My Arcade, Ahem, I meant, um, My Office

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hmm, the argument I'm used to hearing from HappHeads is Sanwas are TOO responsive. Either way, I think both play just fine and in most situations people who whine about joysticks are losers fishing for excuses.

As for all this Marvel hate, its to be expected. I can't think of any 2d fighter with a more rediculous learning curve. If you weren't counting the days til your local arcade got this game in, you're probably better off sticking with those doujin style guilty gear games.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
couldnt imagine playing blitz or showtime without 49-ways. similarly many 3d games would benefit from analog control. its just so much smoother for moving around.

i fully expect a response along the lines of "lol midway" but w/e.

the naomi baseball games use analog sanwa sticks (which i why i have em) and theyre just designed so poorly.

zombie revenge uses analogs, and i think a few others have the option.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
yes but who plays those shitty games?

apart from you

:shame:

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Thing is... I probably wouldn't get any work done if I had that in my office.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Don't listen to these fags, they don't play games... they just come here and bitch about them. ;)

I play games, just not shite like nfl blitz or hockey or whatever. who'd want that crap in a cab . ugh

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
Bib: I have a few suggestions for your arcade if you don't mind the constructive criticism...

This room would be a hell of a lot more awesome if it was treated like an actual arcade, rather than an office with arcade machines. There should be ONLY arcade cabinets and nothing else in the room. Do you have internet in any other room? I would move everything office related to a separate office room.

I'd love to, but it might be inconsistent with some of the future plans for the company. So right now, I am just being conservative and keeping all this in this office.

I would also keep all loose PCB's and carts in a large walk-in closet that is locked at all times. While it's cool to show off your collection, I would be a little more concerned about security and people walking off with stuff. Not that you can't trust most of the people here, but if you are going to be more open to new faces at the next gathering, I'd be a little cautious here.

Good idea, but I do it anyway. I tend to keep good inventory, and I also lock stuff in one of the other offices (as Craig calls it, the "Room of Doom"). You've seen it.

One interesting idea I always had, but never did it due to it being expensive, is to implement a token system for all the arcade games. Keep all of the cabinets locked down like in the real arcade, and put token mechs inside them. That way, you can distribute tokens freely and get the experience of being in a real arcade whenever you play. I doubt you'd do this though, because you'd have to buy a shitton of mechs, which cost a lot, and then buy bulk tokens, which also cost a lot.

Really cool idea, but I doubt I'd ever get around to implementing it.

If you clear out all that PCB and office junk from the room, you'll have a lot more room to put cabs in. Remember, you may think you have a lot of cabs, but you can NEVER have enough. Instead of spending time swapping carts and PCBs, you should be spending time walking around and deciding which cab you are going to play. And if there's a PCB or cart that's not in your arcade, then use the big room as your "supergun" room, for all of your PCB swapping needs.

I will probably spread out some of the showcase cabs in other rooms for the upcoming gaming gathering, but for now, I'll probably leave everything in here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What's with all this horseshit about trashing Happs!?

I own both candies and woodies and the experience is different for both. There are some games that I much rather play in a candy, but some others must be played in a wood cab. When it comes to fighters I can play way better on a Super than anything else, but when it comes to shmups I'm Sanwan all the way, even though people keep pushing that seimitsu is the way to fly, but I think all the shmupies just want to justify some sort of exclusivity to their cause.

My wood cabs are all in very decent shape, but my candies are in WIP status, except for my MVU4 which is just in need of a CP art overlay, other than that is minty fresh, now unfortunately it has seimitsu sticks 'cause the joystick bracket is made to accept that, but soon I'll take care of that.

In the end I'll have to say that I like woddies more than candies for a ton of reasons, but candies are slowly coming around for me, hell I like them so much I have 5 of them suckers, but I own even more woodies. I just got this Fabtek vert and I'm just dying to play the Raiden and Striker Series in it, is just the only way to fly man! It needs some serious work, but I've been waiting for the chance to own one of this cabs for a long ass time.

