay, now you lost me.

That's Terry Bogard from the KOF movie.

Some of the 2001 in game art was hot garbage, IMO.

But Nona is a great artist, for the most part.

/thread

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This is NONA's art in 2001:

Igniz-1.jpg

And this is, once again NONA's (in-game) art in 2001

igniz-2k1.gif

NONA has the capability to use his style to catch any character's personality and embed it into his/her portrait. Exaggeration also kick in, yes.

You may rember Chang and Choi became comical relief sidekicks since.., mmh... 1996 I think. Please check Korea/Kim team ending since then. By 2001 they're nothing but a comical duo. Thus, NONA used a very parody-like style for they ingame art: since Chang is a big phisique and Choi a small one, you would assume Choi should get a close-up (zoomed) portrait, and Chang a zoomed-out one. NONA did the actual opposite: so Choi is very tiny (zoomed out) and Chang is just the face detail, for he's big AND zoomed in. Hence the hilarious effect.

But, at the same time, cool characters got a cool portrait. Each charcter got his/hen own personality perfectly emphasized withint his/her portrait.

This is another reason for NONA is really an art genius. He's not just that he can 'draw well'. It's the art style that make the difference. The greatest art technique is nothing but a tool in the hand of the artist's spirit and mind.

Nona's art is awesome. But I remember a lot of people trashing him back in the day with 2001.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Wow the KOF XIII art looks absolutely wonderfull. Gotta like how bad-ass Takuma looks.

As for Nona, not all of his art is shit to me, but some of the character portraits in 01 were pretty shitty, IMO. Especially Yuri Joe and Chang, jesus christ they look mentally retarded-- well I suppose Chang IS mentally retarded-- but no excuse for Yuri's victory portrait.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Especially Yuri Joe and Chang, jesus christ they look mentally retarded-- well I suppose Chang IS mentally retarded-- but no excuse for Yuri's victory portrait.

Yuri, Joe and Chang/Choi are in fact the characters who came to be comical relief in the series.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yuri, Joe and Chang/Choi are in fact the characters who came to be comical relief in the series.

What kind of asshole laughs about others living with obesity and retardation (to their face)?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Spoon going PC is surely a sign of the End Times. I'm keeping an eye out for locusts.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Wow...this thread is full of suck.

The art is good though.

*Everyone in here's opinion is shit except Shito's, because he's always right.

*and by "right" I mean asshole

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
the art in 01 is so goofy its great.

the character artwork that went along with the game was also great. it was nice to see something new after the same face on every char for the past 7 years. (though the art for 2000 was great, way better than 94-98.)

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
It's great to see when someone express some logical, documented, educated points can just be countered by 'he's an asshole' argument.

For god's sake, it's not that I say 'NONA ART IS GREAT BECAUSE I LIKE IT YOU STFU'. No. I try to explain what 'greatness' in art means starting from both a technical/academical point of view (brushwork style, colouring pattern, etc) and a symbolist, purely art point of view.

Having studied art, being educated about the matter one discusses, making logical -and thus kind of solid- points equates to 'be an asshole' in your book?

I've yet to see one, I say ONE post quoting my simple analysis and elaborating from that into a discussion, a counter point, whatever serious one may add to the discussion.

But heh, maybe someone is bitter because he does not have anything to say but 'NO IS SHIT STFU', and feels embarrassed for that he's just flaming like a 10yo rather than contribute in an educated discussion inbetween grown-ups.

Way to go.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's great to see when someone express some logical, documented, educated points can just be countered by 'he's an asshole' argument.

For god's sake, it's not that I say 'NONA ART IS GREAT BECAUSE I LIKE IT YOU STFU'. No. I try to explain what 'greatness' in art means starting from both a technical/academical point of view (brushwork style, colouring pattern, etc) and e symbolist, purely art point of view.

Having studied art, being educated about the matter one discusses, making logical -and thus kind of solid- points equates to 'be an asshole' in your book?

I've yet to see one, I say ONE post quoting my simple analysis and elaborating from that into a discussion, a counter point, whatever serious one may add to the discussion.

But heh, maybe someone is bitter because he does not have anything to say but 'NO IS SHIT STFU', and feels embarrassed for that he's just flaming like a 10yo rather than contribute in an educated discussion inbetween grown-ups.

Way to go.

Posts like this are why you are considered an asshole by some. Just pointing it out.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Posts like this are why you are considered an asshole by some. Just pointing it out.

Yeah, I know. But since I'm strongly against this kind of way of thinking, I know I have to go straight on my path.

If anyone comes and tell me things -I mean facts- I don't know, then I listen, take note and thank. I'm the kind of guy who takes lessons in university even if he's working since 15+ years. I'm the kind of guy who studies countries and places before any leisure trip. I'm the kind of guy who spends hours in a museum reading the provided explanation for any painting. I'm always hunting for learning occasions, you know. Subsequently, each time I share something that I've studied and/or I'm educated on, while I'm always accepting any serious counter point and I'm honestly ready to change my own opinion if proved wrong, I'm no way touched by weak arguments such as 'you an asshole', or 'this is good because I like it period', or any other ineducated pseudo counter point.

Always eager to take, always ready to give.

