NeoBiosMasta: Introduction and Information (photo heavy) ORDERS OPEN

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
@Xian: The 4-1 and 4-2 had alot of trouble getting them to work when cased. 5-1 (I think this was Murray) worked without any troubles I think. CDZ had no trouble.

I might have broken something CD related in the program but I didn't really touch that part of the BIOS. If Murray or NTM were to test the BIOS revision that went into Gohan's system it would at least confirm if it's a bug that got in there somehow. If it's not a bug though then I have no idea what's stopping it from working. If it is, I'll try getting it sorted.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
How would I determine the board revision? I remember it had a date stamp of November 1994. I would assume NTM put the most recent bios revision on it.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I might have broken something CD related in the program but I didn't really touch that part of the BIOS. If Murray or NTM were to test the BIOS revision that went into Gohan's system it would at least confirm if it's a bug that got in there somehow. If it's not a bug though then I have no idea what's stopping it from working. If it is, I'll try getting it sorted.
I think the one in my Neo CD is still the last one you asked me to test. Which one is in Gohan's? I'd be happy to test it out.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
This makes no sense to me. Of all the cd systems i tried this has worked 100%. Even one that was sent to me from slugger dan I had no problems with it working.

I put the most recent bios revision on it. I'll pay you to send me the system and pay for it to be sent back. I want to get to the bottom of this. I am sorry you have had a problem. I'll pm you a little later.

I know for a fact 4-2 systems work on it. I developed the adapter on that revision and tested it thoroughly.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
@GohanX: It's on the PCB on the outer edge I think. It's not really a big deal what the revision is though so don't bother disassembling it just for that.

@Murray: http://smkdan.eludevisibility.org/ngcd/BIOS007.zip
It's one I put up a few weeks ago, but no notable changes so I did not post about it. Since you had success with your system in the past, could you see if it gets similar problems that just came up for Gohan? Something seemingly unrelated might have messed up the drive.

@NTM: If it's just a software bug that got into that one I just posted then one of the earlier ones that you tried at some point with proper loading should confirm it. I'm OK with getting it back in working order but I'll need some help with testing. Anything that relies on more than just the base PCB I can't really test.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
NTM: no worries about it not working, I knew the bios was still in development. I'll check the board revision when I get home later today.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
@Murray: http://smkdan.eludevisibility.org/ngcd/BIOS007.zip
It's one I put up a few weeks ago, but no notable changes so I did not post about it. Since you had success with your system in the past, could you see if it gets similar problems that just came up for Gohan? Something seemingly unrelated might have messed up the drive.
I tested it in mine and everything seems fine. Definitely nothing like Gohan was describing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I know for a fact 4-2 systems work on it. I developed the adapter on that revision and tested it thoroughly.

I just popped her open and the motherboard says "Neo-CD4-2." So...it should work. I'm going to redo the mod and take some pictures to make sure I'm doing this right.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I tested it in mine and everything seems fine. Definitely nothing like Gohan was describing.

No idea why it doesn't work in Gohan's system then. The software is fine but it just doesn't like certain systems for some reason. I didn't change anything related to the CD drive but it gets disturbed somehow.

WinkWink

World Soccer '96
just got mine today easy install on the MV-1B!

Thanks for a great product:buttrock:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Got in Gohan's system in today and think I found the issue. I'm pretty sure the NBM probably dislodged one of the pins on the 68k cpu. When looking closely at his system, the 68k was soldered down slightly askew. This could have led to a weak connection on the pins and when placing the NBM on top, it slightly dislodged one.

So far its the only occurrence, that I have seen, of this happening. The socket is a tight fit, so if the cpu has a weak solder connection, it could pop off a pin. So far no MVS installs have had this problem.

The 4-2 system I used to develop it never had a problem, and that was after popping it on and off at least 100 times. The 5-1 system of Murray's was the same, popped it on with no issues. CDZ as well.

The other problem I saw on this system was that the ribbon cable was peeling and not making contact from the MB. This seems to be a big problem with these cables. I trimmed his just above where the peeling stopped and it works fine.

As far as the CPU. I just went around it with my soldering iron re-melting the solder that was already on there. After that, worked just fine.