I have to say though that Egret II and the AWSD are defenately one of my favorite cab designs, I used to be alll about the Astro design and in some ways I still am 'cause the CPs are so versatile, it is truly a shame that those suckers that make the CP's for Egret II don't know how to make decent button layouts. The AWSD 1P CP is flawless though.

Anyone who shits on Happs don't know much about Happs. Sanwa is great too, but at the end is not really a matter of prefference for me, is more like the right brand for the right game.

On topic: A lot of folk give Biblio a lot of shit. There are some of us who know the place is coming along nice 'cause we've seen it before, so ease up on the man, most folks first cabinets are usually akward, it doesn't apply to everyone, but I've seen a lot worst. Even though some of the cabs are not very pretty at least they run, which is more than I can say for a lot of folks here that had cabs that don't work for shit for a long time.

Everyone that jumps into this hobby has a phase where obsession outrules arcade common sense, but once you get thorugh it that's when your hobby starts to shine, it's just a matter of time and everyone that's serious about this knows what I'm talking about.

I've never been a fan of all them wacky arcade games like blitz and most sports titles that don't come from SNK, so I can't talk much about all them blitz and shit, it seems to me that those type of games belong in some loser bar with alll them people that like Madden, GTA and all that crap.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
The problem with happ joysticks is they suffer from "wobbling" back and forth when you tap and let them go at the same time. This makes it harder to double dash in fighters. Also, the competition's actuator sucks, and the super is just too damn sensitive towards diagonals. Not to mention that I always get nasty blisters thanks to the rough-textured bat-tops.

I have an older pair of bat-tops with square actuators that came with the Dynamo I got from 68k a while back. I actually really like those joysticks, but I don't know if you can get those anymore. They have smooth bats instead of the textured ones you get today. I'm not sure if they are even happ.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I play games, just not shite like nfl blitz or hockey or whatever. who'd want that crap in a cab . ugh

i wish i had wayne gretzky 3d hockey.

or even better, if hitz was a pcb.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
Yo Waz,

Get some Sitdowns.

I have a sitdown.
There is no better sitdown than this one:

IMG_2668.jpg

And where the classics at?

This is the only classic I have:

PleiadesCab.jpg

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I don't have every ST-V cart, but I am working on trying to complete that collection. Problem is that some of them are quite difficult to find, and not just RSG. It is a lot easier to find than some other ST-V carts. There are about 62 St-V games (according to system16.com), and I only have about 39 of them.

We should compare ST-V carts one of these days. I have 43. The problem with system16 is that a lot of those games aren't compatible with the standard ST-V motherboard so they really aren't all that useful. Heck if you count all of the Print Club carts (and they don't) there would probably be about 100 ST-V carts.

http://vgrebirth.org/images/revquixo/stv.jpg

(not pictured Batman Forever)

missing: Tecmo Cup '98, US version of Die Hard, US version of Treasure Hunt

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
We should compare ST-V carts one of these days. I have 43. The problem with system16 is that a lot of those games aren't compatible with the standard ST-V motherboard so they really aren't all that useful. Heck if you count all of the Print Club carts (and they don't) there would probably be about 100 ST-V carts.

http://vgrebirth.org/images/revquixo/stv.jpg

(not pictured Batman Forever)

missing: Tecmo Cup '98, US version of Die Hard, US version of Treasure Hunt

Nice collection. Very nice collection indeed. I will post a pic of my collection as soon as I get a chance.

I have Tecmo Cup '98 and US Die Hard. How can you have RGS but not Die Hard? It is a pretty easy cart to come by.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Nice collection. Very nice collection indeed. I will post a pic of my collection as soon as I get a chance.

I have Tecmo Cup '98 and US Die Hard. How can you have RGS but not Die Hard? It is a pretty easy cart to come by.