It's just my way of living, on the internet just like in real file. I call this honest and fair.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah, I know. But since I'm strongly against this kind of way of thinking, I know I have to go straight on my path.

If anyone comes and tell me things -I mean facts- I don't know, I listen, take note and thank. I'm the kind of guy who take lessons in university even if he's working since 15+ years. I'm the kind of guy who study country and places before any leisure trip. I'm the kind of guy who spend hours in a museum reading the provided explanation for any painting. I'm always hunting for learning occasions, you know. Subsequently, each time I share something I've studied and/or I'm educated on, while I'm always accepting any serious counter point and I'm honestly ready to change my own opinion if proved wrong, I'm no way touched by weak arguments such as 'you an asshole', or 'this is good because I like it period', or any other ineducated pseudo counter point.

Always eager to take, always ready to give.

It's just my way of living, on the internet just like in real file. I call this honest and fair.

None of this explanation/rationalization helps you avoid scrutiny. Nobody's going to read this and say 'Oh, now I understand Shito.' If anything, they'll just be more annoyed with you.

Word of advice.

Stop taking umbrage with people calling you an asshole. If you're going to continue to act under your current modus operandi, expect people to continue to hate on you.

Do with that what you will.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Taiso, I thank you for your advice, because I know it's honest and fair, and I appreciate you AND your intention.

I know may attitude can pretty much attract hate on me, but I guess it can be helped. If it was only to kill time, I wouldn't be here reading and writing to begin with. I'm expecting anyone to 'understand' me either, as I'm not a spoiled child waiting for others' comprehension. As a matter of fact, my previous reply -just as this very one- came just out of your since post on the very subject of my own attitude. If not, I could have just gone along with being considered an asshole by some. It's OK, really. What you may think was a bitter reply against one person calling me an asshole was not really intended to be meaningful for that one very person, as a personal reply, but was mostly intended to be meaningful to other readers. People read even when they do not post a jot, you know.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
When I look at game art, I always ask myself: "Is this better or worse than Time Killers?"

If it can pass the baseline TK test, I see if it can reach the threshold of Cézanne. Can it convey the taste of the subject? Ideally, it will make me think of Rothko.

Then I return to earth, and just hope the damn thing plays well.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I know may attitude can pretty much attract hate on me, but I guess it can be helped. If it was only to kill time, I wouldn't be here reading and writing to begin with. I'm expecting anyone to 'understand' me either, as I'm not a spoiled child waiting for others' comprehension.

And yet, any time someone flames you, you instantly get defensive and post a response. Invariably, You instantly start talking about 'truth' and 'facts' and about your vast education, studies and experience in the associated fields like any of us should even give a shit about it or take it as some kind of invisible paramater by which to levy our own judgements.

And when the inevitable disagreements come along, it's always everybody else that's wrong.

THAT'S why you're considered an asshole.

It's not just that you disagree with other people. You disagree, tell them why your thoughts matter more than theirs do on the subject and continue to maintain an arrogant attitude. You split hairs endlessly, ignore points that contradict yours and play them off as less informed opinions when, most of the time, they AREN'T less informed. When people use common sense against you, you tell them those aren't 'facts.' And yet, when you do the same thing we're all supposed to take it to mean more when, at the end of the day, they're no more valid than anyone else's viewpoint.

I'm not saying you should stop being who you are. I'm not saying you should change. Personally, I don't care what you do even though your constant fandom peddled as 'superior knowledge' is pedantic and tiresome.

I'm jus telling you why people can't stand you.

And those are the 'facts', whether you like it or not.

As a matter of fact, my previous reply -just as this very one- came just out of your since post on the very subject of my own attitude. If not, I could have just gone along with being considered an asshole by some. It's OK, really. What you may think was a bitter reply against one person calling me an asshole was not really intended to be meaningful for that one very person, as a personal reply, but was mostly intended to be meaningful to other readers. People read even when they do not post a jot, you know.

But if you don't care what people think of you and that 'Shito is going to be Shito no matter what', why bother explaining yourself to anyone?

Dude, get a grip. You care what people think of you. That's plain as day. So you can take my advice and stop being a dickhole or you can TRULY not care what people think and keep on doing what you're doing. But pick one and stop being butthurt just because you can't have it both ways.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I'm sorry Taiso. I care about stating facts and truths and datas about what I like, for anyone to read and know. Just to give proper consistency and reliability to what I state, I may eventually cite my sources and my background, which is just logical. But what I write usually stands per-se. No, you're assuming it wrong about what's 'plain as day' in my way of feeling and thinking, but OK. You're indeed free to think what please you the most. BTW, enough with spamming this thread which is about KOF and art. Nice to talk with you as always, but we can just move it in PM if you like to continue, where feet in the dickhead asshole's mouth more properly belong. :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's difficult reading Shito posts, because he omits certain words that drastically change the meaning of his sentences, and I hate trying to piece together what he really means.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I would read Shito's posts, but I'm too busy educating myself on astro-biology and theoretical physics to bother.

It's hard being this smart and educated, always gathering facts and analyzing data endlessly in an effort to always have the correct opinion, which is actually not an opinion, but a fact. :emb:

On topic though: Taiso just wrote some really refreshing posts. Great observations.