The CD systems seem to be a bit more delicate than the MVS, but I guess that's to be expected. They may need a bit more care with installing and from now on, I'll use a "softer" socket for these. It wont be as tight of a grip, but it will be enough to hold it on there. I installed a softer one on Gohan's and its been playing '99 Demo Mode for about 2 hours now, with snkdan's current bios.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I think there's more to this problem. After messing with Gohan's system for a bit, I noticed that games seem to run fine, but there were some odd glitches. Like enemies being hit by invisible attacks and missing animations.

When the NBM with either smkdan's or the original toploader bios loaded on an eprom the system would show glitches. Traced out all the connections and checked its voltage, and everything is 100%. So there has to be something I'm not seeing. Possibly the 4-2 systems dont like eproms, i have no idea. The CDz and 5-1 system are installed and running perfectly. All the damn 4-2 systems seem to be having problems. So in light of that, I'm pulling the CD version from sale right now until I figure out what the issue is. Sad thing is only 4 of the CD ones were sold. So it's not like the Toyota recall or anything :)

Wow! This is a great idea!

I have a MV-1C which I've just consolized, and was dreading attacking my bios with an iron so am chuffed to have found this!

I just tried to buy one from your website, but the paypal shopping cart lists the shipping at $14!

Your pricing for the item is perfectly reasonable, and I would love to support your project (and any more for that matter!) but the postage at $14 for 1 unit to the U.K. seems a bit excessive... is this an automatic paypal calculation and, therefore, would you be able to get a better price at all?

If not is there anyone else from the U.K. who wants to order soon and willing to halve a postage cost between 2?

Hope this makes sense and I don't just sound cheap!

Thanks!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Wow! This is a great idea!

I have a MV-1C which I've just consolized, and was dreading attacking my bios with an iron so am chuffed to have found this!

I just tried to buy one from your website, but the paypal shopping cart lists the shipping at $14!

Your pricing for the item is perfectly reasonable, and I would love to support your project (and any more for that matter!) but the postage at $14 for 1 unit to the U.K. seems a bit excessive... is this an automatic paypal calculation and, therefore, would you be able to get a better price at all?

If not is there anyone else from the U.K. who wants to order soon and willing to halve a postage cost between 2?

Hope this makes sense and I don't just sound cheap!

Thanks!

I ship everything USPS Priority International in a Small Flat Rate Box. So yes, the price is $14. I only ship that method at the moment as it is flat rate and much easier for me to just drop it off at the post office.

Fair enough!

And thanks very much for the very prompt reply!

Anyone in the U.K. need one of these and want to share postage costs?

Thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I ship everything USPS Priority International in a Small Flat Rate Box. So yes, the price is $14. I only ship that method at the moment as it is flat rate and much easier for me to just drop it off at the post office.

Way easier than waiting in line. I had a package to ship out to Canada and it had to go first class and this past week was the WORST time. I sent my wife while I watched the baby, she stood in line for 45 minutes. Exactly why I like to ship Priority as well for international purchases. Print and drop.

Fair enough!

And thanks very much for the very prompt reply!

Anyone in the U.K. need one of these and want to share postage costs?

Thanks!

Why don't you just buy a bunch to fill the box and then resell them in the UK? Maximize efficiency on the shipping cost. You could probably fit 6-10 pieces in there. I know it racks up in cost but it could help out a few UK boys that need some later.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta,

Do you still have NeoBiosMasta for the Neo CD toploader consoles? I looked on your homepage but it seems you can only choose the MVS model.

Thanks!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
NeoTurfMasta,

Do you still have NeoBiosMasta for the Neo CD toploader consoles? I looked on your homepage but it seems you can only choose the MVS model.

Thanks!

I pulled the CD adapters because of weird incompatibilities between different systems. At the time there was little interest in the project, but I may look at it again here soon.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't think it's a good idea to completely cancel the CD NeoBiosMasta. At the very least it could be a nice specialty item. If word got out enough there would surely be a decent amount of demand for such a thing.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Damn, almost been 2 years since I looked at the CD version again. With some fresh eyes on it I have a few ideas.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
good new to see you not abandon this project

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Damn, almost been 2 years since I looked at the CD version again. With some fresh eyes on it I have a few ideas.

That's excellent. I definitely have an immediate need for a toploader version. Do you know if there's enough room to use a ZIF socket in place of the normal DIP socket?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I don't think there is enough clearance for a ZIF socket. Shoot me a PM.