I've had two copies of Die Hard Arcade go through my hands, but at the time I only had a JP bios for my motherboard...so I sold them off and never replaced them. I do have Dynamite Deka, so it isn't high on my priority list.

So if you have two games i don't...I have 6 games you don't. I'll guess them:

Maru-Chan de Goo!
Mausuke's Ojama za Warudo
Danchi de Hanafuda: Okusan Komeya Desu yo!
Danchi de Quiz: Okusan 4taku Desu yo!
Virtual Mahjong
Radiant Silvergun

Last edited:

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
I've had two copies of Die Hard Arcade go through my hands, but at the time I only had a JP bios for my motherboard...so I sold them off and never replaced them. I do have Dynamite Deka, so it isn't high on my priority list.

So if you have two games i don't...I have 6 games you don't. I'll guess them:

Maru-Chan de Goo!
Mausuke's Ojama za Warudo
Danchi de Hanafuda: Okusan Komeya Desu yo!
Danchi de Quiz: Okusan 4taku Desu yo!
Virtual Mahjong
Radiant Silvergun

Rev, here is the list of the ST-V games that I have:

1. All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua 610-0373-48
  2. Astra Super Stars 610-0374-90
  3. Baku Baku Animal 610-0373-03
  4. Batman Forever
  5. Columns 97 610-0373-73
  6. Cotton Boomerang
  7. Decathlete 610-0373-15
  8. Die Hard Arcade 610-0373-17
  9. Dynamite Deka 610-0373-16
  10. Ejihon Detective Agency / Ejihon Tantei Jimusyo 610-0373-04
  11. Final Fight Revenge 610-0374-129
  12. Funky Head Boxers 610-0373-08
  13. Groove On Fight 610-0374-34
  14. Guardian Force 610-0374-95
  15. Hanagumi Taisen Columns : Sakura Wars 610-0373-41
  16. Karaoke Quiz Intro Don Don! (Intro Dondon!) 610-0374-05
  17. Let's Play Othello / Othello Shiyouyo 610-0374-100
  18. Mausuke's Ojama za Warudo (Mausuke No Ojama The World)
  19. Pebble Beach Golflinks : The Great Shot 660-1373-17
  20. Princess Kurara Daisakusen 610-0374-07
  21. Print Club 5
  22. Pro Mahjong Kiwame S 610-0374-03
  23. Puyo Puyo Sun 610-0374-11
  24. Sando-R: Puzzle & Action / Treasure Hunt / BoMulEul Chajara 610-0373-11
  25. Sea Bass Fishing 610-0374-85
  26. Shanghai : The Great Wall / Shanghai : Triple Threat 610-0374-02
  27. Shienryu 610-0374-13
  28. Soukyugurentai (Terra Diver) 610-0374-06
  29. Steep Slope Sliders 610-0374-107
  30. Suiko Enbu (Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty) 610-0374-01
  31. Super Major League / Final Arch (Final Arch) 610-0373-05
  32. Super Major League / Final Arch (Super Major League) 610-0373-12
  33. Taisen Tanto-R 'Sasissu!' / DaeJeon! SanJeonSuJeon 610-0373-67
  34. Tecmo World Cup '98 610-0374-89
  35. Virtua Fighter Kids 610-0373-14
  36. Virtua Fighter Remix 610-0373-02
  37. Virtual Mahjong 610-0374-12
  38. Winter Heat 610-0373-40
  39. Zenkoku Seifuku Bishojo Grand-Prix : Find Love 610-0374-77

I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance.

It looks like I have four that you don't have:

1. Die Hard Arcade
  2. Print Club 5
  3. Tecmo World Cup '98
  4. Super Major League

That means you have eight which I don't which. It looks like they are:
  1. Cotton 2
  2. Golden Axe The Duel
  3. My Fair Lady - Virtual Majyongg II
  4. Radiant Silvergun
  5. Elandoree
  6. Maru-Chan de Goo!
  7. Danchi de Hanafuda: Okusan Komeya Desu yo!
  8. Danchi de Quiz: Okusan 4taku Desu yo!

