Pier Solar, Brand New MegaDrive/Genny RPG

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Funny that something running on the MegaDrive can't be done on the PS4.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I've read the same. Kotaku is playing it, I think it's Jason Schreier that started it and he said the lag on text and loading makes it near unplayable on the moment (PS4 version). He said that a look over various forums indicates that the other recently-released formats have the same problems.

RPGFan review of original (so this isn't even counting off for the bad port)

The comments on the Kotaku post weren't kind, either. It sounds pretty interesting, but at the same time, random battles sound awful, and the basic game sounds mostly broken.

As someone who's beaten the Genesis version, I'll just say that the game is playable, if a bit tedious. You are forced to grind, no way around it. And, yes, you will fight the same enemy group over and over. But, look at any RPG from the mid-90's and tell me it's not exactly the same thing.

I was a Beta tester and it was interesting looking over some of the "bugs" that were fixed. They were ranked in severity from C to A (A being gamebreaking, B being avoidable but, gamebreaking, C being like graphic glitches and priority bugs). One of the more interesting one involved the first boss, a crab. IIRC, the bug report title was "Severity A: Crab boss is too hard". Playing it through the first time, he is hard for a first boss. But, then I found if you leveled up to 7, he was much easier.

As for the HD version, I think I'm going to check it out anyway. I'm curious what changes were made, and such. Any true problems I'm hoping they'll fix via patch at a later date. However, that being said, it certainly doesn't bode well for the future prospects of the Dreamcast port.

Jon

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just got this e-mail a few minutes ago from MGF in regards to my Dreamcast and Genny Pre-Order.

Dear razo00,

You are receiving this email because you did pre-order either Pier Solar REPRINT, REPRINT_EP, Dreamcast, PC/LINUX/MAC, the strategy guide or the OST.

Our appology for the lack of news. All those products, except the game guide (which is still in finalization stage) are currently manufacturing. We are encountering some difficulties to setup our new production scheme around the Mega Drive version of the game hence extra delays. As for the Dreamcast, PC/LINUX/MAC version, all is going according to the plans. Thanks for your understanding, please note all is custom made from ground and we are aiming for absolute quality products with the exact and intact original spirit.

Please be sure that we are working actively on this and you will receive your preorders sooner or later. Please note that we don't need your shipping address yet, the pre-order system at magical game factory will ask your shipping address at the very last moment so no mistake or outdated input can be made.

To help compensate with the wait, we are also working on an extra goodie that will be added to your parcel.

Also, if you have to contact the costumer support, bear the extra delays, we are currently looking for new and competent staff hence our slow answers at the moment.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, it's probably going to be something stupid. Hopefully it will get here withing the next two months. Have something to mess around with before Christmas.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
If I actually get my Kickstarter DC package by the end of the year I'll be surprised. Sheesh.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
agreed.
I'm still pissed that they haven't shown the cover art.

Or the figures, I've really been curious about those. They have regular updates but they just concern the digital release these days.

Kickstarter is an on going lesson in zen like patience. I haven't been burned yet, but most projects I've backed can't keep to their original timelines and it makes you feel like it's never going to happen. The original release date for Pier Solar was last December. If I get it by this December I'll be okay with that. Hopefully they can make it happen and it won't turn into a complete show like with the GCW Zero.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
From that whole review it seems the game was never anything over mediocre at the best. Can anybody that has played it here say how it was?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I beat the Genesis version and downloaded PS HD on my PS3. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I thought it was fun except for the ice bridges (they felt out of place in a rpg). It's been a couple years since I played it but I remember thinking the ending was poor.

For $15 it's worth a look if they fix the bugs.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I thought the Genesis version was pretty decent. It's not any worse than other JRPGs of the time. I thought the gather system was confusing and too difficult to use when most enemies can kill you rather easily, but it's not like it's required either.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'm still somewhat interested in trying this game. I like overly difficult RPGs, and I like random battles because they add to the suspense. I mean, if you are running low on supplies and MP, in a random battle system you're in deep shit. In modern RPGs you can just avoid encounters if you want. I actually like the Lunar games on the Sega CD better than the remakes because of how tense it could be towards the end of a dungeon.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Give Romancing Saga Minstrel Song a try. It's modern enough yet retains a good bit of difficulty by allowing freedom in choosing when to do what.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I beat the Genesis version and downloaded PS HD on my PS3. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I thought it was fun except for the ice bridges (they felt out of place in a rpg). It's been a couple years since I played it but I remember thinking the ending was poor.

For $15 it's worth a look if they fix the bugs.

The ice bridges were bad, yes, and so was that Sakoban (Boxxle) part where you have to push boxes...ughhh...made my brain hurt. IIRC, there's also a mini-game where you can play a HUGE ice bridge. Not sure if you get anything for beating it but, thought I'd mention that.

As far as the ending goes, I'll just say the main character makes a decision that comes completely out of left field. Definitely not what I would have done.

Jon

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Can anybody that has played it here say how it was?

It's much better than it has any right being for a fan project like this, but ultimately it's a fairly middle of the road 16-bit JRPG. Doesn't come close to competing with the big boys like Chrono Trigger or Phantasy Star 4. Only very dedicated 16-bit JRPG fans need apply.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I was looking for a new 'old school' style RPG, so I downloaded it for the WiiU and played it for about an hour today. So far, I am really enjoying it. The charm of it overtakes any alleged tedium in my opinion.

Paiku

Crazed MVS Addict
New sneak peak video!

Yes, I worked on some of the art assets for the game :).

Damnit, this isn't even the right thread.. my bad!:O

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
New sneak peak video!

Yes, I worked on some of the art assets for the game :).

Damnit, this isn't even the right thread.. my bad!:O

Looks good! Pretty exciting to see some footage of the new game. Reminds me of Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle! :D

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Yeah, that new Project Y game looks pretty badass. Can't wait to finally play it.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Holy crap, it finally arrived! After almost a year and a half of waiting :D

PWMqf0h.jpg