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
something about it im just not digging.

i think the big thing is the games though.

Nice arcade. A bit unorganized, but mine is worse. Some real gems in there. Dedicated Gals Panics are uncommon to say the least. That 4 slot looks pretty cherry, and that Dynamo with the Naomi would look nice with a marquee and lamp installed, maybe a few move strips. Thats a pretty extensive light gun collection.

Like not sonic said though, a few things would benefit from some adjusting.

I can't remember the last time I've seen that many 1990's cabinets without seeing a single Street Fighter. I think it would help to complete the picture. Toss cvs2 in that Naomi cabinet and convert that 50" over to Third Strike. And just cause I'm a street fighter nut i'd convert something else to Super Turbo and it will be ULTIMATE.

No offense taken, but do remember: these are Jamma cabs. It shouldn't matter what game is currently in the cab, because it takes about, mmm, maybe 20 seconds, to swap out the game.

Anyhow, I threw Street Fighter III: Second Impact in the 33-inch showcase and Super Street Fighter II Turbo in the 50-inch. Enjoy!

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

I don't know if you wanna call it feng shui or what, but the placement of that Maximum Force just doesn't seem right. Seeing it pressed up against the projection cab and an empty space on the other side. Maybe something to the left of the showcase would help to balance it out a bit, maybe finding a new spot for MF entirely.

The problem with that is that if I put another cab to the left side of the projection cab, then I am effective blocking the doorway in and out of the office. Might be fine if I want to live in the office for the rest of my life, but I don't. :p

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance.

It looks like I have four that you don't have:

1. Die Hard Arcade
  2. Print Club 5
  3. Tecmo World Cup '98
  4. Super Major League

That means you have eight which I don't which. It looks like they are:
  1. Cotton 2
  2. Golden Axe The Duel
  3. My Fair Lady - Virtual Majyongg II
  4. Radiant Silvergun
  5. Elandoree
  6. Maru-Chan de Goo!
  7. Danchi de Hanafuda: Okusan Komeya Desu yo!
  8. Danchi de Quiz: Okusan 4taku Desu yo!

I'm surprised you have Mausuke..I've seen that game exactly once...and I snagged it. :) I have no clue how to play it though..it's very odd.

Maru-Chan & the Danchi games I hade to get from Japan directly..they never show up on ebay. The rest weren't that hard to get a couple of years ago at least.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The problem with happ joysticks is they suffer from "wobbling" back and forth when you tap and let them go at the same time. This makes it harder to double dash in fighters. Also, the competition's actuator sucks, and the super is just too damn sensitive towards diagonals. Not to mention that I always get nasty blisters thanks to the rough-textured bat-tops.

I have an older pair of bat-tops with square actuators that came with the Dynamo I got from 68k a while back. I actually really like those joysticks, but I don't know if you can get those anymore. They have smooth bats instead of the textured ones you get today. I'm not sure if they are even happ.
Maybe they suck for you and the washer machine skills you put on the pedestal (jk), but for me they are just fine. I'll give you this though; the supers are sticks that do require precision above anything else. I never let go of the stick and I have no problems dashing/backdashing, but then again at the end is all a matter of prefference and style of playing.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
As for all this Marvel hate, its to be expected. I can't think of any 2d fighter with a more rediculous learning curve. If you weren't counting the days til your local arcade got this game in, you're probably better off sticking with those doujin style guilty gear games.

I hate MvC2 for one reason: I suck at it. I have still not gotten used to the whole tag/assist concept of it. Ok, two reasons, that and the soundtrack for that game sucks.

I prefer Super Street Fighter II Turbo or Street Fighter III Second Impact instead. Though I have to admit, lately, I have gotten into the Vampire Savior series, and I have been enjoying VS2 quite a bit.